• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
àI mean, how interesting was the prospect of spoiler[Horo facing the other wolf god? And then they don't even show you anything!] I felt like that happened a lot in the show. There's nothing wrong with alluding to certain events to let the audience guess or figure out what happened on their own, but I felt like the show did this too much, almost as if to avoid animating more scenes. Maybe I just need to watch the show again.

I have disagree with you here, I think it's nice not being spoonfed with information for once and re watching the last episodes with Key's explanation, I think if they showed the scene it would have ruin the awesome factor in the later.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It was a good series, and very unique in its presentation. Nice to have one of these in awhile. Probably won't be widely accepted, but it's definitely a nice gem.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Perhaps one of the very good peculiar anime. If only I can correlate on what they mean on when it comes to merchant stuffs, I'm too off with the story and try to re-watch it again.
It is worthwhile a re-watch 'cause I didn't saw some important parts of the scenes and it somehow explained here. Horo is a good protagonist, I like her seikaku much more of that saggy Lawrence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I've watched just over half of the series now. There hasn't been anything truly spectacular yet I find it really enjoyable to watch. There's a certain something that makes it good that I can't put my finger on. Also I like the two main characters which is always a plus Laughing
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll say these sales figures bode well for a sequel, it got #4 last week as you can see in the news post.

Ookami to Koushinryou (IMAGIN)
2008/04/02 *8,548 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Three episodes)

Sales should stay strong too, esepcially for the volume with the dvd only episode. If it keeps up around the 8k mark it will sell on avg more than ZnT and Higaurashi which both got 2 sequels each. Probably the biggest selling title for IMAGIN.. though maybe they sold more with a hentai title as HIMAGIN...
Truered

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
I completed this about two days ago. As I have already said there was something about it, that I can't quite explain, that made me enjoy this greatly. I suppose the big plus was I greatly liked the character of Horo, as well as her interactions with Lawrence.
Denatus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I made a little fan-forum/site just for this series if anyone is interested. Hopefully if we get enough people on there, we'll be able to collect and organize all the little tidbits of information about this series and discuss it.

http://spiceandwolf.freeforums.org/

Please, take a look ^^
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I'll say these sales figures bode well for a sequel, it got #4 last week as you can see in the news post.

Ookami to Koushinryou (IMAGIN)
2008/04/02 *8,548 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Three episodes)

Updated figures

Ookami to Koushinryou *8,832 (2+) (IMAGIN)
2008/04/02 *9,139 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Three episodes)
2008/04/25 *8,525 Vol. 2 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 7)

Bodes well, DVD 3 should definitely match (and maybe surpass) these figures with the brand new episode.

Speaking of dvd 3 here's the Cm for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDePC1zjEdE

Really?
Really.
Really really?
Really really.
Really really really?
Really really really.
Courbet

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeh I loved this series, and with 13 episodes and the adventure barely started one feels Imagin surely have to make a sequel. Also it seems there are plenty of novels, so loads of material they can base the next series on.

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed X
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Pure gold.

This is one of the few series that made me very, very emotional and compassionate about characters and story overall. Characters are so far from sterotypes you can't put them in a category that easily. Just take Lawrence, not falling for seduction of Chloe and seemingly ignoring beauty of naked Horo. Would any other stereotypical anime character ask his beauty companion (deity even) for money in return of travel expenses?(how can you not love his request:"earn your keep"? It is priceless) Short answer is... no. At the same time Horo keeps playing with him AND remain natural. Smart, playful and sly Horo is easily one of the best female leads I've seen during my anime fandom. Combined with Medieval setting, story and trading theme makes this one of the best anime series ever released.

P.S: Thanks to Key for hint about this anime, as i was reading posts in Toradora thread and thats where he said it was his best pick for the year. I did not regret checking this out.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Since this thread is back and I didn't see this posted already here:

Spice and Wolf 2 Confirmed

Although, most of you are probabally already aware of it, given the Talkback thread a while back.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember that announcement and I was wondering, does anyone know when it's slated to be released? I thought in the winter season first (also since that's when the first season was released) but I really have no idea how long it takes to make an anime. But I really enjoyed this series and wouldn't mind waiting longer if that makes it better.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
If anyone did it would most likely be on the Spice and Wolf 2 encyclopedia page.
Allwa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
What do you thing , how the whole story will end ? When I’m talking to anyone about this show they just keep saying that Lowrence and Holo should end up together as a couple. But is there any possibility for this kind of ending. Well I don’t think so – how that kind of relationship could work ? – he is human the story is in XVI century so he probably will die before he reach 60, and she is pagan god and as she said she could live hundreds years. So if they even end up together it will lead us to the tragic ending where Lowrence died and she will be alone again. Crying or Very sad But who knows. Maybe they will be just friends and Lowrence will be visiting her village to trade goods and meet her ;] Smile
Courbet

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen a topic for the second season yet, so thought I would create one. There might be a few general spoilers.

The first season of S+W was one of my favourites from last year, absolutely perfect blend of romance, slice of life, action and erm economics!

What I am expecting from the second season is hopefully the same strong character interactions between Horo and Lawrence that for me made the first such a success.

Also it would be nice if the makers of the series could bring the church and the power it holds into fore-ground even more. It was hinted at in the first series that the church was indeed all-powerful - almost like the catholic church in medieval europe - but never expressly stated. A bit more wolf-transforming action wouldn't go amiss either.

Released today, the S+W II epi zero OVA marks a really good transition point between the two series. The humour seems a bit goofier, the fan-service and romance levels increased half a notch, (new director and animation studio I think) but apart from that, the elements that made S+W so successful still weave beautifully through the tapestry of the episode.

If you miss the OVA you will not miss much, but at the same time it is a fun 25min romp that whets the appetite for late July. Smile Here's hoping for continuing high quality!

Courbet
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 35