• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macne Nana Virtual Singer Offered to Mac Users

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Er, had to stop listening half way through. This one has an even more synthetic quality to the voice than Vocaloids do, it's especially obvious when it tries to carry a note. In Vocaloid2 a long note has a human quality to it, subtle imperfections, but here it's very electronic and sounds more like a long beep. It also seems to have trouble hitting some keys. But I guess for cheap software it does a good job and could be promising in the right hands.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm a massive, obsessive Vocaloid fan and probably a little ashamed over how defensive I got and that I thought "RIPOFF!" as soon as I read the title. That said...I guess Mac users missed out until now, and the price of this surprised me.
I dont think her design is very bad, but as said, she definitley sounds more synthetic, or like a Vocaloid that isnt used to its full potential. (although it is cheap software I guess)
I cant see her becoming much competition for Miku and the gang to be honest, but if she does, maybe Crypton will lower the price a little on the Vocaloids.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say you get what you pay for, but you sort of do. The Vocaloid series is it's own software whereas this is just an add-on. Now in theory, it's a easier-to-use program, and if Mac users can't get their hands on UTAU, then this is a decent alternative. However, I thought the Vocaloid programs were pretty reasonably priced for sequencing software.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Better than I was expecting, about equal to the first generation Vocaloid 1 software (if you look up some of the oldest Hatsune Miku MADs on Nicovideo, those'll be made with Vocaloid 1).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
The sound is quite intriguing- somewhat akin to the distinctive vocoding used by Daft Punk. It's no substitute for vocals, but for electronic pieces I'm sure it'll have its utility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Did somebody say Garage band plugin? I'm in.

I'm really tired of having to dual boot Windows just to play around with the Kagamine twins software. Like others have said, maybe Crypton will get off their ass and release a Mac version of Vocaloid 2 sometime soon...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1