• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-24]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
We should have the USDL fight the Otakukin.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh lord I just went to that guys (the flakes) myspace account. It... it made me die a little inside.

EDIT:

Also, Im suprise Hey Answerfans didn't see a single responce with THIS classic line:

"To protect the world, from devestation! To unite all people within our nation!...."ect ect
yeah cmon dont we ALL have thatone memorized?

Last edited by Eruanna on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Your response on the flake gave me a good laugh. You just had to pimp your play one last time, didn't you Brian? Laughing

Splitter wrote:

Man oh man, those were the days. I laughed quite hard at his responses to those, especially the part where he said that the girl's name came from something akin to My Little Pony.

In fact, I'm going to dig that up right now.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Huh, that's odd. To me, manga seems to have far more variety in subject matter and story techniques than American or European comics. The problem is just that only certain titles are licensed for domestic release in the States. Are you going to get a political comic in America? What about one where a bartender tries to pick the perfect drink to solve his customer's problems? What manga is this person reading?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Wow.

For I-tunes i've encountered the same problem. The songs I search for come up but I can't buy them. The only artists i've found (i don't know many) are:

*Utada Hikaru (I bought Single Collection 1)
*Hyde (older stuff)
*Orange Range I want Kirikirimai but it's soundtrack only on the Fantasic Four CD

And thats all I really looked for.
It just sucks that we have to jump over fire to pay for something.

I gave 2 USDL pages a look; truthfully i've seen worse on 4chan. That's not saying much, but as long as they keep in confined to pics of fake kids I could care less. The guy did come off like an ass, but knowing some of the folks around here that's sorta understandable. To me it looks like he's defending his hobby....or whatever you might call it.

I however didn't see what went down last week. I missed out on a fun quote game! Something I remember well...lets see...

Power beyond the twilight and crimsion beyond blood that flows...burried in the stream of time is where your power grows.
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand, against the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand.

DRAGON SLAVE!

I feel like the other line in it was:
"May the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I posses..." but that might have been the Giga slave?

"What is this?! The Clarie Bibble?!"

"You who stand before me who desires destruction....I am the mother of all darkness....iI am...the Lord of Nightmares...."

I miss Slayers... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, not all of them are good (i.e. D-Gray Man or Yu Yu Hakusho) but there's others that are true gems of animation (Rurouni Kenshin, Hikaru no Go, DBZ, Slam Dunk, Shaman King) but it's just annoying.

This is why we can't have nice things. Even we shounen enthusiasts aren't going to agree on what shows are good and why. I was suckled on Yu Yu Hakusho as an anime fan, and I'll defend it's greatness until the day I die despite how crappy the animation can get or those 40-some episodes of Dark Tournament that need to die. It has great characters and great character development.

You'll get the same thing about shoujo. Everyone hates "stereotypical" shoujo with it's unoriginal female protagonists and their harem of beautiful men. Yet Yuu Watase can sell the same misogynist PoC plot under five different titles, all with the same male protagonist (hell, they don't even look different) and an utterly horrifying insensitivity towards sexual assault.

I really didn't have anything to say, I just had to defend Yu Yu Hakusho and got carried away. Anime smile + sweatdrop Please ignore the rambling.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
One of the Answerfans answers just made me want to go on RightStuf and order Garzey's Wing! Laughing

Shounen hate: If I remember from an old Answerman Classic column, Zac once said that there were the trolls who always race to claim they were the first to hate something and they've always hated it; the older fans who cling to more obscure anime to keep their hobby from no longer being this big secret like it was back in the day; and people who simply hate a show because they think it sucks. Then you've also got the older fans who were around to watch the shows back when they were called Dragon Ball Z, Fist of the North Star, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Back to quotes:

--"TAKE THIS! MY LOVE, MY ANGER, AND ALL OF MY SORROW! SHINING FINGER!" ~G Gundam

--"It's thick and it's hard and it's coming to get ya!" ~s-CRY-ed

--"I am the love angel, I am Wedding Peach, and I am EXTREMELY angry with you! ~Wedding Peach (obviously)

--"fudge AND PISS!" ~Angel Cop
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but I don't know if I can take a guy seriously who believes Yu Yu Hakusho to not be one of the better shounen series. As much as I enjoyed DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho is more of a step up from that with its much more horrid animation and drawn out to hell fights.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I think the hate against shonen revolves around the fanbase and how they claim that their series is the greatest in the world, that sort of thing. The only thing I have against it is when it gets drawn out and monotonous (i.e. Inuyasha). But with the flake now we're going to see Akemi come into this thread. Not to mention that we might be seeing more of his kind since he's going to "send" more of the USDL here. Oh my, I shudder in thought Rolling Eyes

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ya know here's a brilliant concept...if we all think this loli president fanboy creepy net tard person is annoying just don't mention him. Just pretend like he doesn't exist, like when Stan and the gang ignored Cartman, and maybe he'll just float on over to AOD and leave us alone heh.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
@ Person who asked about experimental manga
Re: Why you can't find it

For the same reason that comic shops are more heavily laden with costumes than indie experimental stuff. There's boatloads and boatloads of fascinating envelope-pushing titles, often in less mainstream seinen mags and compilations, it's just that none of it gets licensed because so much of the American market is targeted towards teens. Pretty much the only way to find it here is through some specialty scanlations.

20th Century Boys is great, Urasawa and Tezuka are wonderful and masters of the art, but some of the stuff out there makes them look almost everyday.
Dahling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote the play too?!! Woow!! And so ironic that it's in the middle of Screnzy (scriptfrenzy.org). =D

Anyways I was a little surprised at the shounen guy... I think YYH is pretty great, and what of seen of D Gray-Man is pretty awesome too, though Allen is NOT a normal shounen hero. And Rurouni Kenshin is fantastic (is tedious after a while...) but I was a little surprised to see Hikaru no Go and Shaman King up there as gems, especially with their endings....

[edit:] That didn't come out right, I love HnG and SK-- but I've never seen someone think they were good enough to be called masterpieces or anything. Anime smile;;

Last edited by Dahling on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Necrontry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
I thought the USDL hired different sorts of crackpots than the flake.
possible troll/the flake wrote:
I am not a Troll! Do you understand me? I am not fake, lying, or full of crap.[...]
[...]GROW THE HELL UP! Or else you will regret ever ****ing with me? =Anime smile= Nya!
Got to say his letter doesn't really help his case. this sort of reminds me of that naruto flake a few years back who thought he had a fox spirit in him etc. there was a couple of response flakes to him as well if memory serves me.
I'm sort of glad though that the insane people can get together and tell each other how sane they are... isn't the net fun. Rolling Eyes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Your response on the flake gave me a good laugh. You just had to pimp your play one last time, didn't you Brian? Laughing

Splitter wrote:

Man oh man, those were the days. I laughed quite hard at his responses to those, especially the part where he said that the girl's name came from something akin to My Little Pony.

In fact, I'm going to dig that up right now.

I also digged it up, my favorite part was where the wannabe magical girl compared Zac making fun of them to Nazis.

As for shonen, honestly most popular shows are shonen series. Also they are not too bad, though obviously theirs a huge difference between something like Slam Dunk which has a lot of research done on player position, and shows a love of the game with a believable cast, and interesting characters and say Prince of Tennis which is about a marty stu whose the greatest tennis player of all times whose also an unlikeable douche and shows no research on tennis and is really only worth watching to see how dumb it gets.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I would say that the manga market is definetly targeting a different demographic than the American Comic industry and that when it comes to licensing titles it has to sell well especially when you have groups of people dedicated to making it "free" whether you have it licensed or not, so it has to be a "big" one so to speak, which for experimental manga/comics they are not.

Now I'm feeling that the manga market doesn't appeal to me personally (I haven't felt the drive to go out and buy manga) But I have felt the urge for Comic books both mainstream and indie so I would say that while crossover from comics to manga is possible it just might not have as big of a draw ( like why read something like Kenshin when you have Conan the Barbarian or Army of Darkness which would have more recognition?)

Last edited by LordRedhand on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9