• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars HD Teaser Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see this. When I viewed the trailer, I thought much of the background reminded me of Natsume Yujinchou. It seems like it would be a warm, family-oriented story. I like the fact that the grandmother plays a big role, from what I can tell. I hope Mamoru Hosoda has the same success as with "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
This movie looks very interesting. Love the artwork it's just like The Girl Who Leapt Through time. Can't wait for this to come out.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
Warner Brothers is in on this??
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
This looks interesting. I enjoyed the 'The Girl that Leapt Through Time' (gotta pick that up soon) so this may be up my alley. I'd been seeing ads for this but never quite knew what it was about. So definitely looking forward to it.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Warner Brothers is in on this??

I know...it just boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Now if (really big huge "if" I know) the major Hollywood studios took this approach, namely domestic distribution of upcoming big-screen anime projects with a lot of potential for the admittedly smaller but still fervently loyal anime market--perhaps use the same approach they would for art or indie films--instead of "threatening" live-action remakes of established franchises (of course i'm talking Dragonball...and Full Metal Musical, er, I mean Panic doesn't sound promising) it'd be all good...

Anyhoo, props to Time Warner...apparently some of the suits there actually saw Girl Who Leapt Through Time and liked what they saw enough to want to take a chance on this.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Warner Bros Pictures Japan has their hands in a lot of Japanese productions, including the live action Death Note movies. To date, WB US has not brought out any of their product outside of Japan, so despite the name, it's probably best to just think of it as another Japanese movie company.
nedmech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
This looks like it could really be a lot of fun! I'm gonna have to remember to watch this one!
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
The Japanese DO realize that Wizard of Oz was a political satire, not an honest-to-good silly story like Alice in Wonderland. Right?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm so in. I love this director. It kind of reminds me of that Digimon movie he did, with that white world with orange outlines (he also did it in Girl Who Leapt Through Time). He also made the best One Piece movie ever. I'm looking forward to this.

Altorrin wrote:
The Japanese DO realize that Wizard of Oz was a political satire, not an honest-to-good silly story like Alice in Wonderland. Right?

I don't think most Americans realize that. Regardless, it being satire is absolutely not the reason the story has been loved for so many years.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
I watched the trailer and thought, "Hey, this looks kind of like the second Digimon movie", then looked at the credits. Dur dur durrrrr.

I absolutely love Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's designs, too, so I hope I get a chance to see this one day.

That "SUMMER DAYSSS" narrator at the end made me think of that H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ trailer, for some reason. Maybe it just ROCKED MY SOUL.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, I hate to say it, but Satoshi Kon might have some competition.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Altorrin wrote:

I don't think most Americans realize that. Regardless, it being satire is absolutely not the reason the story has been loved for so many years.

I didn't even know that it was telling the story of the clash between the monometallic standard and the bimetallic standard until I...

Well, took an Econ history class.

But yeah... probably not the reason why people liked the story (hell, Ruby slippers replaced Dorothy's silver shoes or something in the movie).
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The guy saying "Summer Wars" at the end made me laugh. Came out of left field.

Still, this movie looks like it could be great. Especially since it's in the hands of Mamoru Hosada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks quite interesting, with a few nods to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I just hope that they don't reach back into the well too much and turn it into something too derivative or dependant on the film and its style (despite how great it was). Still, it's very nice to see the staff and studio come back together for another go-around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
Please don't take too long to get to the UK.

That is all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2