• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tony Oliver on Adventures in Voice Acting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty cool that they offer classes geared specifically towards anime voice acting. So many at least claim to want to be a voice actor, but don't know how to go about it, so this bit of help is nice.
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to bold your last question.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This is a really cool concept, and if I lived anywhere remotely near Burbank, I'd love to give the beginner's class a shot. I've done a bit of incredibly amateur voice-work for a few fan-created mods of a certain PC game that I play, and while I've never remotely come close to what anyone who actually does this for a living would call "good," part of me has always wondered if I had any sort of potential for doing it for real.

(Can't say I blame Tony for wanting to have been a part of Bebop, either. Smile)
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The classes sound interesting! If I lived remotely near the location and wasn't so shy, I'd probably take them up on it.

I've done some voice work for some fan-made Warcraft audio dramas that I think turned out pretty well, but that was from home. I think getting in a booth in front of/with others would give me "stage" fright. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's my turn.

The class sounds really interesting and If I lived anywhere near Burbank I'd attend.

I've done some voice-over work for local radio stations and I'm constantly told by like, everyone, that I should be a voice actress. I'm more realistic about it though. If the opportunity ever came across to audition I certainly would but I don't have my heart set on making it big as the most successful and popular voice actress ever.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to think it's some kind of lucrative and glamorous career.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to go to these voice acting classes/tutorials, but there's no way I'm going to California to do it. If only they had this sort of thing near me, I'd go in a heartbeat.

I don't see voice acting as a glamorous career, but I do think it would be a whole lot of fun. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Tony Oliver shouldn't be too disappointed he wasn't part of Cowboy Bebop's dub, because he was the voice of Lupin III, whose adventures somewhat influenced that show. And, if I may say, he was probably the best dub voice for the famous thief.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xKohai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people who say they want to get into voice acting are actually insecure about their voices when it comes down to it. This is a great opportunity for those who are seriously interested in working in this field, and not only is there an incentive to get your voice heard, but you also get one-on-one time with the mic and a professional view on voice acting!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
So this and Bob Bergen's Voice-Over Workshop are a couple of the better known VO workshops out there.

Oh, in case anyone is interested what a VO workshop feels like, from someone who spent money attending a class: Laughing
(Bergen not only spends half the time teaching how to VO but the other half about the actual business how to become a VA.)

"Top 5 Things I Learned in Bob Bergen's Voice-Over Class"
xKohai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So this and Bob Bergen's Voice-Over Workshop are a couple of the better known VO workshops out there.

That recorded phone conversation with Mel Blanc and Bob Bergen's is priceless!

Mel Blanc: How did you get my number??
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
Very good article. But comparing anime with american cartoons, shouldnt anime be put in the category of dubbing instead? There are also dubbing schools in Italy, Spain, Hong Kong, Phillippines etc. specializing in dubbing films, documentaries etc. So in this case voice acting and translation go together.

Unless Cartoon Network broadcasts cartoons from other countries....Or if CN cartoons are dubbed in Spanish, French etc.

except the category of voice-over there is also the category of audiovisual description for the visually impaired.

another good VO school is this

http://www.voiceover-training.com/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
xKohai wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That recorded phone conversation with Mel Blanc and Bob Bergen's is priceless!

Mel Blanc: How did you get my number??

Now that's persistence!
Can just imagine a seiyuu mags paparazzi stalking like that.
The great Mel Blanc probably won't make it on any seiyuu/VA idol list though because he was not a looker. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tony Oliver shouldn't be too disappointed he wasn't part of Cowboy Bebop's dub, because he was the voice of Lupin III, whose adventures somewhat influenced that show. And, if I may say, he was probably the best dub voice for the famous thief.

No kidding,and also in robotech as well FYI. though playing as Sena in the GXP series had a lot of people scratchng their heads.

Also i though he was a lot younger cause the dub version for Lupin sounded like a young man,was the same thing when he played as Shindo in Tokko. Just goes to show that you can't judge anyone's character by the sound of their voice.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks, ANN, for an interesting interview! Smile

As a fan of parody fandubs and abridged series, I know that many of the talented young adults involved in the hobby have explicitly stated that they want to become voice actors. They've already proven that they can do voices (and edit video); many have a well-established fan base, so I suggest they go for it and ask their fans for scholarship money to attend a professional workshop.

They have the charm and sense of humor to get away with asking for the cash, and I'm sure many fans would love to see their favorite "abridgers" become VAs!

As for me, well, it sounds like fun. When I get over my stage fright and finally work up the nerve to join my local community productions, I'll think about it! Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Thanks, ANN, for an interesting interview! Smile

As a fan of parody fandubs and abridged series, I know that many of the talented young adults involved in the hobby have explicitly stated that they want to become voice actors. They've already proven that they can do voices (and edit video); many have a well-established fan base, so I suggest they go for it and ask their fans for scholarship money to attend a professional workshop.

They have the charm and sense of humor to get away with asking for the cash, and I'm sure many fans would love to see their favorite "abridgers" become VAs!

As for me, well, it sounds like fun. When I get over my stage fright and finally work up the nerve to join my local community productions, I'll think about it! Wink

True enough. I also want that as well,unfortunately those fansubbers and abridged series it litteraterly riping off money from them which is why it's illegal. Which is probably why Bang Zoom created this so VA fans would try to get into voice acting their way and not just praying to be discovered through fansubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2