• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tech TV Staff Laid Off

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flicker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
G4's page of questions about the TechTV Merger reports that "The G4 programming day will showcase many existing G4 and TechTV series such as G4's ICONS; PULSE; JUDGMENT DAY; PLAYERS, and CHEAT! as well as TechTV's ANIME UNLEASHED; X-PLAY; SCREEN SAVERS; FRESH GEAR; and ROBOT WARS."

Although the page doesn't seem to have been updated in regard to the latest news from Leo Laporte, I'm hoping they'll stick with at least X-Play and The Screen Savers.

Yes, this reply doesn't have much to do with anime, but hey! It is slightly on topic.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Hah! I bet X-Play's Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb are the first to get their heads on the chopping block.for having such a lame @ss show with unfounded reviews. Twisted Evil
But my sympathy for the staff @ Screen Savers & Call for help (I think.)
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
80 people are going to be rehired, so i don't think any on air personalities will be leaving. i just hope they don't get rid of anime unleashed. would suck if they didn't get to finish Last Exile after spending so much money on that license.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Well at least anime unleashed is still intact. As for the other shows I don't really care...If Adam Sessler and Morgan Web get back on X-play so be it, I just hope there not as wacky as before and I wish Adam was like as he was way back in the days of Extended Play. Maybe they should have Adam West(the actor that played the original batman) be a co host or even the host of his own show....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
G4 is a rotting piece of flesh that's latched onto a good cow.

The result?

More rotting flesh. Anime Unleashed won't pull in an audience after this year, especially with such "classics" as Judgement Day. Rolling Eyes
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
No more Martin Sargent, Adam Sellar, Morgan Webb, Patrick Nortin, Leo Laporte, and all the other TechTV members we all know and love?

Bad move G4. Bad move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
i say good riddance. almost all of them annoy me. i didn't really mind martin sargent, kevin rose, and laura swisher. everyone else just plain annoyed me.

then again, they might replace them with even more annoying people...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked Adam Sessler...at least back when he hosted the original version of X-Play...and no, it wasn't Extended Play, it was before that, when Kate Botello (remember her?) was still his co-host. He actually sounded professional and like he knew what he was talking about, and the reviews seemed to reflect that attitude. As Extended Play, during which Kate left, he still maintained that attitide, but the move to X-Play changed everything, with a new co-host whose only purpose was to be eye-candy (I'm not a fan or Morgan Webb) and a really wise-ass attitude that degraded my respect for them...

Oh, are we talking about anime here?

As for Anime Unleashed, I hope it does stay...and who knows? Maybe G4 will give AU a better presentation...and I'm not talking about commercials (I got used to thoses).
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I only hope they keep the TSS crew and Leo, as for Adam and them, I agree, back in the Gamespot TV days, Adam was GREAT, but now he acts like a whiny 5 year old 98% of the time, also I hope they keep AU, I'd like to see the rest of Last Exile, and see Battleflag/Banner of the Stars along with the prequel to the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about everybody here, but g4tv.com is MUCH worse then x-play. I do agree that Adam used to be cool and not too anal when Kate Botello was working with him. Actually after Kate left Screen Savers, that show wasn't the same. Screen Savers seems kinda lame since Leo is back on Call for Help. Morgan Webb was OK but she kinda seem like a poser when she was on SS. Guess she got so popular because she is a FLCL fan (lol!)..

Ah well better get tickets for TechTv shows before they move down to LA.. Sad haha wonder if those techtv swag is going to pop up on ebay as a rare item! hahaha!
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hah! I bet X-Play's Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb are the first to get their heads on the chopping block.for having such a lame @ss show with unfounded reviews.

I think X-play is good show. Sure Adam is a bit annoying now but it still better than Tommy Talaricco on the Electric Playground (a video game program that was on then Discovery Science, not a good show with REALLY unfounded reviews) .

Quote:
I dunno about everybody here, but g4tv.com is MUCH worse then x-play.

The only good thing I can think of G4 is that is got a good presentation.

Hopefully they will have some good programs with the merger.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:35 am Reply with quote
Some of G4's shows are good. Also I liked Adam Sessler when he did extended play. Oh and the electric playground is no-where near as good as judgement day, EP doesn't even give 1 bad review it is all go buy go buy go buy NOW!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
iamthatdizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
I liked Adam Sessler...at least back when he hosted the original version of X-Play...and no, it wasn't Extended Play, it was before that, when Kate Botello (remember her?)
As for Anime Unleashed, I hope it does stay...and who knows? Maybe G4 will give AU a better presentation...and I'm not talking about commercials (I got used to thoses).

IT was called Gamespot TV (think gamespot.com) and I dont believe AU will be back, the ratings aren't there (although it could be because it is on too late at night)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
iamthatdizzy wrote:
I don't believe AU will be back, the ratings aren't there (although it could be because it is on too late at night)

Well, so far they've said it's staying. At the moment at least, it seems they're keeping it around.

Maybe if they actually start telling us what's on & when, ratings will increase. With the way they carry AU, I'm not surprised it's lagging. Hell, the only way you know what's on is by subscribing to the newsletter, and even those notifications are same-day or a day late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
iamthatdizzy wrote:
I don't believe AU will be back, the ratings aren't there (although it could be because it is on too late at night)

Actually, AU was moved to late nights because it had unspectacular ratings in the afternoon slots. However, I have heard that the recent "Last Exile" primetime ratings were pretty good, though whether or not that means anything has yet to be seen.

And Electric Playground...*shudder* a good reason why you shouldn't use a music composer (Tommy Tallarico) as your show's host.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4