• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-06]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
*sigh*...this has been bugging me for a while...but if there's one thing I noticed with Answerfans lately is...well...walls of text.

Every single godamn email is some uptight, uber grammatically efficient essay suitable to use as a college entrance paper.

How I miss thee days when we read replies composed of just 2-3 sentences, perfectly valid, and quite humorous at that... Sad
Kimyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
A Death Note videogame where you could be Light and try to create the new world, or L and try to catch Kira. That could be cool.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
A Death Note videogame where you could be Light and try to create the new world, or L and try to catch Kira. That could be cool.

Or a game where you can be Lupin 3rd, and Spike and Motoko have to hunt you down.

Or maybe even Spike trying to catch Vash; that would be fun.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Well I've always liked the answerman column so a new perspective is nice.

I'm going to have to write down my game idea hmmm, fusion sounds good.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I think an anime-themed Sim City-type or Civilization-type development game, which heavily exploits common genre tropes and has hidden characters from a number of different series, would be a vastly amusing concept. Of course, you'd have to have both mecha and non-mecha versions.

A mecha-themed or super-powered-teen-themed redefinition of the classic monster arcade game Rampage might also be amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a lot of hemming and hawing about it, and look where we are today – as big as Anime Expo and Otakon still are to this day, the only events during those conventions that tend to sell out and garner huge, traffic-stopping lines are the concerts.

Maybe from Japanese tourists, but that's about it.

Quote:
Which, to be fair, isn't all that much – it's about the same cost to have Dir en Gray fly over for a gig as it would be to book any number of relatively popular American bands.

No it's not, since the J-rockers don't have any presence here, so they take a pay-cut and use the whole thing as a chance to sell an international album. Ami and Yumi are as big as they're gonna get right now. Otherwise, there's no chance in hell any con could afford these bands if they were as big in the States as they are in Japan.
Companies can't even license the rights to their music for certain shows; so why would it be any easier for a concert venue? Hell, considering how many people complain about the prices of American CDs, how many people do you really see paying the double the cost for the overseas stuff?

Quote:
Dir en Gray is happy to see fans from across the Pacific swoon over them into a comatose state, the fans are more than happy to pay a premium to see them, the creepy older men with cameras are happy to see all the little girls in their gothic lolita outfits, the con owners and exhibitors are happy to make a profit, everyone's happy!

But those cons don't make a profit; if they did, they would actually do a better job of dealing with over-crowding, instead of cutting corners at the expense of the attendees. These concerts are just an excuse to pay off "rising operation costs" most of the time.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
The new banners are super cool!! I love how the ANN circle-logo-thing is integrated into it, and the more cartoony-style for the Answerfans is perfect. Awesome work, Phillip!

Nice column, too. I especially liked the first answer, about creative output. Of course there are artists and writers who team up to make something (manga, webcomics, illustrated books, movies, etc...), but it's important to explore your own ideas and abilities too. And keep working on it! Create because you love it, not because you want to be rich and famous (starving artists and all that, right?)
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Only star trek has it worse.

Nah, Star Trek has it better. Its fans tend to have tolerance.

Love the new banners!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
I agree with Brian on the cons. During AX 2007 at Long Beach a group that was in the next door motel room where I was staying had parties going on, and the guys I was staying with also made friends with a stoner while they were there. Then one of my roommates drank too much and got kicked out of the hotel where the arcade was at. AND they called the police on him so we had to get him out of there as soon as possible so that he wouldn't get arrested.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
I feel exactly the same way as the first response to the question. I'll always be a "closet" anime nerd, because smelling bad, dressing like my clothes have been lying on the floor, and wearing worn out kitty ears to college doesn't appeal to me. I don't get it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
I think Brian is right that Ranma probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. It's also true that because the demographic watching anime was wrong from the advertisers view, Adult Swim basically said, "Thanks for watching, but we don't value you that much." Which is extremely irksome when I'm in they're beloved 18-34 male demographic. On another note, I don't really mind going to a small con that only gets American guests and typically the same ones. Sure I'd like a bit of variety or the occasional big name, but it's nice seeing the same people too, especially if one of them happens to be Carrie Savage.

As far as games go, while I think the concept of a Hellsing game has potential, there is also the notion that Alucard would pretty much take the challenge out of most situations. "Oh no, I'm taking a lot of damage. Oh wait, it doesn't matter because I'm Alucard."
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is one in Japan...

Yay Brian, on the first response. What you said is basically the summary of every "how to become a writer" book I've ever read. Forget about creating something so awesome that Noah Webster comes back from the dead to personally change the definition of "awesome" to your name. Just write and enjoy doing it.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
I found this article interesting enough. I love the banner. Excellent work, Mr Harrington!

sunflower wrote:
Nah, Star Trek has it better. Its fans tend to have tolerance.

They do? I nearly got torn apart once for praising Jean-Luc Picard as my favourite character while expressing disinterest in watching the Original Series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I think Brian is right that Ranma probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. It's also true that because the demographic watching anime was wrong from the advertisers view, Adult Swim basically said, "Thanks for watching, but we don't value you that much." Which is extremely irksome when I'm in they're beloved 18-34 male demographic.

I may be misconstruing, but what they don't have use for is the 12-17 demo, not yours. Besides, Ranma 1/2 is not their type of show anyways, despite many viewers' calls for it early in AS' life. It's not enough of a hardcore action they want, nor the teenage-crush situational --and as Viz (in)famously put it-- sex comedy as the type their AS comedy viewers like.

And it is a slow starter (as notoriously were long series of its era, for various reasons), even almost got cancelled after the first season. And this coming from someone, as mentioned here before, whose Ranma 1/2 videos hooked an anime-oblivious dormhall (yeah, the same demographics AS covets, but they walked in during mid-season and tracked back only much later). So it wouldn't have worked out.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't really have any ideas for video games. The only stuff that comes to mind is based solely around a game play not even related to whatever anime I used.

Quote:
I run a personal website out of my own pocket every month simply to showcase my silly, crappy cartoons, not because I want my cartoons to adorn T-shirts and get adapted into a big-budget CGI film by Dreamworks. I just love drawing silly, crappy cartoons, and feel the need to put them out there so people, however few they may be, can look at them.

So? Aren't ya going to give us the link? Or are you going to let this opportunity to shamelessly self promote pass you by?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9