• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Absolute Boyfriend Drama Returns in Spring TV Special

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
mmmmmmm.......interesting,although i'm not too good about Rommance Drama animes being turned to live action tv dramas like they did with marmalade boy.

I was hoping for at least an anime adaption of this,I love Yuu Watase's artwork,infact there are so many of her works that also deserve an anime adaption rather than a live tv drama.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news. I loved the original Drama and now a special? Sweet!

I wish a NA company would license more Live Action shows. There are so many that might be profitable if marketed the correct way. And it isn't like they need a dub or anything, so the cost wouldn't be as high as if it needed a dub. But as always, it's just wishful thinking.
mirax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Interesting! I love Yuu Watase, but Absolute Boyfriend was a crap manga. Half of it was about Riiko trying to figure out if she should have sex with Night or not, and it was just ridiculous. The J-drama took the promising premise, and matured it into something amazing. It's possibly the only adaptation of a manga that I think far exceeds the original.

However, considering how both the manga and TV show ended, I'm a little confused about how they're going to have spoiler[Night in it, considering he shut down.]

I don't think this is a greatest idea, the series ended fine as it was, but any more Hiro Mizushima is alright by me Very Happy
Beryl7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I loved this drama, but I honestly wasn't fond of the ending.
I look forward to this.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
I never read the manga so I can't compare the two, but I was pretty excited about the drama when it started airing last year; however, I actually ended up having mixed feelings about it. Mostly because I felt Riiko was a ditzy, unlikeable idiot who didn't deserve either guy which, as you might imagine, makes it very hard to get into any of the "romance." Not to mention, spoiler[the last minute, "Wait, I love Night after all!" switcheroo out of left field felt pretty random to me]. But will I still watch this special to see Night & Soshi again? You bet!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KannaLilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
This series has always been similar to Twilight for me: I hate everything about it, but it manages to be so enjoyable, I just dont care Smile To be honest, Rikko is my main problem... but...
So heck, anything extra is a great pro to me.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how this will work. Not as a serious story line anyway. She made a decision at the end of the show (or rather it was sort of made for her by the circumstances). So if Night is reactivated...it just screws everything up.

If it's just going to be some goofy little extra side story, that's fine, but I don't think it would work as a continuation.

At least the guys are gorgeous....
Pettifogg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'm delighted by this news. I hated the ending of the AB manga, although it was well-told...I would prefer however that Yuu Watase would actually create a sequel herself. I'd rather read AB than watch it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope it ends like the manga. It should end like the manga. I don't really like Riiko at all but I was always a fan of Soshi and Night. I don't like Night in the drama though but Soshi is still good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1