• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ah My Buddha DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
It's surprising that MB gave this show an English dub. I don't know anything about this show, but based on Key's review, there have been a few other titles released recently that are more deserving of a dub. One in particular was Simoun. Perhaps it's because yuri isn't considered as popular or mainstream as a fanservicecy harem show.

What I find interesting is that according to the encyclopedia, the first volume was released almost 2 months ago and I've never seen or heard anything about this until now. That doesn't really bode well for the show. I dunno, maybe I'll pick this up on a lark.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
i almost got this last month... but i'm kinda glad i didn't now... this review really confirms what it sounded like on the back of the box... cheap and nasty... though the character designs are cute...

and yeah, i have to wonder of their choice to dub this, particularly in todays world where the english dub seems to be a fading thing... granted it appeals to the lowest common denominator, but still... the mind reels...

i would have rathered they put this off, and released Genshiken 2 or something...
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
This just annoys me. When are Media Blasters going to get round to doing anything with Dragon Destiny? This might just be my perspective, but I'm pretty sure a long-awaited Ikkitousen sequel has a bit more anticipation behind it than this little obscurity. They've had it licensed for well over a year now. Did I miss something?
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
I was shocked that it got a dub, especially considering all the hate that this show gets. It's still one of my favorites though--it's one of those shows that I can watch over and over again(the DVD was my 4th time seeing these episodes) and not get tired of it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Nothing but fanservice and nudity. That is all what is show is about. The English dub is bland and predictable.

Media Blasters should not waste time or money and run of the mil series like this. Genshiken season two and other better shows should be the focus.

Fanservice and nudity is all this series is and not much else.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I am a big fan of Media Blasters, and since this is a title they deemed worthy of dubbing, I expected a treat.

Boy was I let down.

If it was just 12 or 13 episodes, I might could suffer through it, but 26 episodes over 6 volumes with Media Blaster's glacial release schedule?

I can live with the fanservice... if it was good (either the story or the fanservice). The joke was wearing thin by the third episode, and to think, only 23 more to go....

I still may pick it up if it is cheap enough, I am a completist. Heck I own the singles of Coyote Ragtime Show, which I despise.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
If it was just 12 or 13 episodes, I might could suffer through it, but 26 episodes over 6 volumes with Media Blaster's glacial release schedule?

You consider seven weeks between volumes to be "glacial?" Not sure what you're used to, but 6-8 weeks between individual volumes has long been the norm for most of the industry in the States.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

You consider seven weeks between volumes to be "glacial?" Not sure what you're used to, but 6-8 weeks between individual volumes has long been the norm for most of the industry in the States.

I am pretty new to this, started buying Miyazaki films in 2006.
But since I have started buying, Media Blaster's have been the one company to consistently miss release dates.
The original ship date for 1/27 for this title slipped, and then suddenly appeared in the Right Stuff weekly sale which I ordered on 2/6.

Volume 2 was scheduled for 3/17 according to ANN, RACS has it listed as 4/21?

I remember picking up the singles for Kashimashi, Simoun and Strawberry panic, and was wondering what the delay was for sub only discs.

For a questionable title such as this, faster is better.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Such hate! I liked it myself, though probably because I wasn't trying to expect more than I knew it was. It's nice, mindless, sexy entertainment. It's certainly funnier than the review gives it credit for, though by no means is it a must-see.

I will agree with those being surprised by the dub. Of all MB's shows, why they picked this...I said earlier I figured they were just banking on the harem genre to make it sell. Such a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
I was shocked that it got a dub, especially considering all the hate that this show gets. It's still one of my favorites though--it's one of those shows that I can watch over and over again(the DVD was my 4th time seeing these episodes) and not get tired of it.

I'm susprised MB dub this series as well cause i thought the Kite Movie was the last anime the're doing to dub. Not to mentioned the're more focused on trying to dub the remaining epsiodes of the Sereki no Moribito series which they saved from Geneon and putting it on AS.

As for this review,i'm not susprised.It seems thay don't like any harem series with fanservice unless it's Love Hina. Good harem series like Girls Bravo,Shuffle,Hanukyo Team Maid & even Tenchi Myuo GXP got bad reviews cause for the same fanservice. I've watched these series and the're really good and a lot of people agree.

Sure the dubs aren't good but for a harem series it's decent enough,and ohh the lovely fanservice,not to mentioned that the main guy ain't no tenchi clone.It's great.

I'm definately going to reserve the 2nd DVD and i recomend it to anyone who likes the harem genre and mindless fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Is the english voice actor for the male lead seriously Dick Smallberries Jr.?

That's just gotta be a joke screenname.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes
I'm tired of the amount of hate this show (and many others) get. Anything that doesn't stand up to someone overly-dissecting it, or has a lot of fanservice and is just mindless fun, etc. completely gets it ass torn up by reviewers. I mean, it's fine if you don't like it (because this series and many others have many faults) but there are people who do like mindless fun, and you can't really write a review not having those people in mind along with everyone else, and considering that there will be many people who will like this. Just mentioning at least that, "If you like these types of shows, you will probably like this." would be great.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
But since I have started buying, Media Blaster's have been the one company to consistently miss release dates.

Ah, well, that's different. You're right, MB hasn't had the best of reputations on being timely, and I believe the first volume was a week or two late. Other release dates listed in ANN's Encyclopedia should always be double-checked with retail sites, as usually they're entered in when first announced and not always updated if things get rescheduled down the line.

prime _pm wrote:
Is the english voice actor for the male lead seriously Dick Smallberries Jr.?

That's just gotta be a joke screenname.

He's actually done other roles besides just that. Whether it's his real name or not is another story. (One prolific VA who has since passed away did use "John Smallberries" upon occasion as a screen name, so it could be made up.)

As for others: don't know why I'm bothering to say this, but this series is getting ripped because it's BAD, not because Yours Truly has no appreciation for harem shows (I'm a huge fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, for instance) or lowbrow content in general. There is a good way to do this kind of thing and a bad way, and the first volume represents the bad way. Sure, some will certainly like it, but there are far, far better shows of this type out there.

Last edited by Key on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As for others: don't know why I'm bothering to say this, but this series is getting ripped because it's BAD

Not that I care what your opinion of the show is, but I basically called this bad review back when this show was licensed. Was it because I knew Key would review it? Or perhaps some other reason...

Quote:
...not because Yours Truly has no appreciation for harem shows (I'm a huge fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, for instance) or lowbrow content in general.

To me, Ai Yori Aoshi was never a harem show. There was not a gaggle of girls for Kaoru to pick from; it was all about him and Aoi.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
[As for others: don't know why I'm bothering to say this, but this series is getting ripped because it's BAD, not because Yours Truly has no appreciation for harem shows (I'm a huge fan of Ai Yori Aoshi, for instance) or lowbrow content in general. There is a good way to do this kind of thing and a bad way, and the first volume represents the bad way. Sure, some will certainly like it, but there are far, far better shows of this type out there.

Truth there. As for Harem series that ANN ripped that I liked, Magikano because the dub that made it all OK, they reference the Chapelle show "Is Yuri going to have to choke a bitch?". Otoboku, marginal at best but I really enjoyed it, and whatever review comes out for Indian Summer ( I expect bad, but might be surprised).

I REALLY wanted to like Ah my Buddha, but every aspect of it has been done better, more cleverly, and more entertainly before.

Like I said, I will probably buy it all, but I may not like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4