• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: Anime Music on iTunes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow that survey was over quick. Hopefully they will put more songs on iTunes, I would definately buy them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Wow that survey was over quick.

That's true. Fortunately I don't use iTunes or listen to very much music, so the outcome of this survey won't really affect me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
More anime songs the better.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, didn't even see that one before it was over. Razz

I have no interest whatsoever in purchasing any sort of music from iTunes, for the simple reason that I view paying for a lossy, DRM-encumbered digital version of a song to be utterly ridiculous. I suppose my viewpoint almost equally extends to DRM-free sources, though those get points for freedom of use. If I'm going to be paying money for music, I want it to be for an original-source-quality CD that I can hold in my hands and encode at whatever bitrate I wish, not something that's already been encoded. It's the same reason I'd never purchase television episodes or movies through such a service; if I want them, I'll buy the original DVDs.

(Now, if there was some store out there that started selling songs in a lossless format, such as FLAC, I'd be all over that.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't see it until it was too late, but I would have voted the "I wish domestically-licensed anime soundtrack CD's would make a comeback" option had that been an option.

I know it's not going to happen since the domestic anime distributors no longer have any large piles of money left to burn on side ventures where they'll never make a profit, but the key word is "wish". Personally, I don't even have an iPod or Zune; I still like getting all my music in a physical format.

And, before anyone asks, yes I did buy domestically-licensed soundtrack CD's in the late 1990's, back when Pioneer, Viz, Victor, and JVC put out a handful of either straight domestic versions of the Japanese soundtrack albums (except with translated liner notes) or bilingual soundtrack CD's with both the Japanese and English versions of the songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well in one aspect yes I would buy anime music but I think I'm more closer to anime-related music, like The Pillows music, over something tied to a particular series.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
That was over so quick that I wonder what the point was....

Personally, I buy lots of JPop - particularly anime soundtracks and theme songs - but I never download music. I refuse to get songs that are either in a lossy format or contain DRM. I certainly don't want to discourage any companies from putting music up on itunes and the like, but I'm not a fan of getting much of anything digitally. I want the hard copy. If I want a digital copy after that, I'll rip it myself. I have a very large collection of music in FLAC, but I've ripped it all myself. I'd consider buying music and videos digitally if they were full quality without DRM, but in general, I'm not a fan of the idea.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I should add that the theme song/character single CD's were the main reason that I bought the Lucky Star limited edition sets (well, up to volume 5, sniff) and were a factor in my buying the Haruhi Suzumiya limited edition sets (in addition to getting the episodes in Japanese TV broadcast order).

I'd still buy proper soundtrack albums for each show for the background music should Bandai Entertainment ever produce a domestic North American version; I don't care enough about the BGM to pay the full import price.
vrosario7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I did not catch the survey but I found read about it and found it interesting. Being a fan of j/pop/rock and anime theme songs, I would definitely encourage it. I was recently watching videos on Youtube and someone asked where they could find this Japanese rockband "Maximum the hormone's" (they are awesome by the way) cd, in the U.S. I suggested checking ebay but if Itunes had it, I believe many fans of the music would gladly purchase it from them because it would ease some of the frustrations that people have or might have with locating it. Might I also add, it may even ease the prices associated with importing them to the U.S.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
vrosario7 wrote:
I was recently watching videos on Youtube and someone asked where they could find this Japanese rockband "Maximum the hormone's" (they are awesome by the way) cd, in the U.S. I suggested checking ebay but if Itunes had it, I believe many fans of the music would gladly purchase it from them because it would ease some of the frustrations that people have or might have with locating it.

YesAsia.com offers free shipping to the U.S. with at least $39 of eligible items.

They have Maximum The Hormone CDs in stock.
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't get a chance to take part in that survey... Silly having it open for like a day only!

The end question is missing an option "Yes but I didn't buy it".

And the second question is missing "No, I prefer to import anime music from Japan".
Bling Bling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
theres no anime music on itunes unless you count crappy techno remixes and vic mignogna albums

you should bootleg all your soundtracks like i do lol
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Is there any official word on why this poll was so incredibly short? It seems a lot of members didn't even see the survey until it was closed (including myself – and I check this site several times daily). Were people abusing the survey or something?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Bling Bling wrote:
theres no anime music on itunes unless you count crappy techno remixes and vic mignogna albums

you should bootleg all your soundtracks like i do lol

and we sit wondering why the entertainment industries are struggling.....

Impatience is not a virtue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1