• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Secrets of Mana

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, another one of those "unfair" old games that didn't care for realities like, say, weight classes - I did play Punch Out and was in the receiving end of Mike Tyson's one-punch KO beating many many times. Anime dazed

And Little Nemo too. Heck, I played the Super Mario Bros when they were still just plumbers! Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I got my original Nintendo Entertainment System too late to fully appreciate Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and how it helped define the NES in its first few years,

The SNES sequel wasn't bad.

Quote:
Perhaps the only surprising part is that the inevitable Dragon Ball Kai DS game is an RPG made by Monolith Soft, developers of the Xenosaga series and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier.

Wouldn't a DBZ RPG basically be Dragon Quest? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't expect to see the amazing box set that Japan's getting.

The recent manga from Del Rey's a helluva lot funnier than the last book.

Quote:
plus the untempered majesty of Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust for the PC and Xbox 360

Al Lowe had nothing to do with this one, either. Mad

Quote:
Nemo's able to fire off charged shots from his magic scepter, but it's still tough to get the timing right, and the last boss, the dimension's horned monarch, is a brutal exercise in old-fashioned NES controlling-flinging.

I just Game Genie'd the level. That and Narc.

Quote:
and re-working an unrelated Japanese platformer into a showcase for the Noid from Domino's Pizza commercials.

That game's fun if you're a masochist.

Quote:
The Little Nemo movie is now generally regarded as a missed opportunity, a routine kids' flick that, in spite of its excellent animation, doesn't live up to the names involved or the test footage made.

Well, it was a tough sell in the first place. So the final product's not bad for its time.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure but I think that would be the first RPG based on Dragonball (besides the MMO).. sounds very interesting. If it is anything like Sonic Chronicles, it might take an old property and give it some new life. *overly optimistic*
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Ah, yeah, the original Mario Brothers. I would just come home straight from school to play that on my Atari system, whenever I couldn't get Fight Night to run on those flippin' floppies. Or when I got tired of figuring out how to micromanage in Ghostbusters.

Nemo was never really my bag, though. Something about all my magical dreams trying to kill me...that and the one nightmare I had of Pee Wee Herman once.

Gardening Mama, as opposed to Executive Mama or Officer Mama or Red Light Mama.

Got a PSP for 90 bucks once. Sold it back for fifty. Piece of junk with piece of junk games. Oh, I can go online with it, big whoop. I gotta get a DS.

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
I for one still like "that" meme. I use it all the time. In fact, look at my location - and do a quick bit of maths - for how dedicated I am to the cause.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
i remember playing the hell out of Nemo on NES WAAAAY back in the day...

it was one of the best platformers with great controls and theme...

i did get to the end boss but could not figure out how to use the septer and i just smacked him for 10 minutes till i died...eventually i did figure out charging it but by that time i was done playing the game and had to return the game back to my friend never finishing the game...

i do wish i could go back and play the game again and beat the SOB of Nightmare...(looks for emulator)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
and the one nightmare I had of Pee Wee Herman once.

Woh you had one too? I don't even remember what caused mine but there he was, scaring the bajezus out of me when I was little.

I loved the little Nemo game. When me and my brother couldn't find anything new to rent Nemo would always be are fall back. That and SM3. Although it is a bit disturbing that you jump into the mouths of sleeping creatures that a few seconds ago where trying to kill you. I'm glad the creators didn't take that one step further and have the creature wake up again while you were still occupying it after so long. That would have gave me nightmares too.

I was also lucky enough to have seen the movie when I was little. I don't remember anything about except that my cousin had the VHS at one time and we all watched it that night. Then we decided to watch this really scary cartoon version of Pinochhio we rented and my cousin wet the bed that night. Good times.

Edit:

I remember the movie! Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night. Scary.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oh man, Little Nemo: Dream Master was such a great classic game, although, like many NES games, when I go back and play them now they seem REALLY difficult. I guess I was a better gamer when I had endless hours to devote to it when I was a kid. I never knew there was an arcade game! The art looks nice. I actually enjoyed the Little Nemo animated movie quite a bit when I was a kid as well, at the time having no clue it was anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sparkamus Prime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
My brother and I rented the Little Nemo movie all the time when we were younger. I had no idea what anime was at the time and this is the first time I saw that the movie was anime (have to watch it again now).

It's funny, they just wrote about the Little Nemo game in the last issue of Game Informer too.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. A game that I actually played way back in the day featured in the "Extra Lives" section! I can actually relate to it this week. lol Anime smile + sweatdrop
That brought back great memories of "Little Nemo" (which I'd actually forgotten about) and now that I see the screen shots I remember and recognize all those levels. I think the train may have been where I died a thousand deaths and finally quit, but I do remember it being one of the better games in my small NES collection as a kid. And there's even a knod to "Ducktales" - I loved that game!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I hate how everyone keeps trashing Mana Khemia SA for load time. Be glad psp players even get such games portable *stares at ds*.....learn to use Jumpstart option....Sure it's not as great as the ps2, but it's better than nothing.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Be glad psp players even get such games portable *stares at ds*

THIS JUST IN: FLAWS IN VIDEOGAMES ARE VALIDATED BY THE FACT THAT THEY EXIST
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Edgeworth and old school Monkey Island in the same sentence. You made my day! Very Happy
Sirgil Grey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Heh, did ANN review that godawful Rhapsody DS port when it came out? Or do they prefer to leave their rare reviews for games that let them rip on the PSP?

Mana Khemia has a fair amount of loading, but they're all fairly short loads, and the data installing helps a lot.

It's far from perfect, but it's a long way from being a bad game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the PSP Mana Khemia isn't doing as well as I expected though it's still popular on GameFAQs, so it can't be a complete stinker. Especially since the PS2 version is hard to find. Of course many Japanophiles are complaining about the lack of Japanese audio feature and screaming for an undub. So typical -_-

Ah that Nemo game on NES was so much fun! Anime smile

I couldn't get too far on it though. I stunk at it Anime hyper

And I never once saw that arcade Nemo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2