• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Live-Action Hana Yori Dango Final Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Why would they license the film and not the two series? The former is kind of the sequel to the later...

Just because it's popular?
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Happy to hear the HYD movie getting licensed though kind of surprised it get licensed before the two shows. Yes the market is still pretty much untested for live action TV shows but each series is 11 episodes or less.

I hope that TV shows start getting licensed one day, Then I can stop buying bootlegged stuff. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsukikage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm incredibly excited about this and will pre-order it, but I have to say, for anyone who hasn't seen the drama, this will be an entirely disposable film. I have to question the wiseness of this decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
So where's "Lupin the 3rd: Legend of the Gold of Babylon"? They announced that at one point, then delayed it and now they seem to be moving on.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I like this movie but if you didn't see the 2 Tv series then the movie won't make a lick of sense. This license surprises me. I would rather they had licensed the TV shows. That I would have bought. However the Movie I will just Netflix.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I can think of is that there was an issue with the two series. And it was financial.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Woot~ What an awesome surprise to make my crappy day a little less crappy.
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
While initially it does seem a bit odd that the HYD movie is being licensed without the 2-season, 20-episodes total TV drama which leads up to it, I can pretty much understand why. Let's face it, we're a long, looong way away from seeing anyone license any J-dramas for sale on DVD here in the states. Stand-alone movies seem like the safer bet, marketing-wise, compared to a multi-disc TV series boxset (although, yes, this movie isn't really "stand-alone" but perhaps most people won't realize that). Especially considering most people here have neither seen the TV drama in broadcast before, nor have any name-recognition of the stars in the cast.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps they're banking on the fact that HYD (the TV series) is pretty popular and so all the fans who watched it in fansubs might like to officially own the movie on DVD, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
TV dramas starring any guys from Johnny's Entertainment will likely never be released in the US, unless someone is really, really stupid with their money. Johnny's (and their parent company Onjikyou) controls a lot of the rights of the dramas their talent star in, and they have a non-negotiable minimum license fee that is completely out of whack with what a live action foreign TV series would sell in the States.

They do not have such control over movies, however, so those can get licensed. That's why we got the GTO movie in the states, but not the drama, despite it being faaaar better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1