• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prime Minister Asō Goes Cherry Blossom Viewing with AKB48

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
I must be getting old when I'm more interested in the kimono designs than the length of the skirts. Or maybe I'm just jaded from my share of hip-hop videos. Actually, looking at a close-up of their outfits, I'm wondering why they got patches. Are they supposed to be like a "sassy" [I hate that word.] version of Morning Musume?
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
This is very, very Japanese.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
It's good to be the [Prime Minister]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Wish Gordon Brown would take in some cherry & relax a little. Japan knows what's important. Flowers & loli fun makes for a civilised nation.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Some would say he's far too relaxed already. If he played the fiddle, I'd call him Nero. Rolling Eyes
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

Nico M Twisted Evil
Some would say he's far too relaxed already. If he played the fiddle, I'd call him Nero. Rolling Eyes

Nice one .... remember you heh heh. but what does a poor politico do when Rome is burning? Aso doesn't look too permanent neither!

Nico M
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

Nico M Twisted Evil

Nice one .... remember you heh heh. but what does a poor politico do when Rome is burning? Aso doesn't look too permanent neither!

Nico M
Yeah, but at least Aso is doing it as a PR stunt for cultural export. Can you imagine Brown doing something like this? I mean here's the UK going down at the bow, and he'd be looking at flowers with secondary school girls? Makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Anime dazed
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
What the...?!?!
Don't take this personally, Mohawk52, but...

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)

Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:

The guy has pretty extreme views, so I'm sure he places a lot of priority in appearing soft.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
What the...?!?!

I think I speak for most economics majors when I say, "Have you ever even heard of the Video Game and Automobile industries!!!" (and, don't even get me started on electronics)

Sorry, it's just that comments like that make one wonder if too many members of the online Anime sub-culture get too caught up in their own little anime fan worlds, now-a-days.
Erm, you have been following the world news, yes? Especially the economic world news then? I know I would if I were an economics major, which I'm not, but I have a pension that has investments in Japanese stocks that have gone the way of the Yamato. Crying or Very sad
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
What the...?!?!

Erm, you have been following the world news, yes? Especially the economic world news then? I know I would if I were an economics major, which I'm not, but I have a pension that has investments in Japanese stocks that have gone the way of the Yamato. Crying or Very sad
You're serious aren't you.....???? Shocked

Sigh... do you mean world news headlines like "VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY SEEMS RECESSION PROOF" or the ones like "JAPAN'S AUTOMOBILE EXPORTS ARE THE ONLY ONE'S CURRENTLY VIABLE" (even though they've taken a 50%-plus hit in sales like everyone else), or is it world news headlines like "North American Anime DVD Sales Down More Than 50% From Peak Of US$500+ Million" that helps shape your logic? -_-

Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool

EDIT: This is pretty off-topic. Sorry about that.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
What the...?!?!

Among nationalists, one point that's often raised is that in terms of culture, anime/manga is about the only uniquely Japanese product to hit it big internationally (culturally speaking, a key way for Japan to make its mark overseas). Cars and games cannot be as easily identified as being distinctly Japanese.

As silly and futile as it may seem, there are political motivations for this (helping to fuel nationalism, especially among younger generations, in the face of all the problems they're struggling to solve).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool
No, this one. Japan Reports Record Plunge in Exports and this one
Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

It's called The Real World. Now I was considerate enough to back up my bold words. Can you back up yours? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2