• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk Manga Price Increase

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manji13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Hello all,

I was browsing upcoming manga releases on amazon.com and I saw that, starting with volume 31, the price is going up to $14.95. I then checked the validity of this on darkhorse.com which confirmed that volume 31 will be $14.95.

I really don't think that this is a big deal, as it is only a dollar increase, but I just thought it was interesting that manga prices are starting to increase.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I remember hearing that Tokyopop increased the price of all their manga by a dollar too.
In the olden days, wasn't $15ish the normal price for manga?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
$15,95 and $16,95 weren't too uncommon either, IIRC.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Manji13 wrote:
Hello all,

I was browsing upcoming manga releases on amazon.com and I saw that, starting with volume 31, the price is going up to $14.95. I then checked the validity of this on darkhorse.com which confirmed that volume 31 will be $14.95.

I really don't think that this is a big deal, as it is only a dollar increase, but I just thought it was interesting that manga prices are starting to increase.

So are taxes but that's the way of life. Everything is having to increase in these economic times so far, but there are times when they make manga volumes longer, which means more pages, which also means printing. All of this puts on costs, and they have to find a way to fill in those costs so that the company is not running themselves into the red.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the recession, prices are sky rocketing everywhere. But you really can't blame the market, but you can blame customers who read the manga and not actually buy anything.

More people need to spend, rather than save if we are to see prices drop once again. But that isn't always the case, but might happen if the economy stabilizes.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Should probably expect to see this more often, really.

I'm interested to see how Dark Horse handles the schedule once they catch up to the Japanese release. A speedy release is what Berserk fans want, and with lapses between volumes...

fighterholic wrote:
So are taxes but that's the way of life.

what
-Wang-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Oh god, as if it wasn't already expensive enough.

But if the publishers want to attract more buyers they ought to decrease the price, they're shooting themselves in the foot if they want to make an extra buck.
Welshie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Stinks, but at the end of the day, I guess it's only a dollar. Although, manga is already a pretty expensive hobby for me.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Welshie wrote:
Stinks, but at the end of the day, I guess it's only a dollar.

Yeah, but with such a lengthy series like Berserk, those extra dollars will really start to add up before long. Not that the minor price hike will keep me from buying the series though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Manji13 wrote:
I just thought it was interesting that manga prices are starting to increase.

I had to look this up to figure out what you're referring to. So now you have an average of almost 9% sales tax in California? Oh, boo hoo hoo. We have 8.25-8.75% here in SoTX so join the club of overly regressive flat tax systems. However, for those of us who make less than $250,000 annually our federal tax liability actually decreased, so not all the news is bad.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Manji13 wrote:
I just thought it was interesting that manga prices are starting to increase.

I had to look this up to figure out what you're referring to. So now you have an average of almost 9% sales tax in California? Oh, boo hoo hoo. We have 8.25-8.75% here in SoTX so join the club of overly regressive flat tax systems. However, for those of us who make less than $250,000 annually our federal tax liability actually decreased, so not all the news is bad.

Oh that's not the only point I was trying to make. Even with our sales tax increase here in California, not everybody was immune from getting their taxes cut as far as April 15th went. Even for people that were making less than 250 grand, they owed a substantial amount of income tax.
theamazingy2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Pads & Panels is doing a giveaway of Berserk this week, if the price has got you down.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Inflation's a bitch. Just be glad Berserk made it this far, considering it's an M-rated title. Anyway, just save some money buying it on Right Stuf, and it'll work out in the end.
tianaloveless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
whooa, they're seriously THAT high?
I usually get them at the bookstore & they're 10 or 9 each, but taxes make it about 11 or 12. The economy sucks
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
tianaloveless wrote:
whooa, they're seriously THAT high?
I usually get them at the bookstore & they're 10 or 9 each, but taxes make it about 11 or 12. The economy sucks

Blame fansubs, illegal downloads and Inflation. But this series has been running for several years now, so at least the price didn't jump up to $15 or higher.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1