• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is the news that Bandai is alluding to on the front page of their website.

Something was to have happened at 12:00 Pacific Daylight Time today (04/15/2009). Looking at the page source for the page, you can see the usual little extra comments in the remarks lines of the code.

Still waiting for something to update at their site though...

Update: O.k., they were probably referring to Gundam 00 on you-tube now. More of it, and in HQ.

Last edited by JohnnySake on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I watched it once, but didn't really pay attention to it. :/

Now's my chance to watch again and figure out what's happening this time :]
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
One of the best anime series of all time, in my opinion.
And, now it's on Crunchyroll? Simply put, that's....

.......ABSOLUTELY, AWESOME!!!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself a fan but wouldn't go quite that far, by any means.

Still, to talk about the main topic, I believe this was already available through Bandai's Youtube channel, no? It's just adding one more alternative.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised since it's already streaming on youtube, adultswim, and ANN. o.O

Now if only Bandai would release the second season dvds. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
On a related note, Bandai & Sunrise have finished uploading all 25 dubbed episodes of Gundam 00 season one on their YouTube page. They only have 10 subbed episodes for the time being though. I expect 00 to added to Crunchyroll soon as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
I watched it once, but didn't really pay attention to it. :/

Now's my chance to watch again and figure out what's happening this time :]

Its got a good first season, but the second season is nothing short of a catastrophe

My big problem with how Bandai is handling this is that their just showing Gundam 00 and Code Geass, which is the exact opposite of how all the other companies are doing this.

The rest of the companies are using this to get their lesser known anime out of the open, and in Toei's case get old anime like Slam Dunk to people. I devoured like5 episodes of Slam Dunk last night and am currently loading another.

Would it be that hard to upload ZZ Gundam, V Gundam, and Gundam X on Crunchyroll? Those are the series I want to see not something I could watch on Cartoon Network.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Dont worry - the entire Gundam franchise will eventually be available. Bandai has long wondered why Gundam got such a lukewarm reception in the US and other areas, and have slowly been coming to some real understandings worldwide that people DO want to see them, but want them un-molested. There are at least 3 other Gundam shows that should make it to the VOD circuit soon, along with several other Bandai shows.

In the meantime, Crunchyroll really is the number one site for online viewing of anime now... they only keep getting better and better!
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The rest of the companies are using this to get their lesser known anime out of the open, and in Toei's case get old anime like Slam Dunk to people. I devoured like5 episodes of Slam Dunk last night and am currently loading another.
But Slam Dunk is a pretty widespread name in it's own right.

How many people are actually gonna check out Air Master, by comparison?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Not really, I mean sure people have heard of it, but that's about it.

Also I will check out Air Master once Funimation or Crunchyroll add it. Funimation is supposed to have it on their website soon.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Its got a good first season, but the second season is nothing short of a catastrophe

Nothing short of an exaggeration is how I'd qualify that statement, but then again people always have a right to hold different opinions (and thankfully so). Some describe even the first season as a catastrophe, for instance, and I don't agree with them any more than I'd agree with this either. Different viewers will be able to make up their own minds.

Quote:

My big problem with how Bandai is handling this is that their just showing Gundam 00 and Code Geass, which is the exact opposite of how all the other companies are doing this.

This is also a bit of an exaggeration. Streaming something like Naruto, to say the very least, or a number of ongoing and new titles would indicate things aren't as black and white as you put them.

I get the feeling that several companies, including but not limited to Bandai, are using Crunchyroll and other similar streaming services as a way to promote their current and upcoming releases, regardless of their profile, but they aren't exactly in the same boat as the classic Gundam series you've mentioned (though I'd love to see those streamed, for the record).

Not to mention that several of Toei's titles might be "lesser known" in the commercial U.S. market but they aren't necessarily unknown among the anime fan base as a whole, even if they haven't been fully released in their original forms (someone else or even Toei's tried to release some of them before). For instance, I've known about Fist of the North Star and Galaxy Express 999 for a while.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
On a related note, Bandai & Sunrise have finished uploading all 25 dubbed episodes of Gundam 00 season one on their YouTube page. They only have 10 subbed episodes for the time being though. I expect 00 to added to Crunchyroll soon as well.

Woooooow...this is quite an awesome day! Not a cloud in the sky, I got my taxes done with a huge refund, the power's back on at my house where it had been off since Monday at 2 AM, AND ALL 25 episodes of Gundam 00 up on Youtube? *Checks* YES!

I didn't know a day could kick this much butt! The only thing that would make it better would be if I was...well nevermind.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What I should have said was Toei.

Toei is releasing a ton of old anime and holding off on the recent anime like One Piece Personally I don't understand why, but I do like it since it gives me an oppuritunity to watch anime I would never watch like Pretty Cure (suprisingly good, and not disturbing at all)

Also I am not exaggerating my hatred for Code Geass R2, I really do feel that its a complete trainwreck of epic proportions, the plot barely works, Britannia goes through massive Villain Decay, and the ending is the very definition of working only because the writer says it does.

Enough of that, but I am glad that more anime studios are streaming, and Sunrise does have an excellent library of anime that they can dig deep and sub for cheap. I just hope they follow Toei's lead in actually using their library to the best of its abilities.

LagannImpact wrote:
Nebs wrote:

Woooooow...this is quite an awesome day! Not a cloud in the sky, I got my taxes done with a huge refund, the power's back on at my house where it had been off since Monday at 2 AM, AND ALL 25 episodes of Gundam 00 up on Youtube? *Checks* YES!

I didn't know a day could kick this much butt! The only thing that would make it better would be if I was...well nevermind.

Hopefully the reason the power was out was a storm and not because the electric company shut it off for not paying the bills.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Toei is releasing a ton of old anime and holding off on the recent anime like One Piece Personally I don't understand why, but I do like it since it gives me an oppuritunity to watch anime I would never watch like Pretty Cure (suprisingly good, and not disturbing at all)

I just didn't feel it was fair of you to single out Bandai like that, especially when they aren't the only ones releasing new shows while everyone else settles for their classics or other elements of their back catalogue.

Quote:
Also I am not exaggerating my hatred for Code Geass R2, I really do feel that its a complete trainwreck of epic proportions, the plot barely works, Britannia goes through massive Villain Decay, and the ending is the very definition of working only because the writer says it does.

Those might well be your own feelings but for me as long as something "barely works" that is actually not going to be what I'd call a "catastrophe" although this has all already been discussed to death and back.

Quote:
Enough of that, but I am glad that more anime studios are streaming, and Sunrise does have an excellent library of anime that they can dig deep and sub for cheap. I just hope they follow Toei's lead in actually using their library to the best of its abilities.

I'd hope that too, since it would be a good move on their part and something which would benefit the whole lot of us.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yet one could easily watch Code Geass here and not have to sit through two minutes of commericals and buffering time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2