Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prime Minister Asō Goes Cherry Blossom Viewing with AKB48


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12545

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
I must be getting old when I'm more interested in the kimono designs than the length of the skirts. Or maybe I'm just jaded from my share of hip-hop videos. Actually, looking at a close-up of their outfits, I'm wondering why they got patches. Are they supposed to be like a "sassy" [I hate that word.] version of Morning Musume?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nicomorr



Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 126
Location: London, UK.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh7289



Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Posts: 1252
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
This is very, very Japanese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
VORTIA



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Posts: 736

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
It's good to be the [Prime Minister]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7253
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Some would say he's far too relaxed already. If he played the fiddle, I'd call him Nero. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicomorr



Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 126
Location: London, UK.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Some would say he's far too relaxed already. If he played the fiddle, I'd call him Nero. Rolling Eyes

Nice one .... remember you heh heh. but what does a poor politico do when Rome is burning? Aso doesn't look too permanent neither!

Nico M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7253
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Some would say he's far too relaxed already. If he played the fiddle, I'd call him Nero. Rolling Eyes

Nice one .... remember you heh heh. but what does a poor politico do when Rome is burning? Aso doesn't look too permanent neither!

Nico M
Yeah, but at least Aso is doing it as a PR stunt for cultural export. Can you imagine Brown doing something like this? I mean here's the UK going down at the bow, and he'd be looking at flowers with secondary school girls? Makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Anime dazed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anymouse



Joined: 18 May 2007
Posts: 685

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7253
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_X_box_360



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
What the...?!?!
Don't take this personally, Mohawk52, but...

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)



Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pepperidge



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 1018
Location: British Columbia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?


The guy has pretty extreme views, so I'm sure he places a lot of priority in appearing soft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7253
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
What the...?!?!
Don't take this personally, Mohawk52, but...

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)



Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.
Erm, you have been following the world news, yes? Especially the economic world news then? I know I would if I were an economics major, which I'm not, but I have a pension that has investments in Japanese stocks that have gone the way of the Yamato. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_X_box_360



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
What the...?!?!
Don't take this personally, Mohawk52, but...

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)



Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.
Erm, you have been following the world news, yes? Especially the economic world news then? I know I would if I were an economics major, which I'm not, but I have a pension that has investments in Japanese stocks that have gone the way of the Yamato. Crying or Very sad
You're serious aren't you.....???? Shocked

Sigh... do you mean world news headlines like "VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY SEEMS RECESSION PROOF" or the ones like "JAPAN'S AUTOMOBILE EXPORTS ARE THE ONLY ONE'S CURRENTLY VIABLE" (even though they've taken a 50%-plus hit in sales like everyone else), or is it world news headlines like "North American Anime DVD Sales Down More Than 50% From Peak Of US$500+ Million" that helps shape your logic? -_-


Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool


EDIT: This is pretty off-topic. Sorry about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rg4619



Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 163

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
What the...?!?!
Don't take this personally, Mohawk52, but...

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)



Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.


Among nationalists, one point that's often raised is that in terms of culture, anime/manga is about the only uniquely Japanese product to hit it big internationally (culturally speaking, a key way for Japan to make its mark overseas). Cars and games cannot be as easily identified as being distinctly Japanese.

As silly and futile as it may seem, there are political motivations for this (helping to fuel nationalism, especially among younger generations, in the face of all the problems they're struggling to solve).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7253
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool
No, this one. Japan Reports Record Plunge in Exports and this one
Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

It's called The Real World. Now I was considerate enough to back up my bold words. Can you back up yours? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group