• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tweeny Witches OVA DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Well I liked Tweeny Witches but then again I'm kinda into series that are "dark" and the series Art Style reflects that. So yeah I'm going to get this eventually but I've got other series that I need to finish as this is really just a "bonus" over necessary viewing.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
I like Tweeny Witches too, though I've only seen the first 6 episodes. I have the first 3 volumes, just haven't gotten around to finishing them yet. But it is a great series IMHO, and made me wish Japan would do more fantasy series instead of mainly focusing on sci-fi.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Carl once again lets it be known how disappointed he was with the series itself, how he ultimately chose not to get it for what it ultimately is, as opposed to the kiddy fluff he heard it was originally supposed to be.

I absolutely loved this charming series. *Everything* about Tweeny Witches made the series what it was, even including the dark moments and the characters' speeches, and the music's always been enjoyable to listen to, all leading to an epic finale that had me glued. And the heroines are truly heroines, and not stylized as fetishes for a male audience. Maybe from the beginning the creators intended it to be more kid-friendly, but as they developed it along it became bigger and far more than what they imagined, but something like that happens a lot, and in this case they made something truly unique. It's okay to still dislike this series, but I don't feel it's right to say what it *should* have been.

But I can agree that the 'Adventures' disc provides some relief, only because these are side-stories containing bonus narratives with the three heroines. We get to explore more of their world, and keep getting to see new aspects of everybody's character, particularly the episode with Sheila and the fairy. A couple of the stories are amusing, and a couple are surprisingly heartwarming, so this bonus DVD is a definite worthwhile companion to the series, as well as a nice finish to my collection of the series.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
taeko-san

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
It's kind of refreshing to see a magical girl series that is actually aimed at girls, and as a plus, it may actually entertain them.

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
probably won't hook anyone outside of its intended demographic.

Strange... It seems like I'm a girl! Cause I _really_ like the quirkyness of the series, the positively insane optimism of Arusu/Alice, the gorgeous Studio 4°C animation, the wacky sprites/fairies and the somewhat "superflat" take upon the Lewis Carroll legacy. I like quite a lot of slice-of-life and shoujo/jousei dramas too, but that's beside the point. "Tweeny Witches" is pure fun, even when it's going deep into fantasy angst territory - Arusu's constant involvement keeps it on the right end.

And seeing as this is turning back to the more crazy antics of the earlier episodes, I'm definitely waiting eagerly to fill the remaining void in my collector's box.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where the first season was a lumbering chore for children and adults alike, this season is about perfect for those too old for sugar like Sugar and too young for booze like Nanoha

Uh oh... here we go again... Confused
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had a chance to watch any of this yet, but I was happy to find my newly-arrived boxset included this OAV along with the TV series... I was wondering if I'd need to buy that extra release to have 'the whole thing'.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Haven't had a chance to watch any of this yet, but I was happy to find my newly-arrived boxset included this OAV along with the TV series.

Lucky, I bought the singles, but I find the series to be watchable (i.e. Watch it, enjoy it, talk about it) Now I wouldn't label it "Greatest Series Evar!", it is passable ( To the opposite end of really bad, this series didn't give me the urge to stare into the sun to burn it's image out of my mind or to make snarky comments about it in my first viewing)
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
the review wrote:
The content may have lightened up and the action quotient increased, but it's hard to have a rollicking good time when speeches disrupt the action, atmospherics hang like a dark cloud over the silliness, and the score is telling you to go hang yourself with your boxer briefs.
Someone please tell me I'm not the only person who is often more entertained by reviews like this than by the subject of the review. xD
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I saw this and will write a final review on my blog later. Some of the stories were rather interesting (such as how "Dragon-chan" became part of Eva's house) and some were boring. The thing that bothered me most though was how the art and character designs of episodes 3 and 4 were just ugly beyond belief. In my episode 3 review, I show a screen shot comparison of how the three girls look in each episode. Episode 3 looks terrible IMO, as did episode 4.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I saw this and will write a final review on my blog later. Some of the stories were rather interesting (such as how "Dragon-chan" became part of Eva's house) and some were boring. The thing that bothered me most though was how the art and character designs of episodes 3 and 4 were just ugly beyond belief. In my episode 3 review, I show a screen shot comparison of how the three girls look in each episode. Episode 3 looks terrible IMO, as did episode 4.

I can agree the animation's a little inconsistent, but I didn't let that deter my enjoyment anymore than I let the animation inconsistencies of Welcome to the NHK deter me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1