• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist OVA on 1st Brotherhood Disc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
Oh
Wow
Yes!

Hopefully that also means tales of the Master (which was in the second guide book) gets animated because while the Blind Alchemist was typical Hiromu Arakawa's creepyness, Tales of the Master is typical Arakawa's drawing asskicking scenes, and hilarious comedy.

Also hopefully this means part two of the Mustang's harem will get animated since I found it funnier than Part one.
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Great news!

Now all we have to do is sit back and wait for the Western releases to have the same goodies Wink
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
And no R1 or worldwide physical media release in sight.........
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
The Japanese release was just announced! Funimation needs to wait for enough episodes to be made to get the DVD and Blu-ray masters so they can use those.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The Japanese release was just announced! Funimation needs to wait for enough episodes to be made to get the DVD and Blu-ray masters so they can use those.

FYI, R1 licensors do not get provided with R2J masters for DVD and Blu-ray, they will simply get given a copy of the source master, either in SD or HD, for which they will use to create their own.
This is why there is a huge quality difference between R1 nad R2J releases, especially with FUNimation who do their authoring in-house as opposed to out-sourcing to a professional company.

As for this actual news, good stuff. I'm always looking forward to extras like this, and the fact it's based on something from the mangaka herself is even more exciting.

@ melonbread
I'd say it's at least going to be until next year before we can think about any R1 releases, especially since FUNi seem to be in favour of 13 ep boxsets, meaning an even longer wait.
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
I think something else you may be missing is that it only has 2 episodes from the series on this first disc. Given the length of the FMA manga, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another 50+ episode series. Releasing 2 episodes per disc may work in Japan, but I think we've seen what happens in the US when you try to release single DVDs with only 2-3 episodes per disc, vs season or half-season box sets.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
I don't have any of the guide books so I'm looking forward to the OVA Anime smile I'm just a little surprised that only 2 episodes are being released on the first disc!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Hopefully that also means tales of the Master (which was in the second guide book) gets animated because while the Blind Alchemist was typical Hiromu Arakawa's creepyness, Tales of the Master is typical Arakawa's drawing asskicking scenes, and hilarious comedy.

Also hopefully this means part two of the Mustang's harem will get animated since I found it funnier than Part one.

Dang, now I feel out of the loop. I've never heard of The Blind Alchemist nor the Tales of the Master. What are these exactly? If you don't mind my asking. (If they are spoiler-related up to the most recently released vol. in the U.S. then please, no spoilers.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see that omake story where Hohenheim has Ed hold the bucket of water animated. That was a sweet little story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they're already setting up details on the DVD sales means they expect this to be a massive hit, and the extras are, while great, pandering to fans.

But I'm a fan, so no worries. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Dang, now I feel out of the loop. I've never heard of The Blind Alchemist nor the Tales of the Master. What are these exactly? If you don't mind my asking. (If they are spoiler-related up to the most recently released vol. in the U.S. then please, no spoilers.)

Their shory chapters like the Gaiden's pf the manga.

The Blind Alchemist is a story where the Elric brothers discover someone has done a succesful human transmutation only to discover that it failed but the familty hired an imposter to deceive the Alchemist who lost his sight.

Tales of the Master is about Izumi's one month in Briggs Mountain where she barely survives, until she discovers her all is one theory, at which point she starts attacking Brigg's patrol, and her month stay ends with her defeating a bear with her bare hands (when the bear attacks she just throws him). She then confronts the Alchemist who told her to do all this, but finds out that she had the wrong Steiner brother. The Alchemist is dead, and she was talking to the Martial Artist who accepts her as a student. Izumi now pissed that she nearly died for this than kicks the crap out of the old man.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Tales of the Master is about Izumi's one month in Briggs Mountain where she barely survives, until she discovers her all is one theory, at which point she starts attacking Brigg's patrol, and her month stay ends with her defeating a bear with her bare hands (when the bear attacks she just throws him). She then confronts the Alchemist who told her to do all this, but finds out that she had the wrong Steiner brother. The Alchemist is dead, and she was talking to the Martial Artist who accepts her as a student. Izumi now pissed that she nearly died for this than kicks the crap out of the old man.

Izumi kicks so much ass. I am so glad spoiler[she is still alive in the manga. Or still by the seventeenth volume anyway.]

Two episodes per disc? Uh, If I lived in Japan, I'd be on my "thanks but no thanks" mode and just wait for the extra animated shorts to appear online. Besides, the series so far has retreaded ground well covered by the manga - and better in the first series - so it would really feel like buying what I already own.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
WANT. WANT WANT WANT. WAAAAAAAAAAAANT.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I so want this on the Blu-ray disks. Right Funimation?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Great news! If only they included English subtitles, too..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2