• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Banpresto Thousand Sunny

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
OMG, that one linked at the bottom that opens up and has little figures looks awesome! Reminds me of Mighty Max and those types of toys. I want that so bad Very Happy

I would feel like I got the crappy end of the stick if I bought the ship in the review and then saw the cooler ones available.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, Banpresto — clearly, you didn't decide to break out the tiny brushes on the bad boy. Surely you can at least not have huge white smudges on the hull.

That appears to be a fingerprint. That could come in handy when working out who it was who painted your boat so unsatisfactorily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or do you animu nerds who also love American properties find yourselves more forgiving of anime products?

No, I don't. I have pretty high standards. I also don't find myself forgiving of people that use words like "animu".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
One pressing question: does it float? It looks like it could be fun, come bath time...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
One pressing question: does it float? It looks like it could be fun, come bath time...

I probably know what the answer to this question will be, but I have to ask it anyway.

Why would you put a thirty dollar action figure in a bath tub? Wouldn't you be worried that the colors might fade if one did that.

As for the white smudge, it looks like painter was too busy eating powdered donuts to notice a mistake that that. That or he wasn't wearing gloves.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Showsni wrote:

I probably know what the answer to this question will be, but I have to ask it anyway.

Why would you put a thirty dollar action figure in a bath tub? Wouldn't you be worried that the colors might fade if one did that.

Toys are for playing with! I'd feel like I wasted the $30 more if I just sat and looked at it, than if I played with it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
whoa, isn't whats-his-face from detroit metal city missing this week? He's usually riding or in something's face.

y'know, his mixed adoration for all one piece figurines makes me curious if he's ever considered making a papercraft of one. I've seen a Chopper and a Brook one online. Not to mention that if he's dissatified, papercrafts just cost the amount of materials it took to print them. And however much time you put into it (which is usually cut down with faster drying glue). I don't think the Chopper one look too difficult myself, but I can't see the .pdo printout, just the .pdf instructions. The reason I brought up "mixed adoration" is because while I always see all the minute faults with my papercraft builds, I'm still totally attached to them all after I've spent so much time with them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
whoa, isn't whats-his-face from detroit metal city missing this week? He's usually riding or in something's face.

Johannes Krauzer II.

Going to the main point of the article. I am a big One Piece fan myself, but man that thing looked small. Eight inches is actually a considerably nice size, but I think I might want one with a bigger scale and more accuracy to it.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
I've never even watched/read One Piece, but this simple toy does have a very big play-in-bath tub appeal to me (if it floats). Although for $30 I'd much rather have a delicately sculpted Final Fantasy figurine than a blocky kid's toy.

I'm not forgiving of cheap toys related to my favorite obsessions UNLESS there is very little merchandise made and I'm desperate. Shojo manga/anime seem to unfortunately produce less toys and figures than other subgroups, so when Fushigi Yuugi was my crack back in middle school, I found myself settling for a baby fork with a picture of Tamahome on it. Yes, I wanted an action figure. But... a fork would have to do. Anime cry And that's my sad tale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agoston

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Heh, pretty cute ship. What strikes me as odd though is this:
Quote:
But when it comes to anime, I'll buy just about anything with that straw-hat-wearing skull logo on it (including $500 worth of figures, car air fresheners, pencil boards, gashapon, bath salts, a first aid kit, and more)
How in the world did you find a One Piece first aid kit? Who would even think of making one of those? I'd love it if you showed a quick picture of those at the bottom of the next column... and the bath salts Very Happy
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
I was planning to get the $50 bundle where you get Sunny and Merry, but know I think I will just wait for the updated ones>.<
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I've never even watched/read One Piece, but this simple toy does have a very big play-in-bath tub appeal to me (if it floats). Although for $30 I'd much rather have a delicately sculpted Final Fantasy figurine than a blocky kid's toy.

I'm not forgiving of cheap toys related to my favorite obsessions UNLESS there is very little merchandise made and I'm desperate. Shojo manga/anime seem to unfortunately produce less toys and figures than other subgroups, so when Fushigi Yuugi was my crack back in middle school, I found myself settling for a baby fork with a picture of Tamahome on it. Yes, I wanted an action figure. But... a fork would have to do. ;_; And that's my sad tale.

That sounds like a great idea for Anime News Nina. But then again it might have already been done. I know the feeling though, a couple of years ago I was lucky purchase out of production Ranma 1/2 pencil board.
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a One Piece fan, but that's such a cute boat
Nobody can do "cute" like the Japanese Laughing

I have the same question as Showsni - Does It Float???!
If it does, then it's worth $30 because it's actually designed to be played with (IMO).
If it doesn't float, then it's just a glorified shelf filler.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Shojo manga/anime seem to unfortunately produce less toys and figures than other subgroups, so when Fushigi Yuugi was my crack back in middle school, I found myself settling for a baby fork with a picture of Tamahome on it. Yes, I wanted an action figure. But... a fork would have to do. Anime cry And that's my sad tale.

I hear you. I hate how shows like Code Geass don't make figurines of the male characters outside of SD crap (cute, but not worth the money, IMO) and....Lelouch. Razz And I love the Lancelot, but it's the only mech that gets my love. So I end up going for the "other" stuff, like wallets, folders, or rings.

I also end up looking seriously at series solely because they produce good figures of their male characters (aka: yaoi visual novels). -_- As bad and predictable as Lamento, Beyond the Void looks, I'm this> <this close to buying it and using a crappy English patch so I feel like I'll get something out of the figurines.
mokitty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the curved bottom.
As a kid I was NEVER happier than when I was in the water -- whether it was the pool, the lake, or a bath. I had some extremely awesome bath toys as a kid, including crayons made of soap that I could scribble all over the tiled wall with (and really, how often does a kid get to say "My mom told me to color on the wall"?!), a Fisher Price Little People pool and deck playset that I could fill up with water and throw the little men around in, and a little boat that floated, zoomed around via a small wind-up propeller, and shot water right out of the bath through a tiny cannon.

I'm thinking if this thing floats (and had come along 20+ years ago) it definitely would have had what it takes to have become my favorite toy ever. I would buy one for my kids -- and I don't have kids yet.
Y'know.
Just to make sure they get started off playing with the right (i.e. awesomest) kinds of things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2