• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bottles in the Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
The colors on the side of each review aren't right =(

\o/ Baccano! getting Shelf Worthy. TOTALLY deserves it, excellent series.

(But I think you may have spoiled a bit too much of it O_O;; )
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I randomly watched episode 1 of Lollipop over a year and a half ago, and did not continue. I think it was pretty obvious that it was an anime aiming for the children demographic. While that demographic might exist in Japan, I'm not really sure it does here aside from what's broadcast on television.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yay for Baccano! being shelf-worthy! More incentive for me to get a second job...

I... felt let down by Red Garden. I felt the backstory explaining everything wasn't really fleshed out, and I wound up sympathizing more with the bad guys than the good guys. It wasn't bad by any means, but it didn't satisfy me in the end. I know other people have felt differently, though, it's just a personal thing for me.

Dead Girl was just dumb. I mean, really, really dumb. I'm not sure what the point of it was. It's set in the distant future, but they reuse all the same character designs and names and add in mecha... was it supposed to be a semi-parody? I'm not sure. Still, it's nice that they included it with the regular series, I guess. :/
alifemde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
At least Red Garden grew into something fun, and had a pretty decent ending... I couldn't get past episode 5 of Baccano!!!111!!! (Ugh... I find it pretty lame when they put in exclamation marks in the title of shows).

All of the main characters of Baccano (all 25 of them) were either mentally handicapped, annoying, psychotic (meaning OVER THE TOP psychotic, as only bad writers can write them), or mentally handicapped, annoying AND psychotic. It's hard to stick with a show when you detest every character involved. And please don't claim that the forward-backward-sideways time jumps (without explaining when each cut takes place) is good storytelling... It's actually lazy and poor plotting. Honestly, where is all this love for Baccano coming from? Are people just loving it for its "style"? The Bebop had style too, but it had good characters and great stories. One out of three is terrible odds.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
alifemde wrote:
At least Red Garden grew into something fun, and had a pretty decent ending... I couldn't get past episode 5 of Baccano!!!111!!! (Ugh... I find it pretty lame when they put in exclamation marks in the title of shows).

All of the main characters of Baccano (all 25 of them) were either mentally handicapped, annoying, psychotic (meaning OVER THE TOP psychotic, as only bad writers can write them), or mentally handicapped, annoying AND psychotic. It's hard to stick with a show when you detest every character involved. And please don't claim that the forward-backward-sideways time jumps (without explaining when each cut takes place) is good storytelling... It's actually lazy and poor plotting. Honestly, where is all this love for Baccano coming from? Are people just loving it for its "style"? The Bebop had style too, but it had good characters and great stories. One out of three is terrible odds.

Um, because unlike you we love the characters and the story?

And it's not "lazy" at all. It's called "metafiction," and it actually takes a lot of work to do. The opening episode lays out the theme that life doesn't move in a series of sequential episodes, that there is not beginning to stories, no main character, and ultimately no ending. Would you call Slaughterhouse 5 or Catch-22 lazy? They employ similar methods.

Oh, and I'd contest eternally the "decent ending" on Red Garden, and say that I'd rather have characters be psychotic than spend the bulk of the series crying and feeling sorry for themselves, but that would be bitchy. :p
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
i. want. that. cat.

seriously.

(I keep wanting to like Baccano, but the descriptions I am reading sound like the whole series emphasizes the exact things I hated about the first episode, which I saw as a fansub last.. spring? I think Baccano is a no-go for me... at least until an actual boxset releases. Then I'll contemplate it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
holybell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy that you rated Baccano! as one of the Shelf Worthy titles. \^__^/ It's truly an awesome series and I'm glad that I was able to see it before it was licensed. I'm definitely putting this series in my anime collection. ^__^b

And yeah, I might as well pickup Red Garden as well. I find that I actually enjoyed it, despite the flaws in the series.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That cute is TOO CUTE. Guh.

You mean "That cat is TOO CUTE."? 8D
leoncloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Baccano is like a ugly duckling, you just cant judge it at first glance.
Honestly i was getting a bit irritated at how the story was presented, and what annoying emo-anal characters they had. But when i finished the entire series and saw the whole picture, then it dawned on me,
what a beautiful story it was. It maybe a bit confusing at first, but
if you watch till the end, you will see plot unfold. When you get to the back story, and see the events on the ship, everything is pretty
clear cut from there. After that the fun begins, and you just cant help
but think what a small world it is after all.
Not to mention Isaac + Miria = FTW!

They need more shows with people like those two, emo-anal people
are so annoyingly depressing orz.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
The colors on the side of each review aren't right =(

Haven't you heard? Nobody is a cylon.

Only 1 of 4 on the titles this week, sadly that is an improvement, but we shall see how it actually turns out.

Hooray, it's been a while since the last alphabetized collection (aside from the confusing part where it transitions between anime & manga through American TV anyway.) It would be nice to have a non-thumby first pic though. I feel sorry for the cat, light is bad.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Um, Bamboo, the colors on the left side of each review is off, they're all red instead of the ones for each category they're in. But good reviews!

Last edited by Faceman on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
I expected the negative review on Save Me Lollipop. Seriously I have no clue what Funimation was thinking licensing this series unless they had to license this series to get something else. But honestly I just don't know why, this series I just don't think can appeal to hard core otaku. Thankfully though Baccano was given it's rightfully deserved place on Shelf-Worthy. This was fully deserved. Looking forward to seeing reviews on Shigurui and other shows.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
Obviously, one of them falls in love with her. And, of course, a handful of other men, because that's the way these types of shows work.

Quick question here: are you saying that a handful of other men fall in love with her, or that the guy who falls in love with her also falls in love with a handful of men?

Cause it really sounds like the latter, but I don't think that's quite the usual way those shows work. Very Happy Main girl has to compete with a bunch of guys for her love interest, heh.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised you didn't mention the dub of Baccano. It's really unique that they're actually accented characters, and something that should have deserved a comment.

Props for Red Garden, too. I will say I HATED the art style when the show aired, and it didn't really do anything for me in general. I still think it's absolutely hideous art, but the dub has hooked me enough that I'm interested in watching beyond the first couple episodes now. Certainly on my to-buy list!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
Holy moley! Funimation truly has become the uncontested big time anime distributor. I mean, everything in this week's Shelf Life is all Funi!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3