• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Digimon correction

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Digimon is a Bandai anime. Disney just gets the broadcast rights.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:35 pm Reply with quote
And Digimon airs on UPN, which I don't think is owned by ABC.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:31 am Reply with quote
Errr, no.

Like I said here, http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=885 , Disney has the US rights to Digimon. It used to be a FOX property thanks in part to Saban, but since they sold their rights to Saban and it's properties to Disney along with the former FOX Family Channel, now the ABC Family Channel, Disney now owns them in the US. Only reason Digimon is shown on UPN is because it's part of the Disney animation block which I believe is actually syndicated. FOX animations are mostly done by 4Kids now, I don't even think Saban has the same name anymore, not sure.

The US arm of Bandai (BOA) only does toys and games, they don't even have the video rights for the Digimon anime as far as I know.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:32 am Reply with quote
As Emerje sais, BOA only does the Digimon Toys. Bandai's North American Anime arm (BEI) has no stake in the Digimon franchise.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:52 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Only reason Digimon is shown on UPN is because it's part of the Disney animation block which I believe is actually syndicated.

Yeah, but it's not shown on the ABC network as the news blurb states....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:15 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

OK, that IS true. It was being shown on ABC Family network though, but it seems they're showing a few hours of Power Rangers instead for whatever reason. Regardless of where it's being shown, Disney has the rights.

Anyone still need convincing? http://disney.go.com/disneytelevision/disneytv/digimon/index.html

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:11 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Emerje wrote:

Only reason Digimon is shown on UPN is because it's part of the Disney animation block which I believe is actually syndicated.

A few other sites have said that November 30th is the premiere date for Digimon 4 on ABC (Family?)... Most Digimon sites, tho, don't seem to be reporting that... so I question if that's actually the case.

And Digimon 1-3 are/were being shown on ABC Family...

And it seems UPN didn't pick up Digimon for next year.. so Digimon could be "over" in America, starting 2003.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:25 am Reply with quote
hmm....http://www.animeontv.com doesn't say anything about Digimon moving to ABC Family....and it's not on ABC's November schedule (http://www.abcfamilynet.com/schedules/schedule.html)

And I seem to remember seasons 1 - 3 being on Fox (before the Fox Family station was bought by ABC....I believe it was on Fox Kids....I used to watch it...)
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes Digimimon 1-3 were on FOX, but they lost Digimon once they droped Saban and later picked up 4Kids to the majority of it's kids programing, even changing the name from Fox Kids to Foxbox.

Things are looking a bit grim for Digimon, who knows what the future will be. Smile

Also, Here's the full press releases where they also say ABC Network. http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/2627.shtml

One thing that really annoys me is that no mater what the season is almost everything has the same summery based on the original series. Rolling Eyes Oh well, looks like this manga is based on season 1.

Emerje
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:47 pm Reply with quote
*shakes her head* I'd love to know which ABC network it's currently airing on then...Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1