• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twelve Kingdoms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trusting any light novel plans by Tokyopop at all (I am still mad over Good Witch of the West) but amazon has a listing for book 3 now...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598169483

Not holding my breath, but it's a pleasant surprise with all the otherwise bad news coming out related to Tokyopop projects.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this one has been listed for at least a couple of weeks now. I will be seriously annoyed if it doesn't come out on schedule, even though I'm not that enthusiastic about this particular story. (It's the one that corresponds to episodes 41-45 of the anime.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, this one has been listed for at least a couple of weeks now. I will be seriously annoyed if it doesn't come out on schedule, even though I'm not that enthusiastic about this particular story. (It's the one that corresponds to episodes 41-45 of the anime.)

I've had the book on order with RightStuf since early October, and have been anticipating its publication since the last book (although my enthusiasm died down a little since I was reminded which story would be covered in this volume ^_^;; ).

This is the "magic" third volume of 12 Kingdoms. TP has dropped many of its novel series after their third volumes. I hope that the fact that this book will cover the anime's last arc won't hurt sales too greatly (given the general lack of enthusiasm about this particluar story), resulting in 12K's cancellation. Even if they continue on to #4, we may not know about it for a long time... /me crosses fingers.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
This mean that it's time for me to buy the second novel, at least... *has only the first book* ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The second novel has, I think, very recently come out in paperback, so it will also be a bit cheaper. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
I actually liked that arc a lot better than Taiki's. I'll be getting this for sure.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The second novel has, I think, very recently come out in paperback, so it will also be a bit cheaper. Wink

Thanks for the info. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Ingram, the book distributor our store uses, has it featured in the upcoming books catalog. I'll now happily concede that yes it is indeed about to come out. Thank you Tokyopop! Pre-ordering!!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently re-watching the anime, in preparation for reading the first book, which I have just bought in hardcover (the U.S. Tokyopop edition, not the Japanese edition). I'm glad to hear Tokyopop is keeping up the publication of this series.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd rate Sea of Shadows amongst the top 4-5 fantasy novels I've ever read, abunai - and I used to read a lot of fantasy novels, including most of the classics. You're in for a treat, except for the sucky world map.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd rate Sea of Shadows amongst the top 4-5 fantasy novels I've ever read, abunai - and I used to read a lot of fantasy novels, including most of the classics. You're in for a treat, except for the sucky world map.

I got the feeling that this story was a great fantasy by the anime alone, and I'm really picky about fantasy story (the only one I really liked, so far is The Lord of the Rings, go figure... most of the others feels "not real", to me... it this makes sense for a fantasy story... I hope you can understand what I mean ^^' ).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
:o Ingram, the book distributor our store uses, has it featured in the upcoming books catalog. I'll now happily concede that yes it is indeed about to come out. Thank you Tokyopop! Pre-ordering!!

My check with RightStuf's order status page this evening shows my copies of the third novel have arrived and been set aside to await the next Fruits Basket (same street date), or shipping, whichever comes first. The books exist! ^^;
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I was able to find a copy on the shelves at a local Barnes and Noble last night, but I'm guessing it wasn't actually supposed to be there. (The clerk who helped me find it - they stuck it in the Young Adults section, rather than the Manga or Fantasy section - had said it wasn't due out for a week yet, and so was surprised to find one on the shelf.) They still sold it to me, though, so I have it in hand.

I haven't started reading it yet, but the blurb on the inside cover indicates that the novel will cover both the story told in episodes 41-45 of the anime and the episodes involving Rokuta's (i.e. Enki's) origin story, which IIRC were in episodes 11-12. Expect a review in a week or two.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I was able to find a copy on the shelves at a local Barnes and Noble last night, but I'm guessing it wasn't actually supposed to be there. (The clerk who helped me find it - they stuck it in the Young Adults section, rather than the Manga or Fantasy section - had said it wasn't due out for a week yet, and so was surprised to find one on the shelf.)

Maybe it should be in the Young Adult section, given how poorly novels sell to the people who browse through the manga section...

I saw the book on the shelf at the comic shop that I visit. I wonder how long it'll take for RightStuf to kick it out the door to me. Hmm... Since it was 'processing' last night, it probably departed today. Priority Mail should at least get it to me in two days, rather than the one week that media mail takes...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear they're placing it with the YA instead of the manga/comic section then. Working in a bookstore myself, it aggravates me to no end that there are all these great Japanese fantasy novels being translated and it's only targeting a select niche. 12 Kingdoms I think could do very well on its own in the YA section, and the same goes with the Good Witch of the West series being placed in YA. They're books, not manga, that manga or anime were originally based off of. They deserve to stand on their own, and to be marketed AS books. Some girls and boys who love fantasy books and would be very likely to love the series won't go NEAR the manga section in fear of the plague.

/bookseller-librarian rant

I understand why they do it... it just annoys me. I'm glad 12 Kingdoms at least gets treated like a real book with a hardback release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9