• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Imports -- who are the bad guys to avoid?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi I'm a newbi Embarassed

Is there a list of Web sites to avoid purchasing bootlegs?

I have purchased from BestBuy, but they seem pricey. I stumbled across [EDIT - bootlegs -C], and recently made a purchase. Are they on the up and up? Question

Thanks
Carla
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The best thing to do is to remember that if the deal looks too good to be true (full 26 ep series 3 discs $30), it probably is. Keep in mind that almost 100% (such that you should assume that it's 100%) of DVDs are encoded for a specific region (1-8). If it's region free or region 0, it's probably a bootleg. If you're buying an authentic Japanese imported DVD, it should be region 2 and you should expect fewer episodes than on an American release and it will cost more than an American release. See also this thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
One of the easiest ways to learn if a company is bootleg or not is to ask them. Find out the company that has licensed the anime you are interested in (information available in our own Encyclopedia), and ask the dealer wo the manufacturer of the disc is.

Also, if you do your homework, you should know how the show has been released in your region (R1, for North America), and if the item is different (say, a three disc set of Cowboy Bebop, where Bandai has only released a six disc set), then you know it is a bootleg.

Some good legitmate dealers...

Deep Discount DVD
Amazon.com
Planet Anime

and even
Overstock.com
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
The shop you mentioned sells bootlegs. Their "domestic" DVDs are legitimate, but ALL of their imports are bootlegged.

[EDIT]
The Anime Pirate FAQ has a nice listing of which companies are "known" bootleggers.

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvd
[/EDIT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Just assume all imported anime dvd are bootleg (since most being sold with english subtitle are), since you're proably not gonna buy a Japanese DVD anyways.

So buy R1 DVD (Domestic).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1