• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, February 22-28

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Eden on a bestseller list?

That's good news.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I see that Naruto is doing well being 8 out of the top 10.

Good for Naruto but potentially bad for smaller series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

True enough, and might I just say, LRH, that you're attitude towards Naruto is prolly the most respectful response I've ever come across, and I sincerely thank you for that. It has at least somewhat restored my faith in fandom.

I'm very happy to see further recognition of manga and softcover books overall. This can only be a good thing for the industry imho.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

It's clearly the most popular series out right now. Of course I'd like to see more of my favorite authors up there (Urasawa Naoki!), but what can you do? The public likes what the public likes - and there are way worse series out there than Naruto.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I am very surprised to see MPD-Psycho on the list. I mean there are titles that sell well, that will never make a list like this, and then the list is usually left to the juggernauts. Not commenting on quality one way or another, just didn't expect to see it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VLOXY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This list is stupid.

It needs to be discontinued.

Most people who keep up with manga sales in North America understand that Naruto leads the pack.

This may change as the Narutards age and thus the list might become relevant.

Until then, the lack of comments in this thread prove that it is stupid.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just a great thing that the NYT has graphic novel best seller lists and one of the categories are for manga. It's a sign of recognition of the industry by the media. And it may raise awareness of manga to people who wouldn't be exposed to it otherwise.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that Naruto is leading the pack, but I am surprised that I don't see Bleach or even possibly Fruits Basket on there, with as popular as those series are as well.

Still, to see other titles on there breaking up the Naruto volumes is awesome too. Sure, I do admit I never heard of them, but seeing other titles is still good. And having a list like this in a national newspaper like The New York Times is always awesome since it shows that manga is starting to get into the mainstream a little more.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargon: Yeah, I'd figure Gantz or Berserk would be more likely. But I guess it's got a cross-over following, due to the live-action stuff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
This list is stupid.

Most people who keep up with manga sales in North America understand that Naruto leads the pack.

The list really should be: Top 10 excluding anything that's even remotely related to Shounen Jump.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
This list is stupid.

Chill out. I really like this, actually. Sure, while the Naruto Nation stuff is going on, it's gonna be mostly Naruto. But you know what, I never would have thought MPD Psycho or especially Eden would be right up there with Naruto, so yea, I think this list is pretty interesting.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:

But by then we'll have another generation of ____tards rooting for the latest shounen manga, which the former Narutards will hate and make snarky comments about. Yeesh... wanna knock Naruto off the chart? Then spread the word on your favorite manga to get people to buy it!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Would never have expected Eden to be on that list. Is there a more precise list of criteria?

More exposure like this is good in general for the comics industry, though.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
VLOXY wrote:
This list is stupid.

The list really should be: Top 10 excluding anything that's even remotely related to Shounen Jump.

There is a noticeable lack of sense in these posts.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
I think it's just a great thing that the NYT has graphic novel best seller lists and one of the categories are for manga. It's a sign of recognition of the industry by the media. And it may raise awareness of manga to people who wouldn't be exposed to it otherwise.

Exactly my sentiments. Also, I'll be following this weekly list far more closely than the USA Today one that's frequently reported on ANN, simply because the New York Times one actually has an entire list devoted solely to manga.

The USA Today one is still very useful, however, for comparing sales of manga against all other book formats, but I'm just really excited to be able to see a top-sellers list solely for manga in the US now. (or is the rest of North America included, too?)

I just wish they gave us actual numbers.
VLOXY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
My loyalty currently lies with the Japanese list.

Sure, exposure is great, but a list that is one subject is also bad exposure. It clearly shows a lack of depth to the manga reading audience.

Could it be that it is still difficult to attain manga in America? In my metropolitan area of Dallas, the comics stores still focus on American products. They have a small selection of manga and the larger chains have a homogenized selection (thus this list).

I have been trying to complete 3 collections by buying locally. It is almost impossible. So, I then tried anime festivals and had somewhat greater success. However, I am still lacking a few volumes.

I try hard to support locally but the Internet will eventually win I guess. Since the response I get from local stores is "We can order it for you." Well duh, I can do that too. I want it now, that is why I came into the store.

Where did it all go wrong?

I think I will leave my collections incomplete as a result of the problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3