• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hollywood Company Acquiring Manga Remake Rights

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
Cool

This means that someone still thinks anime, manga and their stories have value enough to try to bring them over to us.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
Plus, we'll finally be getting Joust: the Movie! Rolling Eyes
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
A new company wanting to adapt manga/games might be a very good thing. At least, if they turn out to be better at it than the companies that have been doing adaptations. The amount of money they want to invest appears to be rather low budget since the Hollywood average has gotten a bit high over the years but I'll give them a chance to impress me.

At this point, impressing me only requires actually getting a movie made and released that is decent. Confused There have been a lot of disappointing adaptations over the years.

Joust huh? Well, Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a theme park ride and not even Depp's own agent thought that would be as awesome as it was.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Joust huh? Well, Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a theme park ride and not even Depp's own agent thought that would be as awesome as it was.

Proving that a good story/movie can be inspired by anything, I'm patiently waiting for The Beast or Twin Racers myself....as you know those actually do kinda sound like a movie or cartoon titles.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
This Summer...

Two enemies, two rivals, two competitors will face again, in the ultimate battle for supremacy.

Whoever wins, the other shall lose.

This Summer, Get Ready For...

Pong: The Movie

Directed by Michael Bay
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
This Summer...

Two enemies, two rivals, two competitors will face again, in the ultimate battle for supremacy.

Whoever wins, the other shall lose.

This Summer, Get Ready For...

Pong: The Movie

Directed by Michael Bay

Horribly off-topic but that does remind me of these fine joke trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvepYYNjfBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs

Back on topic

Good to know that these are small budget in a way, as it might influence what works they maybe picking up, as with the capital involved they might not be special effects extraveganzas.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Isn't Joust the game with a bunch of guys running around on ostriches? I pray to God that they make this a kids movie. Otherwise... I can't really see the same magic that worked for Pirates working here. But then again by watching Pirates I did forget it was about a ride so what do I know. Good luck to you Cerenzie-Peters Productions. Learn from the mistakes of Speed Racer.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
All these shows you keep hearing Hollywood bring up - Akira, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop - seriously, do any of those need a remake?? Maybe if you were making a multi-part version of Akira that could cover the whole manga, but this is just typical American unwillingness to accept animation as a legitimate medium.

Now, if they start doing some stuff that hasn't been adapted into an animated or movie format yet, then that would be awesome. (eyes Vol. 1 of "Pluto" on her shelf...)

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Isn't Joust the game with a bunch of guys running around on ostriches? I pray to God that they make this a kids movie. Otherwise... I can't really see the same magic that worked for Pirates working here. But then again by watching Pirates I did forget it was about a ride so what do I know. Good luck to you Cerenzie-Peters Productions. Learn from the mistakes of Speed Racer.

I loved Speed Racer.
No, it's not my fav movie ever, or maybe even in my top 10, but it was enjoyable. I've met others who feel the same, mostly people who didn't go into the theater with their minds made up to hate the film. I had no expectations whatsoever, not unlike Watchmen which I've never read. Speed Racer(anime) is such a distant memory for me I can't really remember any details about the title.
I'd have to say I enjoyed Speed Racer a hell of a lot more than Watchmen which, halfway thru I was thinking for an "action" movie, there really wasn't allthat much action, but it really wasn't a good mystery/detective title either. It was enjoyable, but not really fun or even cool.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I'd have to say I enjoyed Speed Racer a hell of a lot more than Watchmen which, halfway thru I was thinking for an "action" movie, there really wasn't allthat much action, but it really wasn't a good mystery/detective title either. It was enjoyable, but not really fun or even cool.

Well, I'm glad to hear that, because if you'd read the book you'd know it's not supposed to be an action movie, and it's not supposed to be "fun" either.

And if this post seems off-topic, so's yours. "Watchmen" is an adaptation of an American (sort of; Alan Moore is British) graphic novel, not of a manga title.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Over/Under on if they ever turn a profit?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Over/Under on if they ever turn a profit?

Over/Under we ever hear a peep from them again?

This strikes me as PR bullsh*t looking for money. If they really had something they wouldn't be dropping names like "Joust" and being incredibly vague about everything else.
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
The only thing missing (IMO) from Speed Racer was the "Talking Really Fast" thing.

Also Akira IS supposed to be 2 movies the first is supposed to cover the first half of the manga, while the 2nd covers the second part.

I don't think they are remaking the shows, but are making a movie (or a couple of movies) based on the show.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
Am I really going to be the first one who's going to comment on this? Okay I will... "asian manga books"

I think it was founded by gamers... not anime fans...they're just doing anime because it's the current thing. If they do an anime or manga I like I hope it's decent at least.
tamalove900

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Am I really going to be the first one who's going to comment on this? Okay I will... "asian manga books"

I think it was founded by gamers... not anime fans...they're just doing anime because it's the current thing. If they do an anime or manga I like I hope it's decent at least.

Even if they are based on videogames I really dont have any hope for it. I mean look at the legend of Chung Lee movie that looks like a bust. I haven't seen it yet but Im not looking forward to it as a fan of Street Fighter myself.

Then there was the screwd up Dragonball "from another damension" thing.

I just dont understand why thay cant just leave well enouph alone...

Last edited by tamalove900 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4