• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Apocalypse Meow Manga to Get CG Anime Series from Anima

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
The horror...the horror.

(If you've seen Apocalypse Now, you'll know what I mean.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
by making the three soldiers part of a modern private military company.

Hmm. #000000 H2O?

By the way, those camels with black turban are Taliban.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Umm, as far as I can remember this series has been out in manga format for quite a while now. Looks like it took them quite a bit of time to chug it out.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the Arab camels will be as fun enemies as the Vietnamese cats were. Less jungle tactics, whatever's the case...
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
This looks...interesting...
Loganator456

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
"Cat Shit One"? Sounds awesome. Anime smile
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
If you can find copies of Cat Shit One, do so! It's not just furries with guns, it's downright accurate in terms of military hardware and jungle tactics, including the fact that the Australian SAS were the best Special Forces group in Vietnam. The artist has done plenty of military manga, a series of books for Model Grafix set with a German tank crew in World War II, and a what if story chronicling Soviet invasion of Japan (lots images of prisoners being executed.)

He even parodies himself in the third volume, drawing himself in an encounter with his gun bunnies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
The horror...the horror.

(If you've seen Apocalypse Now, you'll know what I mean.)

You mean, read Heart of Darkness. Wink
SneakerPimp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
SneakerPimp wrote:

Thanks for the link. However, I really wan to yell the second word in the title now. Really loud.

First the background setting. Packy (?) and Botasky are honorable soldiers who serve their country above and beyond the call of duty; they are not soldiers of fortune. Furthermore, by the year of 1991 the two should be in their late 40s / early 50s, while Botasky should be already spoiler[a successful fast food chain owner] then. If they want to create an alternative universe, fine, but I'd rather have other rabbits instead. And where's Rats?

Now who picked the cast?! Hiroshi Tsuchida as Packy is acceptable, but I feel there's a bit something lacking. However, having Satoshi Hino as Botasky (who's Black) is just plain weird. I felt like Rie Kugimiya would pop up and tell him to "shut up!"

Not to mention that Picatinny rail was not available back then. Weird thing is, I can't identify Botasky's sniper rifle (M4-type collapsible butt, 7.62mm NATO magazine locked in FN FAL/SLR-styled magazine release, gas tube under the barrel and exposed beyond hand guard, plus Picatinny rails). Unless, of course, everything happens in an alternative timeline. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4QBZfjtqs

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
squall_416

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Not to mention that Picatinny rail was not available back then. Weird thing is, I can't identify Botasky's sniper rifle (M4-type collapsible butt, 7.62mm NATO magazine locked in FN FAL/SLR-styled magazine release, gas tube under the barrel and exposed beyond hand guard, plus Picatinny rails). Unless, of course, everything happens in an alternative timeline. Rolling Eyes

It's a M14 variant made by Springfield, called the SOCOM II, with a Troy rail system and telescoping stock on it. I think I've seen it called the M14 SOPMOD a few places?

Re. Peltors didn't exist and neither did the molle webbed plate hangers they are wearing, but it sure looks cool Very Happy

Not sure. My guess is that this is set post 2001. It would be fairly easy to adapt some of the stories from Cat Shit One '80 to a conventional setting.

j
Expias

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I like the conversion to the Middle East. I do however want to question one thing. Where's Rats? Nowhere on the poster or the PV.

And I didn't get to see Bota squirm. xD
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
squall_416 wrote:
It's a M14 variant made by Springfield, called the SOCOM II, with a Troy rail system and telescoping stock on it. I think I've seen it called the M14 SOPMOD a few places?

I was too focused on the butt and handguard. Didn't realize that a gun can have its butt, handguard, barrel and even trigger mechanisms customized; as long as the receiver remains the same it's the same gun. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Here's a picture of M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) in font line, without suppressor. Shouldn't Bota use a designated marksman rifle (DMR) version instead?

EDIT: Wait, I think his rifle should be M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle. That would make much more sense than EBR. So is the rifle in the first link; there's no front vertical grip like EBR, and the barrel is much longer.

With that rifle (issued in 2008!) I'd say the timeline is completely disrupted; they simply took those rabbits from Vietnam to post–9/11 Afghanistan with a time machine.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This makes me WANT to see the rest of this.

It was hilarious, cute, and badass at the same time.

But casting that guy as a veteran mercenary is just... unrealistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2