• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Darker than BLACK DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
I, for one, am really enjoying this show. I may not completely agree with the review, but I am in total agreement with Carl's choice of most memorable moment. All you hear during the scene is beautiful piano music. Truly moving.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I think it's fair to say that Darker than BLACK isn't as good as it could have been, given the talent involved. I still really liked the show, and it has a few episodes and moments of brilliance.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the better half of this volume is definitely the second, though I really hated opera lady. Reminded me of that music-fetish character towards the end of Speed Grapher, which I wasn't keen on either.

The first half had its upsides too, though; learning about Hell's Gate was nice, and Hei's background, of course.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say that both stories on this disc are quite good - the Yin story in particular is very good. I have to agree with Carl that the emotional aspect is definitely the strongest part of these stories. Everything to do with Yin in the second story is particularly powerful. Actually, I think that the story with Yin is probably the best of the series with regards to fleshing out a character with their backstory - though the fact that Yin has been fairly one-dimensional up until now certainly helps. The one question that it really left me with was whether Yin was completely blind. She's obviously very close to completely blind, but there are times when she seems to be able to see a little, so it's never quite clear...

As for the fights... They were decent, but they can't really compare to the fights in the second volume. It was interesting to have Hei fight a contractor with the power that the contractor did in the first story - spoiler[given that it's the same power that Hei has] - but it wasn't all that exciting a fight. And while it was a nice twist to see how Hei dealt with the opera lady, she really wasn't all that exciting an opponent. I actually found her to be a big disgusting to tell the truth - certainly her remuneration was.

In any case, I don't think that I'd rate this volume as low as Carlos did, but I agree with him more on this volume than I did with the last.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
I think it's fair to say that Darker than BLACK isn't as good as it could have been, given the talent involved. I still really liked the show, and it has a few episodes and moments of brilliance.

I have to agree, the show is good, but considering BONES is my favorite studio and the talent involved in this show, I expected more. I supposed I could have waited for the collection, but since this will be Funi's last singles release along with Baccano/Claymore, I decided to get it by singles (as well as Baccano, but there was no way I could wait on that gem).

Still waiting on Vol. 3, deepdiscount said it was on backorder last time I checked.
alifemde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

I can't disagree more. I loved the whole series, top to bottom. The characters are great (and I usually hate moe girls), the animation is superb, and the plot is just incredible... Yeah, they wait until the last 5 eps of the series to really start explaining things, but the whole FEEL of the show and its universe is what made it for me. Please keep giving it a chance. If you liked FMA, Wolf's Rain, and RahXephon I think you'll like the final Darker than Black product.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never agreed with an ANN reviewer this much before. Even so, I don't think I would even rate this volume as high as they did. So far, I find this show to be unentertaining and emotionally bland. Is's a real shame to. I was so looking forward to this show. I don't know. Maybe theres something wrong with me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1