• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hello Kitty Online MMORPG to Launch in North America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Now this is slightly surprizing. I know the show was licensed here years ago, but I wouldn't guess the show is still popular enough in the US to launch the online game here.

Just goes to show, even a old show can make a comeback if there is still popularity I suppose.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Day one!
Oh, man, I can finally get to meet my hero, Kerropi. I think I was the only kid in my town that kept that green guy in business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Please tell me Kuromi is in there. I love her. Hopefully this won't go the way of the Pretty Cure message board.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Please tell me Kuromi is in there. I love her. Hopefully this won't go the way of the Pretty Cure message board.

Out of curriousity, what happened to the Pretty Cure message board? Were there no actual plans in development of that project?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Well it was the Japanese one but... The loli loving otaku took over it with their creepiness and it was deemed not safe for the actual young girls it was meant for so they closed it down. I guess this wouldn't happen in America but still the thought is just a bit weird.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well it was the Japanese one but... The loli loving otaku took over it with their creepiness and it was deemed not safe for the actual young girls it was meant for so they closed it down. I guess this wouldn't happen in America but still the thought is just a bit weird.

Why doesn't that surprize me. Its like how Netflix put Hare and Guu in the kids anime section. Based off watching the first season and second season, I can safely say its not for kids.

So I am guessing there were numerious complaints and such to actually close down a message board though.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Probably. Or maybe the staff noticed because they were posting doujin or something. I'm guessing this hello kitty thing is for the club Penguin demographic though. It'll probably work something like that, then again teenage and adult women are also known to love hello kitty so who knows? The only thing we can be almost sure of is that it will be very, very pink.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Sweet, Hello Kitty Island Adventure! I can finally quit WoW and Join the Online Sensation before I get murdered...
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Confused I'm guessing by "optional premium upgrades" they mean "you have to pay to get anything special or anywhere above the bare minimum starting area", like AdventureQuest or Fantasy Tennis and such... Rolling Eyes Seriously, why not just make everyone pay?

Hopefully this isn't the case. I for one will join it to see what it's like...
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I might want to play this soon
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
:? I'm guessing by "optional premium upgrades" they mean "you have to pay to get anything special or anywhere above the bare minimum starting area", like AdventureQuest or Fantasy Tennis and such... :roll: Seriously, why not just make everyone pay?

Hopefully this isn't the case. I for one will join it to see what it's like...

I think you hit the nail in the head with this one. That sounds like a MMRPG I occasionally play from time to time. In order to get the best equipment one has to shelve out actual money.

Unless object is really worth the money, I almost never go for the special upgrades.

But like you said, maybe this isn't the case.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
One time payments are the way to go, people.

Anyway, I would love to see this. I mean, Hello Kitty? It's so cute, and characters probably aren't going to be human girls! Loli-crazy otaku, eliminated.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
heh, guilds, skill systems, and player economy eh?

Sounds like they could be aiming this game at more than just young girls.

If this ends up being the typical Asian MMO "free to lose, pay to win" game then "optional premium upgrades" will likely mean "necessary for advancement". However, being a Hello Kitty game, it would be odd if it were completely based on "kill X of Y and harvest Z of A off of them" Something like Toon Town maybe?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:

Anyway, I would love to see this. I mean, Hello Kitty? It's so cute, and characters probably aren't going to be human girls! Loli-crazy otaku, eliminated.

Furries? Laughing
saikou_panda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I played the beta of this and I found it to be pretty boring Sad

I hope they fixed it a bit...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1