• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which parts of Tsubasa are worth reading?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoolinaCUP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The title says it all. To those of you who have read all of/a lot of Tsubasa, which parts--you know, which little story hunks--are your favorites?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
CoolinaCUP wrote:
The title says it all. To those of you who have read all of/a lot of Tsubasa, which parts--you know, which little story hunks--are your favorites?

I'm up to date with the Del Rey release...just about everything from volume 15ish and on is solid gold. Before then, they're just fun, rather lighthearted adventure. The earlier stories aren't as good as what comes later, but they're still really enjoyable. Of the early arcs, I think my favorites would be the Hanshin Republic/Kudan arc, and the one with the Oni monsters. There could be others. I should go back and reread the earlier volumes. So much has happened since then.

The one truly bad arc was the Piffle World arc. It really couldn't end fast enough. It almost soured my opinion of the series as a whole. I guess the racing aspect of it was just boring to me.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
I am also caught up with the Del Ray release. Vol. 21 comes out this May, right?

I agree, the Piffle World arc was my least favorite. I'm fine with racing, but it lasted a little too long. And yeah, Vol. 15 and beyond is when it really starts to get intense. I'd say the Tokyo Revelations (15-17) arc is my favorite, with the "hunters"/spoiler[virtual reality] world being my second favorite (sorry, forgot its name).

I hope we ARE talking about Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. If we're talking about Tsubasa: Those With Wings (from the mangaka of Fruits Basket), I've yet to buy it, but it's on my list, so I'll read it eventually.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
My favorites are Tokyo, Infinity and Celes arc. These free are the best. As someone who used to like TRC I recommend not to read anything beyond Celes arc. (Volume 21) After Celes, TRC has been going down to hell. Nihon is so-so and I’m really amazed how awful a piece of shit Clow arc is.

Unless you REALLY like Sakura and Syaoran, you shouldn’t read beyond Celes arc. Anyone who has read all 218 chapters and is not sick and tired of them should receive an award.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Acid Tokyo arc was incredible. As I said in the best of the year discussion thread, an emotional rollercoaster and darkly beautiful study of different kinds of love. Hope we hear word of the anime OVA covering it being licensed in our region soon. Infinity was pretty darn good as well, if completely evil Twisted Evil

If you're getting a feel for "skipping to the good stuff" though, I would strongly advise against it. Although most of the arcs before Tokyo are fairly light, watching the characters get to know eachother and get attached to eachother is what causes the payoff. Tokyo and beyond won't have the same effect on you and rip your heart out if you haven't invested the time in the bonding, teasing and joking first.
CoolinaCUP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Is the one with the vampires any good?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
CoolinaCUP wrote:
Is the one with the vampires any good?

That's probably the best one so far. I assume you mean the Tokyo arc? It's awesome.

@Aylinn: If you can answer without going into any spoilers, could you explain a little bit why you think it's gotten bad? Just curious.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
I’ll try

Some events in Nihon and Clow arc give a strong sense of déjà vu. To the point that it makes you think whether Clamp run out of ideas. Because of this the story focuses too much on Sakura and Syaoran in a way that is annoying. (This part is hard to explain without giving spoilers) Plus, you wish that Clamp had thought about more original ways to kill off their characters.

Another problem is the pace of the story that slowed down. In the Tokyo, Infinity and Celes arc every chapter has some interesting and relevant information. In Nihon and Clow arc there were many chapters when nothing interesting happens and they can be described very briefly, for example: They are fighting. Next chapter: They are still fighting. Another chapter: continuation of cutesy. However, it may be less of a problem if you read the whole volume at once.

One more problem is Syaoran, the real one, and his relationship with Sakura. In my opinion, his whole back-story was too far-fetched. It is hard to believe that such a young boy as Syaoran was when he met Sakura would decided something as important as he did and everything for a girl he knew for a very short time.
The way of presentation of their relationship is also a problem. It is cute for cute's sake. The chapters seem to say. “Look, dear reader how cute and sweet they are!” and often doesn’t offer anything beyond this. The whole plot doesn’t move at all or make a sluggish progress.
(This may look like a little spoiler about Syaoran’s and Sakura’s relationship, but the truth is more messed up than you can probably imagine.)

Sakura had potential to become a more interesting character, but she becomes Mrs Useless once more or rather a damsel in distress, which is a more accurate description of what she comes to be.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so sounds like they're dragging it out when the story should be ending instead. They did say it was the last arc, right?

Is XXXholic more involved with the story now? Could Clamp be slowing down the pace of Tsubasa so the events could match up with XXXholic(since the chapters don't come out as often)? I dunno, just speculating. Either way, I'll have to see for myself. Hopefully they'll pick things up again for a great ending.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Hmm, so sounds like they're dragging it out when the story should be ending instead. They did say it was the last arc, right?

Is XXXholic more involved with the story now? Could Clamp be slowing down the pace of Tsubasa so the events could match up with XXXholic(since the chapters don't come out as often)? I dunno, just speculating. Either way, I'll have to see for myself. Hopefully they'll pick things up again for a great ending.

Dragging is a problem too, but not so much of a problem as the fact that Clamp repeat certain things, which creates confusion and annoyance at seeing the same trick used again and again.

Yes, XXHolic is involved with Tsubasa now. However, I don't think it is the reason for TRC slowing down. If it was so, Clamp would not waste space on a boring cooking arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1