• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sky Crawlers' Oshii Plans 1 Anime, 2 Live-Action Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh good! I hope its a Sky Crawlers anime, cause the first anime was slow and shallow with only a slight hint of philosophical talk in it.(Sorry my personal opinion.) Maybe they can fill in that gap and have more action.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The other live-action film project will be an action-adventure epic

Do his live-action films feature more action than the animated works he's renowned for? I myself find that he's in his element when things are going slowly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Delpheno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so when is Sky Crawler's going to come out in North America? I'm dying to see this despite a few negativities.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The other live-action film project will be an action-adventure epic

Do his live-action films feature more action than the animated works he's renowned for? I myself find that he's in his element when things are going slowly.

All of his live-action films are very slowly paced with minimal action.

Also, in general, they aren't as good as his animated works, although Avalon is by no means a bad movie.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I don't remember any real action packed from Oshii
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
all combined, would come in under 2 to 3 minutes. Seriously, compare that to his lust for one basset hound and Loooooong camera crawls.. Stray Dogs was the worst with that roaming camera in a slum that was pretty much most of the movie that caps off with a 33 second gun battle at the end.

wait a second. Urusei Yatsura: Only You and A Beautiful Dreamer had tons of action!.... but he was under the control of other people that reigned in his usual lust (though you saw it truly begin in the second one).

Sky Crawler pulled out about 35 seconds top on air combat and what was shown was cool. The other 2 hour, 1minute and 47 seconds where a basset hound, people sitting, standing, sulking or staring. So.. maybe 3 to 4 and a half minutes of action combined.

And talking. LOts of talking.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Angel's Egg was another weird Oshii film. The guy is so peculiar. He loves armament and technical stuff, but he doesn't put them into extravagant fights, he just likes showing them off.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
Okay, so when is Sky Crawler's going to come out in North America? I'm dying to see this despite a few negativities.
May 26th....and don't let the incessant whining deter you.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Ah, Oshii, you crazy bastard you. I'll be looking forward to that new anime film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

Huzzah! Something to spice up (or possibly spice down) my summer viewing schedule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
varmintx wrote:

Huzzah! Something to spice up (or possibly spice down) my summer viewing schedule.
So you're importing then?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Delpheno wrote:

Too bad Sony didn't have more faith in it to give it a wider release before DVD and BD (hopefully) release.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Since it won't cost more than the customs limit I probably will, unless I hear news of a domestic release scheduled not too long after the R1 date.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
That date is still bugging me. I mean you would have thought that for a date this close that you could preorder it somewhere. No chance so far with this title.

You think this title is delayed?
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Since it won't cost more than the customs limit I probably will, unless I hear news of a domestic release scheduled not too long after the R1 date.
Unfortunately, this list that includes UK releases does not have it (it is on their US release list). This is obviously a US-centric site however, and they only follow hi-def releases, so there's no reason to totally give up hope for a UK release for around the same time.
hikaru004 wrote:
That date is still bugging me. I mean you would have thought that for a date this close that you could preorder it somewhere. No chance so far with this title.

You think this title is delayed?
EDIT: Tower has it up for preorder, but the price is way too high.

Now I think I'll leave the subject of the blu-ray release rest before I get another thread cleaned-up by a mod for being off-topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2