• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Paul Bettany in Talks to Star in Priest Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Holy crap... another jump-start? I wonder if it'll actually get made this time. Not interested in the original manwha, but I'd be up for watching the movie, as long as it doesn't look as bad as other recent asian comic -> movie adaptations.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Done in the style of Underworld (that action-horror fusion) this could actually be really good. Hopefully this version gets produced.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, quite a disconnect between what the plot of the manhwa was described as and what the plot of the movie was described as. I've not read the manhwa, though. Is the thing with the vampires actually in it?
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
This is going to suck. The original Manhwa is really awesome, very violent and about angels and demons and god and such. It's about a guy who has given up everything and is bent on vengence and has become in a way almost evil himself. He's also possessed by "the devil" who is a man (Beliel) who used to be a powerful inquisitor who fell from grace and then renounced god and became an evil spirit. Together they are on a mission of pure rage and vengence to destroy Temozarela. So of course for the hollywood version they have to remove everything cool and badass about it and make it about him saving a girl from vampires. Rolling Eyes

It is a complete disconnect, and sounds nothing like the original story. They should just write the story they want to write and not call it Priest, since it's nothing like it, and allow someone with some actual balls to write the correct story instead of ripping everything amazing out of it because they are too scared of a bad reaction because it's about "demons etc.".

That said, I think Bettany would be a great Ivan Isaacs, it's just too bad he's not able to play the real character, and instead will be playing some action hero weak-ass version most likely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vincent iii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
I was quite happy when the original project was cancelled due to it sounded nothing like the manhwa at all, but it looks like this will be the same deal just with a different staff. Its too bad due to the manhwa was really good. Now if they would just finish it already...
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
typical hollywood arrogance- "yeah, the original story and characters were okay, but now watch us take it up a notch- just like we did with Streetfighter and Dragonball!" Why did they even bother to buy the rights to the comic in the first place?
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
typical hollywood arrogance- "yeah, the original story and characters were okay, but now watch us take it up a notch- just like we did with Streetfighter and Dragonball!" Why did they even bother to buy the rights to the comic in the first place?

They bought the rights so they could pitch it to investors (especially Korean ones) in order to help make the movie become easier to make with less liability on behalf of Screen Gems if it fails miserably. Then they went and wrote the movie they wanted to write, that has only the character names in common with the original story.

Also, making something based off a franchise from another media means that there is likely to be a built-in audience of people who will likely go see it because of the familiar name. Unfortunately anyone doing that here will be sorely disappointed.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Great, because the world really needs more pseudo-religious crap right now.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
OK, I think I definitely need to check out the manhwa. Angels and demons and the like? That is right up my alley. The movie, on the other hand? Sucky vampire films are a dime a dozen. (yeah, pun intended...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1