• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2004 Anime Preview Guide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
how do you guys decide these shows?
i have to say i absolutely love Monster, but come on! you could've picked better choices than that other stuff. what about about GANTZ? what about Tenjou Tenge? What about Yugo? all of the of these shows far surpass anything on that list.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quote
At the time Cassandra and I were discussing it, I had personally wanted to do more. We both knew there were a lot more shows than just six, but we narrowed it down because we weren't certain yet how much work was going to be to do this, but certainly wanted to cover more than one genre.

Like Yugo, Tenjou Tenge premiered between seasons (before the beginning of April anyway) so I counted it as having been out too long. While it is a decent series, I personally dislike the opening theme music, and find the artwork to be ugly when compared to the manga counterpart. Also, seeing as Zac had already left comments on the forum, thus having had a recent thread on it, it would have been redundant.

This is our first time in writing up the preview, and if we have the opportunity to do it later, (say for the Fall) then we will cover more shows, therefore giving a better scope overall of what is being shown. All constructive statements are welcome. All flames will be ignored. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:56 am Reply with quote
I have seen some of pretty much everything on your list but Midori no Hibi, and was avoiding it untill I read your review, so I downloaded the first 5 eps last night. It really it rather pointless, but oi, the 4th and 5th eps are my faves so far. That show is completely on crack, and I'm loving it.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
how do you guys decide these shows?
i have to say i absolutely love Monster, but come on! you could've picked better choices than that other stuff. what about about GANTZ? what about Tenjou Tenge? What about Yugo? all of the of these shows far surpass anything on that list.

The goal is to show a variety of shows that are just starting. We can't cover EVERY new show each season. (The previous previews didn't cover every single show either.)
We got together, made a list of shows and picked 6 at random. Only six were chosen because of the time limits we had on this particular article. Hopefully next season we can make the list a bit larger. However, we still will not be able to watch EVERY new show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:09 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Like Yugo, Tenjou Tenge premiered between seasons (before the beginning of April anyway) so I counted it as having been out too long. While it is a decent series, I personally dislike the opening theme music, and find the artwork to be ugly when compared to the manga counterpart. Also, seeing as Zac had already left comments on the forum, thus having had a recent thread on it, it would have been redundant.

Wrong. Tenjou Tenge premiered the first weekend of April, right alongside most everything else. Ragnarok and a handful of others premiered a few days afterward on the 6th. It's just as much a part of this season as everything else.

I personally love the opening theme. I get it stuck in my head all the time.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

Wrong. Tenjou Tenge premiered the first weekend of April, right alongside most everything else. Ragnarok and a handful of others premiered a few days afterward on the 6th. It's just as much a part of this season as everything else.
D'oh! I mixed my dates on this one. Embarassed
Quote:
I personally love the opening theme. I get it stuck in my head all the time.
I just couldn't buy into it. It is catchy, I'll give it that, but the "let's insert a lot of bad Engrish into a gritty urban beat song" has been done before. In fact, my general take was the same with Bakuretsu Tenshi's OP theme as well.

Just a matter of differing tastes here though, as the theme music really isn't the crux of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1