• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Aria Speedwagon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Is it weird that when I saw the Broly boxset, the chanting in my mind was:
"broly
Broly
BROLY!"

You know, like a crappy sunday sunday sunday ad?

Sorry, that's all I got.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, you pretty much summed up Shigurui as best as can be done: It is by far the most violent and gruesome series that I've ever watched, and I've yet to decide whether the beautiful artistry of it makes up for that. I can't imagine ever watching it again, but there was something compelling about watching it once. I only wish that at the ending, spoiler[they'd managed to get to the part where the lead character loses his arm, so we can know how that happened.] There is a manga version (as yet unlicensed), but I'm not sure how desperately I want to read it.

As for Wallflower, I have so been meaning to check that out, thank you for reminding me! I love Nabeshin.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
i remember a few years ago I went through a phase of watching gore/extreme movies. Some of them were so bad they're good, and some were just... bad. Naked blood fell some where in between. But bamboo, you really thought that one scene was the worst? How about the part... with the knife... and she... you know.... um... and eats it. yeah. anyway, THAT made my stomach turn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Not that the DBZ movies, or DBZ itself was any great masterpiece, but those Broly movies were the most painful parts of the franchise. Broly was just a big hulking maniac who just grunted and screamed and added more confusion to the "Legendary Super Saiyan" thing.

The only amusing thing about the Broly movies is that Vic Mignogna bothers to put the character on his resume. It does suit his "talents", though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I think Naked Blood was actually banned from being sold and/or releaed in the U.S. for a while. But it could be a different Japanese film I'm thinking of.

Quote:
I was hoping for more from the ending, but it didn't live up to my expectations at all.

Have yet to get my set, but I'm guessing it's because the manga is still ongoing.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
The shelves: With all that raw manga, I hope grapeofdeath can read Japanese. Impressive shelves, by the way.

The Wallflower: Between the anime and manga, I like the manga far better. As for the anime, I do have to question the decision to cast Josh Grelle as Kyohei. He sounds like a Ninja Turtle! Laughing He may be a decent VA, but Kyohei's voice in the manga will always be God a.k.a. Steven Blum to me.

Shigurui: Gory, you say? Well, I've seen some pretty nasty stuff on 4chan and ED, and Elfen Lied had its share of gore (Ditto Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34, which I also thoroughly enjoyed), so if I can handle all that, I should get through Shigurui no problem.

Aria: I'm not buying it unless RightStuf reissues it with the proper (Read: Bilingual audio) treatment. If it ain't dubbed, that's a few Dead Presidents they're not getting out of me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
whoa, shelf obsessed a Black Jack fan much? Not that I can blame them, I'm a total Tezuka fan myself, even if my Tezuka collection is still small, I can't wait for Vertical to release all of Black Jack myself. And I want that Black Jack pillow!

Been considering Shigurui for about 5 hours since I saw the cool looking skin on ANN. Still considering...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
I agree that Aria is great and all (and am disappointed that it got no dub, but c'est la vie), but I think that Bamboo might want to change the image of the box art to match the season being reviewed, which is season 2 part 1. Other than that, fine review, and definitely the show to counteract all those bloody and stressful action series.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Shigurui is pure win. One of my top 10 favorite anime, in fact, although I can certainly understand people watching it once and never going back to it again. Me, on the other hand, will be watching it time and time again. I'm currently in the middle of watching it for the second time, only in English. It's a terrific series, if overwhelmingly morbid.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
The ending is a bit of a letdown, but the journey to get there is pretty intense. In a dreary, dreary way.

Yeah, the ending is disappointing, but the path to get there is definitely a compelling one and that final fight is absolutely scintillating. I hesitate to read the manga, though, because it will lack most everything I love about the anime. Hopefully more will be animated in the future.

vashfanatic wrote:
It is by far the most violent and gruesome series that I've ever watched, and I've yet to decide whether the beautiful artistry of it makes up for that.

Believe me, the artistry isn't the only thing that makes up for it.

classicalzawa wrote:
Been considering Shigurui for about 5 hours since I saw the cool looking skin on ANN. Still considering...

Go for it! Be sure to check out my thread (which is linked above in my response to vashfanatic) as well. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had a great time with it, and I selfishly hope that more comedies like this come out in the future

For now there's an anime for "Kimi ni todoke" in the making. Else you might want to try Skip Beat or Lovely Complex? And, of course, read the Ouran manga Very Happy
rekishi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
i just watched Shigurui episode 1 on Funimation's website. and i have to say, i think i like this series.

yeah, it's quite violent... in the first episode alone you see someone commit seppuku, bandage themselves, then, standing before the emperor, reach into their own wound and pull out their intestines.

people really used to do that kind of stuff to make a point. so it's fairly realistic in that respect. and it's not over the top blood spurts like a fountain type of violence. well, thus far anyways.

it's certainly a serious show. but one i think does the whole gritty realism thing very well. it wants to show the harsh reality, and it does it in a mature way.

the artsy side of things is done pretty well too. it reminded me a lot of Texhnolyze to be honest. a lot of times the scene changes to show something insignificant like a cicada or what ever, which gives it a very slow pace... as if to say, "appreciate the beauty of the world, because this man is about to die, and will never see this world again".

if that first episode was nothing but guys hacking each other to pieces with swords with blood spurts like busted water mains i don't think i'd want to see any more. there was actually very little sword play in the first episode... really only one fight... most of it, was quiet, calm and methodical... there were flashes of violent acts, sort of like a counter to the artsy stuff... but it really didn't come across like it was using it as some sort of shock tactic.

this show seems to be written for adults, not teenaged violence junkies or ninja fanboys. it's serious to a fault... and not some fanservice to people who want to see blood and guts. that first episode left me wanting more, but i'll wait to get the DVD so i can watch it properly. i'm hoping the rest stays as good as that first episode...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
I almost pre-ordered Shigurui. I'm glad I didn't. I normally don't mind guts, but this sounds like a little too much for me...

I like how you closed with Aria. Got my mind off the icky guts. Thanks!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
This further convinces me to just watch Shigurui streaming. I was just going to buy it but with what I've heard it may be not worth actually owning.

Quote:
This week's Shelf Obsessed entry is from "grapeofdeath." Either this person has a negative rapport with grapes, or it's a delightful reference to one of David Sedaris' pieces on morgues, or it's a strange in-joke that we're not cool enough to understand, but despite the username, it's a very awesome collection.

As a fellow person with username that contains a death threat pertaining to a food product, I can say it's probably the latter. We're just that cool. And manly too. Also suave.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
now i REALLY gotta see that movie?

see what you did?

it's the temptation!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Now Damn, thats alot of BlackJack for ya! Was wondering where you get from, If you get it from California, than dang I salute ya. Razz Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4