• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The World Warriors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Hajime no Ippo, I was actually surprised when shown that the game 'Victorirous Boxers Challenge' http://hry-pocitacove.cz/victorious-boxers-challenge-wii~velky.jpg was an Hajime no Ippo game >_> I know I've seen it around at work and know that there are cartoony characters in it (like most Wii games), but upon being told it was anime-based I looked and thought 'hey wait a minute... I know that guy!'

Theres probably alot of people buy that just as a boxing game for Wii, and not even realized what it's even based on.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Hell yes you mentioned Wade Hixton's Counter-Punch for the GBA and Magical Chases influences on Trouble Witches! Not many people are aware of those games existence. You have my respect.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Yahtzee from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation column wrote:
"Sonic is done, he's past it, he doesn't need more games, he needs help, specifically the kind of help that involves taking him behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrels through his confused oblivious little face, stuff him, mount him, re-purpose him as a litter picking device.

Seriously, can they stop with the Sonic games already? Just leave us to our Genesis memories. Yeah, sorry that the first thing I noticed was that Sonic has already come out with another game, but it's starting to annoy me really.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
STREEEET FIGHTER IV! Is awesome. Though it was hilarious how he bitched about inconsequential stuff to make it seem more like a "review" than "glowing unadulterated praise", which is what the game deserves. Freaking fight pads, selling out in the first week...

Sonic needs to go away, for real. He's past his prime, and Sonic Team has lost their magic. He can't even reinvigorate the franchise in creative or interesting ways like Nintendo does with their mainstays. Sonic with a SWORD. That just screams "Please make the agony stop, PLEASE!".
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Yahtzee from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation column wrote:
"Sonic is done, he's past it, he doesn't need more games, he needs help, specifically the kind of help that involves taking him behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrels through his confused oblivious little face, stuff him, mount him, re-purpose him as a litter picking device.

Seriously, can they stop with the Sonic games already? Just leave us to our Genesis memories. Yeah, sorry that the first thing I noticed was that Sonic has already come out with another game, but it's starting to annoy me really.

I'd rather them try harder to make a real sonic game and not these pathetic off shoots.

Take Mario 64 or Sunshine as a starting point, let him punch, run, crawl, jump,ect give him a stamina gauge for speed and one for slow mo(so you can control said speed) and let him at it. They are trying far to hard to to get away from what sonic is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
It's funny that the part about Border Break mentions that some fans were hoping it was the next step for Virtual On because this weeks Famitsu revealed Virtual On Oratorio Tangram for Xbox 360.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
I've still yet to play a single Sonic title released after Sonic & Knuckles. I feel perfectly comfortable continuing that trend indefinitely.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Very interesting on the FFIV:The After Years. Final Fantasy IV is one of my top favorites of the series. I hope that it someone does make it to the states in some form maybe as a port to a Nintendo system.

While looking through the characters bios I seen Palom and thought to myself, "Well he sure hasn't changed that much from when he was a kid. I wonder what his sister Porom looks like." Thankfully she didn't take after her brother at all and grew up. Smile
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I've still yet to play a single Sonic title released after Sonic & Knuckles. I feel perfectly comfortable continuing that trend indefinitely.

I am with you 100%.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
I agree with your points on SF4, especially the one about not enough new characters. Coming from the original SF2 generation myself, I feel like this game is Super Turbo with the same old cast. 3S's new characters have far more interesting variety in their moves than the original cast of 12 as much I love them.

At this point, I still prefer Alpha 3 and Third Strike. Alpha 3 because of its variety of supers and styles of play, and Third Strike because of its parrying system (being able to parry yourself from the brink of death is always satisfying) and its awesome 2d handrawn animation.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
I personally didn't care for the SFIII series much... Partly because a lot of the classic characters WEREN'T there and mostly because I didn't care for the changes in controls and the game scoring system. The timing for the characters felt off and frankly a lot of the new characters were very cheap.

(AI is not Capcom's strong point. Their fighting games have a history of lots of blocking and overpowered boss characters and cheap shots.)

It didn't help, either, that the new characters lacked the charisma of the older set. As great as the animation in SFIII was something about the artwork style lacked the pleasantness of the more anime-derivative SF Alpha series.

SFIV is a fine return to classic form. It's the most fun I've had with Street Fighter since the Alpha series and definitely my favorite since Alpha 3. This is the way Capcom fighters should be made from now on graphically. I love hand-drawn art but the meld of the old style with polys that add a three-dimensional depth and shadow works very well in this game. Here's hoping Capcom keeps this style if they ever decide to make Darkstalkers IV!

NOW, my big complaint...

Obviously, nobody really saw how big this game was going to be and that's the reason for the lack of joysticks and six-button pads for the game.

The standard 360 and PS3 pads just don't cut it. They SUCK for traditional 2-D fighting games that need 6-button faces! Button reassigments and using analog sticks for joysticks doesn't resolve the lack of proper face buttons. The D-pads on both controllers are also ineffective for pulling off moves, too.

Yes, there is outrageous scalping online (when isn't there even lack of scalping?) and half the controllers being sold for the game are frankly trash. The cheaper Mad Katz and Hori sticks just don't cut it... They're cheaply made and WILL eventually break sooner than you'd like. The Mad Katz TE and Hori Real Fighting Pro sticks are the ones to get. Sadly, the only control pad worth a damn for either PS3 or XBox 360 to play this game is long out-of-print and obtainable online only and only for PS3...

...That's the Saturn USB pad introduced about 4 years ago.

Technically, the pad WAS out-of-print but when someone found out it was compatible via USB hook-up to PS3 a Chinese factory with the Saturn pad molds and PCB parts started making the control unit again. Yes, it's technically a bootleg but it's the same parts, same quality as what was officially produced years ago The bootlegs are being sold online through the usual channels.

I verified this with an online retailer that bought and examined the USB units and you can bet Sega is looking into this now. Probably not much they can do about it (and they're probably KICKING themselves for NOT making USB pads now to capitalize on the SFIV controller craze!), but such is life and dealing with countries that don't respect international copyright laws.

(Ah, China and IP's... The lack of respect toward IP's will cost China plenty when THEIR IP's are ripped off as badly as they rip off everybody else's.)

Right now, I'm glad I got the Saturn USB pad 4 years ago to enjoy MAME and other emulators on my computer. It works very nicely with Street Fighter IV on the PS3!
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Seriously, can they stop with the Sonic games already? Just leave us to our Genesis memories.
It a real sad state of affair when the new games coming from Sega like Valkyria Chronicles and, from the looks of it, Mad World are great, but their core proprieties are sucking air. All they need to do now is turn a Street of Rage game that plays like Golden Ax Beast Rider for me to truly lose hope in Sega.

It might be me, but I got way too use to Playstation controller. I guess it from years of D to F + L1 (or X as I have it set up.) The 360's D Pad didn't look all that great to me.

As for "The After", I hope it finds a nice home on the DS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lastly, the Higurashi anime-game franchise will soon expand into arcades with AQ Interactive's Higurashi no Nakukoro ni-Jong. Yes, it's a Mahjong game based on a mystery series wherein flirty, sweet-faced girls slice up their boyfriends and force their sisters to rip out their own fingernails. The possibilities are staggering.

It's more likely than you think. Himatsubushi-hen had Akasaka playing mahjong with Oishi and two old dudes. Some Drama CD (can't remember the name) had the main cast playing mahjong. Both of these scenes was quite long and exciting. Also if this game has something that can be called a final boss it better be Akasaka, because he's the god of mahjong.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
Street Fighter IV is indeed awesome. My favorite next to Alpha 3 and II. I was never familar with III and from what I've played of it, I generally didn't enjoy.

I loved the design choice for the game. It looks a combination of cel-shading and 2-D graphics. It looks refreshing, while not alienating the feel or gameplay of the past games (ala EX3). The facial expressions when KOing an opponent or unleashing an ultra combo is always amusing to look at. I also loved that you can switch between Japanese and English voices for each specific character. I thought that a nice add from Capcom for all otakus. I have all of the American characters speaking English (aside from Ken) and Cammy as well. As much as I like hearing Seth's voice in English, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of hearing the rivalry between Akio Ohtsuka and Norio Wakamoto who does a badass M.Bison/Vega. Both great seiyuus respectively. I find it amusing to hear Hisoka from HunterxHunter (Hiroki Takahashi) as Ryu. I swear I hear a hint of him in every cutscene.

The only thing I don't like?.....Having to download alternate costumes via Marketplace. I could deal with having to pay to download additional characters, but not so much for costumes. Luckily I got the Collector's Edition, but from what I've seen, they're probably going to releases more for the other characters.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
I could deal with having to pay to download additional characters, but not so much for costumes.

Now there's an idea. I'd pay to add a character like Karin or Elena to SFIV.

Then again, I have no idea if something like that is even feasible. Is it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3