• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video News: Crunchyroll Anime Now on ANN

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not understanding how the premium service part works but it's probably not relevant to me since I'm not a Crunchyroll subscriber. But we still get to watch these series, correct?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Basically, certain newly posted episodes are available to Crunchyroll subscribers only. They also get access to the 480p and 720p streams of Crunchyroll shows when available.

If you're logged into Crunchyroll and you're a subscriber, those extra features will be unlocked when viewing those videos through ANN. Simple, no?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Basically, certain newly posted episodes are available to Crunchyroll subscribers only. They also get access to the 480p and 720p streams of Crunchyroll shows when available.

If you're logged into Crunchyroll and you're a subscriber, those extra features will be unlocked when viewing those videos through ANN. Simple, no?

Okay, so the streams are not much of a concern to me, rather than the episodes. So what you're saying is that there may be certain episodes here on ANN that will only be viewable if you're a Crunchyroll subscriber. If you click on the link of a Crunchyroll subscriber only episode you're going to get a unavailable message or something to that extent. If that's the case then you have cleared up my confusion, thank you.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Nice, nice, once all their shows are available it will make browsing much more convenient.

One thing that I really suggest now though is that you redo the main anime page here so that it only shows some of the series at one time. Allow people to browse animes series A-M, N-Z, for example. It takes forever for the page to load now with over a thousand images having to load, and as more and more episodes get added it will just get slower.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
saw this one coming a mile away.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
I never saw this one coming... I am actually pretty surprised by this... But it's great marketing to get people in to CR's site.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
I was hoping that you didn't need to be subscribe to watch them but I guess you need to, what a bummer. Beside that I didn't see this coming.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
I was hoping that you didn't need to be subscribe to watch them but I guess you need to, what a bummer. Beside that I didn't see this coming.

You only need to be a subscriber to watch newly added episodes an hour after they premiere, so if you were to say wanting to watch a show that just had an episode aired, you would have to wait a week to watch it. All of the previous episodes are still able to be watched.

I never thought that crunchyroll would agree to this, but I guess it is good publicity.
Espeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Burn in hell Crunchyroll. Never liked them never will.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Say, would it be possible to get ANN to review the various streaming services? Who has what available, what you get for the subscription rates, and (most importantly to me) what platforms are supported? I have a PS3 and would be interested to know what services would work with it since I refuse to watch on my PC, but if I can stream through my PS3 on my HDTV, I would definitely be interested! Just wondering...
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Way to keep the pressure on the "you know whos" CR!!

Crunchyroll really is doing everything in it's power to push the new LEGAL streaming/downloading revolution forward, which pressures certain publishers to file in line right behind them. Anime hyper

At this rate, we'll have LEGAL options to stream/dl all the latest series from Japan, sooner rather than later.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:

Crunchyroll really is doing everything in it's power to push the new LEGAL streaming/downloading revolution forward, which pressures certain publishers to file in line right behind them. Anime hyper

At this rate, we'll have LEGAL options to stream/dl all the latest series from Japan, sooner rather than later.

I doubt all new shows will find legal means, and even then, streaming isn't what a lot of consumers are looking for.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Crunchyroll's service, but like many others, I'm not too keen on streaming as a format. I don't care about seeing new shows as-they-air, so the premium service would only be appealing if it included some faculty to download-to-own, even at medium-resolution.

Anyone know who actually produces the translations/subs? I thought that such a quick turnaround would mean crappy Engrish, but the couple shows I checked out (Ristorante Paradiso & Natsu no Aichi) seemed pretty damn clear. (My oral Japanese isn't good enough to check the veracity of the translation/adaptation though.)

One drawback though, is no dubs as yet, but I don't think they should offer those for free. And I've gotten used to better-quality dubs over the years, so I think they should still be produced by local/N.Am. companies, but it'd be handy to have a one-stop portal for all/most anime online, esp. cross-linked with reviews & descriptions. If the quality holds, and more relationships can be made w/ producers on both sides of the pond, I say huzzah! to ANN.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Very cool.

Convergence!
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:

I doubt all new shows will find legal means, and even then, streaming isn't what a lot of consumers are looking for.
"Streaming not what a lot of consumers are looking for"?
-Well that's apparent to most anybody with an internet connection and an affinity for anime, including me. Thanks for stating the obvious, for no reason what-so-ever, though. (maybe, you misread my earlier comment??)

Moving on, I can clearly recall posting in some random threads, that were about Gonzo streaming it's new anime, last year.
Oh, the flames and trolls I received when I posted comments like "It's only a short matter of time before we see long running shows like 'Naruto' and 'Bleach' be streamed legally over the nets with subs close to airtime in Japan!".
-Pessimists are most always caught under the stampede of change, during a revolution. Very Happy

Of course, shows that absolutely are too inappropriate, too targeted at a demographic that doesn't exist online, or that just plain suck to the tenth power would likely not find a home in the emerging legal stream/DL submarket (noun). -_-

Last edited by The_X_box_360 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2