• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article 'Ghost in the Shell 2' Competes for Cannes Honors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
WOO! HOO! This is great news I hope it goes all the way. Then those "knobby tw@s" who say "animation shouldn't be here" can feast on humble pie. Yes! Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd like to say that if there's anywhere 'Innocence' can succeed it's at the ultra-elitist Cannes, that simply isn't true. Those people are prejudiced against animation for the most part; if it were live-action, they'd be tripping all over themselves to lavish it with praise. Since it's animated, though, I just can't see it winning much of anything.

Having seen the film, I can say that it's very complicated and the article's comments about it being inaccessable to a broad audience is most definitely true.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As much as I'd like to say that if there's anywhere 'Innocence' can succeed it's at the ultra-elitist Cannes, that simply isn't true. Those people are prejudiced against animation for the most part; if it were live-action, they'd be tripping all over themselves to lavish it with praise. Since it's animated, though, I just can't see it winning much of anything.

Having seen the film, I can say that it's very complicated and the article's comments about it being inaccessable to a broad audience is most definitely true.
You may be right Zac, but there's no harm in rooting for it anyway. Just the fact that it, or any anime for that matter, is there at all is a notch in it's handle already. Who knows maybe some might say "This is like The Matrix" not knowing the truth. only to be gently surprised that it in fact is the other way round. Wink
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a bit of a nitpick: The ANN entry says that the showing of "Innocence" is "the first time that anime had been screened at the festival" although the Reuters article to which it refers just states that "'Ghost in the Shell 2' is the first Japanese animation film to compete for the Palme d'Or best film award."

Anime has been shown at Cannes before -- a recent ANN article* states that in 2003, the "Directors' Fortnight Screened Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 and the international premiere of Nasu-The Summer of Andalsia."

Oshii's anime has even been shown at Cannes before -- namely "Angel's Egg," which, according to Carl Gustav Horn's filmography of Oshii in the book "Anime Interviews," was "entered at Cannes under the title 'L'Oeuf de l'Ange.'"

However, "Innocence" is the first anime film to be screened in competition at Cannes, which is still big news.

* animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4915
Berserker77

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Just the fact that it, or any anime for that matter, is there at all is a notch in it's handle already. Who knows maybe some might say "This is like The Matrix" not knowing the truth. only to be gently surprised that it in fact is the other way round. Wink

The article even makes it out like the cityscapes of Innocence are somewhat derivitive of Blade Runner and The Matrix; when, as Mohawk stated, it is the exact opposite--The Matrix was influenced by the first Ghost in the Shell.

I can see the influence of Blade Runner, which is great film, but I find it odd how the article states that the sequel sought inspiration from a movie, in which its own predecessor had inspired. I'm not knocking the Matrix, at least not too hard Wink. I do think, however, that Ghost in the Shell has had a much greater influence on the Matrix Trilogy, than it will prove to have on Innocence.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Since where nitpicking...

Quote:
his first directorial effort in nine years.

He directed Avalon in 2001.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Berserker77 wrote:

I can see the influence of Blade Runner, which is great film, but I find it odd how the article states that the sequel sought inspiration from a movie, in which its own predecessor had inspired. I'm not knocking the Matrix, at least not too hard Wink. I do think, however, that Ghost in the Shell has had a much greater influence on the Matrix Trilogy, than it will prove to have on Innocence.

Aside from both films being sci-fi epics set in dystopian futures, I'd be hard-pressed to find any direct similarities between any of the Matrix films and Innocence. I didn't notice any visual or thematic similarities between the two.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Brian: Don't forget Nasu.

Zac: Motoko fights like Trinity, and moves like Priss. Anyway,
from what I've been gathering from articles on screenings, the
judges don't seem biased against animation as a whole. (Tarantino-yes I'm actually praising him for once-has helped to insure that they give all the films a chance.) They just seem biased against 2-d films which don't feature farting ogres.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
Anime has been shown at Cannes before -- a recent ANN article* states that in 2003, the "Directors' Fortnight Screened Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 and the international premiere of Nasu-The Summer of Andalsia."

Directors fortnight is not Cannes. I was aware of those movies and specificly discoutned them when I wrote the article.

Quote:

Oshii's anime has even been shown at Cannes before -- namely "Angel's Egg," which, according to Carl Gustav Horn's filmography of Oshii in the book "Anime Interviews," was "entered at Cannes under the title 'L'Oeuf de l'Ange.'"

I'll double check that, if that's the case I'll issue a correction.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Directors fortnight is not Cannes. I was aware of those movies and specificly discoutned them when I wrote the article.
Gotcha. However, the older article to which I was referring (about the Directors' Fortnight) was titled "More Anime at Cannes," leading me to think that you were using "Cannes" as a catchall term for all films shown in the city of Cannes around the time of the film fest. Sorry 'bout the confusion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, anime at Cannes goes back at least to Cagliostro.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Brian: Don't forget Nasu.

Zac: Motoko fights like Trinity, and moves like Priss. Anyway,
from what I've been gathering from articles on screenings, the
judges don't seem biased against animation as a whole. (Tarantino-yes I'm actually praising him for once-has helped to insure that they give all the films a chance.) They just seem biased against 2-d films which don't feature farting ogres.

spoiler[Motoko doesn't show up until the last 20 minutes of the film and then is simply a fragment of her net personality downloaded into a cyberdoll which fights alongside Batou. She moves like a marionette, not like Priss, and doesn't look like Trinity, since she doesn't even resemble Motoko.]

So yeah. Wrong.

Again.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Actually, Cannes has regonized animation in the past. The wonderful 1973 French film Fantastic Planet was awarded the Grand Prix, and given some of the competition this year (Shrek II? Remakes of 50's comedies? Michael Moore "documentaries"?), I'd say that Innocence has a pretty good chance.

Last edited by jfrog on Sun May 23, 2004 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tondog38

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It's official. Michael Moore's new crockumentary, Farenheit 9/11, is the winner of the Palme d'Or award for best film. Innocence won no awards at the Cannes competition.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I was fairly surprised Moore won it. I thought it would be one of the two Asian movies (not GITS) as Tarantino was the Head of the panel this year and as he has a fondness for Asian cinema I thought he might have swayed the board that way. Then again those within the film industry are known to be liberal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2