• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking, March 30-April 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if FMA would be up here too. Strange that it is not, to me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The "perennials" like Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, and One Piece, plus kiddy shows like Pretty Cure and Pokémon have a tendency to keep even the most popular series within the otaku niche off the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The "perennials" like Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, and One Piece, plus kiddy shows like Pretty Cure and Pokémon have a tendency to keep even the most popular series within the otaku niche off the list.

Well, FMA isn't so much an otaku niche series, since it's running in an afternoon slot. The first episode of the last series did make the top ten upon its debut, but I don't think it made it back on after that.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
I was wondering if FMA would be up here too. Strange that it is not, to me.

The timeslot FMA is in hasn't really pulled big ratings in years.

It usually comes in somewhere in the 3-5 range, which would be just under the bottom of this week's chart.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Dragon Ball Kai so high. From what I have seen thus far, Toei has done an excellent job of revising the original anime with much better pace, and the redrawn art in HD glory is a sight to behold. The Dragon Ball Kai/One Piece Sunday morning block is definitely the new power hour when it comes to anime right now.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, why isn't there a Dragon Ball Kai entry yet? Toei is treating this as a seperate project rather than that of Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball Z is still being aired on Tokyo MX, Fuji BS, and Animax and Toei seems to be indicating these as two seperate projects, via their website. It should not be lumped as Dragon Ball Z. The show is being re-edited and re-cut, with some minor new animation, new opening and ending animation.

It would be like saying that we should list Munto OVA and Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai as one entry. Both are esentially the same thing, but are treated as two seperate projects. Miageru uses most of the base content from Munto OVA, with some new coloring and animation, up until around episode 6, which we get new content. Toei is treating Kai similar to this.

Anywho, getting that out of my system, I'm rather surprised that Dragon Ball Kai managed to score such a high rating. It's a pretty impressive score at 9:00AM, something I have not seen in that timeslot in a long time. I think the last time I've seen it was when Digimon was running in that slot (before Frontier). But I could be obviously wrong, since I never saw Gash Bell's ratings report. In anycase, it's impressive and I hope the ratings continue to gather such an audiance.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well it's a good thing I haven't bought all of the Dragonball Z season sets Funimation's been releasing, though it'll probably be a while 'til Funi releases Dragonball Kai since it just started airing in Japan.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
The timeslot FMA is in hasn't really pulled big ratings in years.
It usually comes in somewhere in the 3-5 range, which would be just under the bottom of this week's chart.

Pretty much, it was #17:
3.8% Fullmetal Alchemist (05/04 17:00 TBS)
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Pretty much, it was #17:
3.8% Fullmetal Alchemist (05/04 17:00 TBS)

Latest info is out - FMA:Brotherhood improved in the next week (6 Apr - 12 Apr) to... spoiler[#7 with a rating of 5.3% (04/12 17:00-17:30 TBS).]

And the highest anime debut for the same week (6 Apr - 12 Apr) is... spoiler[Eden of the East with a rating of 4.8% (04/09 24:45-25:15 CX) and making it in at #10]
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dream 9 baby woohoo Smile hope this anime block lasts for years
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm loving Pretty Cure and DBK at the moment. I think that DBK will be consistently high throughout its run as its fan base now spreads generations.

I thought the new FMA debut ep was good too, hope I can see the second ep by the end of the week, I liked the way the changed the introductions of the characters. We finally found out who the heck Isaac was xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1