• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shojo Beat discussion thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honey Hunt was decent. I actually really like the relationship between the twins (who, if not fraternal, are at least different enough visually to easily tell apart). Dysfunctional families seem to be the main theme of this series which I hope will be a good grounding for the celebrity hijinks that are sure to come along the way.

No one does dysfunction like Miki Aihara. I agree, Marie, that it should be a good grounding for the series - I'd guess that's where she's heading, what with Yura's background and all. Oddly enough for Aihara, spoiler[I don't see that there's a whole lot of competition for Yura's affections just yet. Really only Q-ta seems to be in the running, though I guess I can see where that could change. Typically in an Aihara series there'd be active rivalry by now, though.]

I quite enjoyed the preview, though nit-picky me is peeved that they're billing this as a prequel. Technically Ueda wrote this volume first and then wrote Tale of the Moon to give dark-haired Hanzo a happy ending. That makes Tale of the Moon a sequel, not this a prequel. (The original title of the single volume is long and has to do with summer. Wish I could remember it. Embarassed ) Total semantics, I know. At least they aren't using the German edition with all the German sound effects in place for their translation like they did with Wedding Peach. Smile

Vampire Knight is really moving along, plus I'm starting to be able to tell the characters apart now! Honey and Clover was a bit of a lull, but it felt kind of soothing. Crimson Hero, well, I think will be hitting a lull again. And I still don't like Sand Chronicles or Haruka. Oh well.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Oddly enough for Aihara, spoiler[I don't see that there's a whole lot of competition for Yura's affections just yet. Really only Q-ta seems to be in the running, though I guess I can see where that could change. Typically in an Aihara series there'd be active rivalry by now, though.]\

I think this one is pretty obvious, at leas to the audience if not the characters. But it's pretty clear to me that spoiler[the rivalry is going to be between the twins.]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I think this one is pretty obvious, at leas to the audience if not the characters. But it's pretty clear to me that spoiler[the rivalry is going to be between the twins.]

Agreed. spoiler[I wouldn't be surprised if she kept the manager as a sort of ambiguous potential love interest as well. From the Aihara series I've read, she tends to have three potentials. Ooo, unless she's going to shake up the formula?]

Out of curiosity, do you ever feel that the magazine talks down to its readers? Who do you think they feel their readership is? (T+ rating notwithstanding.)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't find they talk down to the readers at all. They definitely do know that their main readership is teen girls, but as the sidebar in uh, Vampire Knight I think, mentioned, they are aware that they have an older readership as well and clearly are working toward bringing new titles out for them as well (like this mysterious josei one, which does sound like it is Butterflies, Flowers).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Having done some research, you're right, Marie. Most of my magazine reading apart from SB (and Yen+) is news magazines or literature journals, so I was way out of touch with typical magazine writing. But now that I've perused my mother's magazines, no, SB does not talk down to their readers. (It's about on par with Women's Day, actually.) Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, problem making posts earlier.

Irene:
Quote:
This month's Shojo Beat mentioned an upcoming josei title - I'm going to guess it's Butterflies and Flowers by Yuki Yoshihara,

I'm betting(or at least hoping) it's the new one from the H+C author.

marie: Tale of the Moon 0 was interesting for fans of those "shirt-ripper" novels with Fabio on the cover, but not really as goal-oriented as its sequel. I do like that there's a better potential for tension than the latter series, though.

VK didn't annoy me as much as usual, since there is actually some drama for once. But Yuki turning psycho makes me less sympathetic to her.

Anne lost my respect in SC when she just spoiler[flushed her memories of Daigo down the toilet ], just because she spoiler[can't take the competition. ] Well, if she didn't want to spoiler[lose him that much], she should've gotten over herself in the last issue.

Haruka actually got good this time, because they focused on the demons and not the usual tug-of-war over the female lead.

Crimson Hero's in a mellow phase right now, but I'm hoping it'll get back to snuff soon.

Honey Hunt finally got good for me here; so I'm kind of curious what her agent's going to do next.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm betting(or at least hoping) it's the new one from the H+C author.

That'd be great - is there any word on it being licensed? I assume the Yoshihara because Viz earlier announced the license and it is definitely a mature rating series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is a cool thread. I'm a big fan of Viz's Shojo Beat line...

Gatsu, I don't understand why you put all of the blame of Ann and Diago's break-up on Ann.

1. She transferred in order to have a relationship with her father. I don't think making your dad a priority over your boyfriend is a bad decision.

2. Long term relationships are tough, but they're a two-way street. When things got complicated, Daigo said he needed space. That's okay; Ann was fine with it. But then he chose not to call her for months on end, and then wanted to continue the relationship as if nothing really happened. That's hard.

3. The way they broke up really annoyed me, though. Mentioning Fuji's name was stupid and quite cruel.

NANA: I love it, I don't care that it's being dragged out-in fact, it doesn't feel dragged out to me at all.

Nobu spoiler[is growing up and learning that his job as a boyfriend is not to be a savior, but that he can point out his girlfriend's bad decisions and try to motivate/support her own change.] Good for him!

Hachi actually seems to be maturing, as she realizes that she made some dumb decisions and chooses to look past the sh** in her life and focus on what she can control. She's not an idiot.

Takumi is becoming more multi-dimensional and fleshed out. I no longer see him as the evil bastard. Ai Yazawa is great at slowly-but-surely building her characters.

Now the thing I care about most are:

spoiler[1. Nana O. learning about the Mom who abandoned her;

2. Shin and Reira-will they break up

3. Yasu not being asexual after all! Actually, I'm kind of dreading that, I liked him as the one, stabilizing main character who lacks a dysfunctional relationship but is still mysterious. Oh, well! Smile ]
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Agent:
Quote:
Gatsu, I don't understand why you put all of the blame of Ann and Diago's break-up on Ann.

'Cus Daigo didn't do anything wrong? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
She transferred in order to have a relationship with her father. I don't think making your dad a priority over your boyfriend is a bad decision.

Her dad's a dead-beat and a screw-up, which means she's cleaning up his messes instead of actually getting the supervision and attention she needs.

Quote:
When things got complicated, Daigo said he needed space. That's okay; Ann was fine with it. But then he chose not to call her for months on end, and then wanted to continue the relationship as if nothing really happened. That's hard.

It was Ann who wanted space. Daigo's just trying to make her feel better by respecting her space.

Quote:
Hachi actually seems to be maturing, as she realizes that she made some dumb decisions and chooses to look past the sh** in her life and focus on what she can control. She's not an idiot.

She's hooking up with another spoiler[cheat], just because he's her spoiler[sugar-daddy], even though it might not even be his baby. That's all there is to their relationship. She's turned into a spoiler[gold-digger], a co-dependent spoiler[gold-digger], but a spoiler[gold-digger], nonetheless. It's a complete step down from the last guy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Re: Sand Chronicals: He's a dead-beat and a screw-up but he's still her dad. And he is making an effort. Many kids would prefer to help their parents out at that age if it means they might develop a decent relationship.

What was up with Daigo's "don't call me, I'll call you" line? And then not calling, for months on end.

Re: Nana: Frankly, I still think Hachi would have been better off he she just put her tail between her legs and went back home to her parent, so she could have the support she needs to go back to school, get a job and be an independent single mother.

But that would've been a good decision, and Hachi isn't known for that. spoiler[Takumi] took the lead, made her an offer she found hard to refuse, while spoiler[Nobu ]did nothing, even though he realized the baby might be his.spoiler[ Takumi ]clearly stated that he didn't care either way. (Although why the concept of "paternity testing" is so hard for them I don't get. Don't they live in one of the most technically advanced countries in the world?)

What I'm giving her credit for is that after she made the choice, she realized that it would have negative consequences and decided to accept and stick with it, trying to make the best out of the situation as possible. She wants to build a relationship with him that is more than just spoiler[gold-digging] and will survive even if he spoiler[occasionally cheats on her.]

That's a bit more mature, although it is still dysfunctional. they're all dysfunctional (except Yasu, perhaps, but the jury's still out). That's what makes this manga fun! Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote
Agent:
Quote:
What was up with Daigo's "don't call me, I'll call you" line? And then not calling, for months on end.

Well, she made him feel like it was his fault that she's got problems, so it's kind of tough to want to make up with her.

Quote:
Re: Nana: Frankly, I still think Hachi would have been better off he she just put her tail between her legs and went back home to her parent, so she could have the support she needs to go back to school, get a job and be an independent single mother.

I think she'd be better off letting Nobu raise the kid, since his family's well-off, and all...

Quote:
(Although why the concept of "paternity testing" is so hard for them I don't get. Don't they live in one of the most technically advanced countries in the world?)

Yeah, but they're still obsessed with saving face, so...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
So I found out that Rasetsu's actually a spoiler[sequel] to Yurara, and not a new series. It comes off more josei than shojo, too. I'm kind of hoping the direction of Rasetsu in general will be more "mature" than Yurara. [Or at least have some genuine ghost-busting this time.]

Moving on to Honey Hunt, I like the fact that the male idols in the manga are awful with women. I get bored if they're too smooth in other manga. Haruka's also starting to grow on me, but Mizorogi is still a dick.

Vampire Knight's "surprise" makes me think that it's really a spoiler[fake implanted memory], especially since it's told way too conveniently. Still not really impressing me, though.

Crimson Hero turned a bit creepy in this volume with Nobara's spoiler[stalker]. I hope it hasn't jumped the shark, because things were just getting interesting with the character development.

Starting to care less about Ann in Sand Chronicles, now that she's turned into a bitch and a spoiler[slut]. Sorry, but I just don't like girls who spoiler[play guys] to spoiler[feel better about themselves]. And I'm getting tired of this "Woe is me" crap from her. Either spoiler[get over Daigo] and date Fujii, or stop dating for a while. No one likes baggage, girlfriend. [Damn, now I sound like one of those afternoon talk-show commentators in the audience. :lol: ]

What else? I can totally relate to H+C in this volume, and hope that I get as "lucky" as Takemoto one day. I so appreciate that it doesn't talk down to me about real life situations, either.

I'm still waiting for something to actually happen in Haruka, though. I thought this series was about Akane fighting demons, not spoiler[match-making]! It's getting old fast.

The how-to-draw segment was particularly amusing and insightful, and I can't wait for the next one.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
For the most part I'm in agreement with Gatsu about this issue. I knew Rasetsu was a spoiler[sequel], which is actually why I looked at it. Yurara's really the only Chika Shiomi series that I kind of liked. (Though I didn't especially like Yako, so I'm still on the fence for the new one.)

I like Honey Hunt still, but...well, do you ever wish Miki Aihara heroine's had a bit more spine? Yura's not as bad as Hatsumi from Hot Gimmick, but I'd like to see her really stand up for herself instead of waver back and forth. And yes, Mizorogi's a dick.

While I don't know what "jump the shark" means, I agree that Crimson Hero was creepy. I also think the art is better when the girls wear skirts because then she doesn't have to draw pesky things like crotches. Ok, nothing to do with the story. But apart from the creepy factor, I didn't really have a huge reaction to it...

...as opposed to Sand Chronicles where I wanted to smack Ann. I've wanted to do that for a while now, but, well, Gatsu already said it. I'll just add that she's a twit. (Ann, not Gatsu.)

Vampire Knight felt a teense contrived, but the whole story has, so I didn't let it bother me. I think I lost my respect when the twins were basically named "0" and "1." Good try on Matsuri's part, though.

I thought Haruka was amusing, though as with the rest of the chapters, it could have been better. That series is pretty much the definition of "mediocre."

I will say that the letters column in this magazine really annoys me. Why do they feel they can only print letters that praise the magazine and were apparently written by fourteen-year-old fangirls? Would it kill them to print the occasional unhappy letter or well-written letter? Please??

Oh, and I still like Honey and Clover. Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
As I've mentioned before, having read up to the current chapters of the Vampire Knight manga and seen the anime, I feel quite safe in saying that it is spoiler[100% true that Yuuki and Kaname are siblings, in a sense. The reason it's in a sense is that, IIRC, Kaname is sort of possessing the body he's in, or something like that. I have to admit, I was a bit confused about what was going on there, hopefully reading the official translation will help with that. But I believe the body he is in is biologically Yuuki's brother. And they were raised as siblings, until Yuuki's memories were blocked.]

Didn't think much of Yurara and I feel the same about Rasetsu. I didn't even finish reading it because I really don't care Razz

I still like Ann and, in her defence, it's not like Fuji didn't know about the baggage before getting involved. I would like her to get past Daigo though, if they aren't going to get back together (which I hope doesn't happen, since I prefer manga that show that not every relationship ends happily ever after).

I love Watase's guide to manga, as I've mentioned before. It's been really interesting lately too, looking at different things that are sequential art-specific.

I also sort of wish sometimes that published mangaka would be given this guide. It would make everything easier to read (I've never had trouble following what was going on in Watase's work, clearly I know why now).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Thank you, marie-antionette! I think you're right about Kaname and Yuuki. I went back and read the chapters relating to this and came to the same conclusion. My theory is spoiler[Kaname's body is that of Yuuki' s biological brother but Rido inserted the ancestor soul in his body. The problem is that story so far has been somewhat vague as to exactly what Rido did to Kaname but reading between the lines, it appears this is what he did.] Plus it may explain the change in personality that Aido and some of the Night Class noticed after his parents' death. I believe when they first met Kaname as a child, he had not yet been harmed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19