• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS movie 2011 and more info

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texvindictive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
By HOLY COW and KITTY SENSEI
Sunday January 4, 2009
http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2009/1/4/movies/2931245&sec=movies 

Ghost in the Shell

It was a three-way fight between behemoths Universal, DreamWorks, and Sony to obtain the rights to this legendary anime. In the end, it was Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks that emerged the winner.

The plan is to make Ghost in the Shell into a “3D live action movie”. It would be interesting to see how the cyborgs of this cyberpunk anime and manga will fare in the master’s hands. Spielberg, after all, has been very reliable when it comes to churning out blockbusters.

The story, which is based on Masamune Shirow’s manga, first published in 1989, spawned two anime films, an anime series, and several video games. The protagonist is cyborg Motoko Kusanagi, a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission, which fights technology-related crime.

“Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite stories,” Spielberg said in an interview with Variety in April. “It’s a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks.” Scheduled release: 2011
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
This goes in the anime forum AND it's off topic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
This goes in the anime forum AND it's off topic.

Well actually, isn't it based on the manga rather than the anime? If so it sort of is appropriate here. I don't know that it's off-topic but I would certainly agree it is unclear as to what the point of this topic is meant to be.
Katane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious to see if Steven Spielberg can pull it off. my bigest concern is if he can to pull off Motoko, she is a one of a kind of character, At lease that's how I see it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I think this is more of a anime forum thing but oh well. I see allot of flaws in the idea of Ghost in the Shell live action. One, if Steven Spielberg wants to do a live action anime thing then why not focus on his plans for the live action Old Boys. I was looking forward to this idea because it seems like it could work well. Two, there's already a live action Ghost in the Shell (more or less). Has everyone forgoten the Matrix so quickly. Sure it wasn't a direct live action adaptation, but it was inspired by Ghost in the Shell. Also, does Ghost in the Shell really need a direct live action movie?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Katane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Why not? Who knows, it might be pretty good. On the other hand It could blow up in his face but only time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Katane wrote:
I'm just curious to see if Steven Spielberg can pull it off. my bigest concern is if he can to pull off Motoko, she is a one of a kind of character, At lease that's how I see it anyway.

Actually she was kind of a three of a kind character if you catch my drift...
Mushi-Man wrote:
Has everyone forgoten the Matrix so quickly. Sure it wasn't a direct live action adaptation, but it was inspired by Ghost in the Shell. Also, does Ghost in the Shell really need a direct live action movie?

I've always felt that the Matrix was, well, the opposite of GitS (Any adaption) GitS was very cynical, unepic, realistic in it's presentation. The Matrix on the other hand, went the epic route of Prophesies! Chosen One!s, long, drawn-out martial art scenes and overuse of violence. Take the various fights against the Spider Tank/HAW303 (But the movie especially) and compare them to the Lobby Shootout in the Matrix. The Matrix one had lots of people firing automatics everywhere. GitS use the violence in miniscule amounts, which in my very personal and arrogant opinion, is better use. Notice that the Major always looses that match, if not for someone appearing with an AT weapon.

I haven't watched much Spielberg, (Come to think of it, I haven't watched any!) but it seems he is interested in the project, which increases the chances it will be a successful adaption. The movies and SAC themselves are adaptions, and look what they managed! (IIRC, Oshii had no input from Shirow wahtsoever, and had to work with only 350 pages of Graphic Novel and some pages in an art book. I know some people didn't like his movie so well, but they usually use the word "overrated" not the word "bad.")

(Parentheses)
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Being a huge GITS fan, I am looking forward to this. After the Matrix, which was indeed inspired heavily by Ghost in the Shell (I mean, I think the directors actually used Ghost in the Shell to pitch the idea to the companies), I know it can be pulled off. And, considering GITS itself was inspired by Blade Runner, it is certainly a doable series. I almost get the feeling, though, that Spielburg is trying to use GITS to compete against Akira and Battle Angel, both of which are supposed to come out around the same time. Curious...
Katane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I got a feeling that he just happen to be a fan of GITS and wanted to do a 3D movie on it. At any rate all we can do is sit back and wait for it. I'm really looking foward to seeing this.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
LatwPIAT wrote:
Katane wrote:

If you're talking about what I remember from the manga, then that's pretty funny. Smile
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
LatwPIAT wrote:
Katane wrote:

If you're talking about what I remember from the manga, then that's pretty funny. Smile

Eh... No. That's not what I'm talking about. I assume you're reffering to those beautifully drawn splash panels in chapter two where she spends her R&R with some friends. Nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean, say no more say no more.

I'm talking about how she had wildly different characterization depending on who wrote her. Shirow's is downright bipolar, going from angry in one second to introspective in anothe. Oshii's doesn't really have any feelings to speak of, and feels like an empty shell of a human, while in SAC she is the stoic most people associate with her.

So, how do you think Spielberg will characterize her?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1