• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Vandread Integral, Turbulence OVAs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, after all this time I never expected these to be licensed. I'll be very tempted to buy them (add: assuming this ends up being a DVD release).

Though I wonder how FUNi will handle dubbing? Most of the audio can be recycled, but there is new footage after all.
Isamu*

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Been waiting for this forever since I knew about this for a while now. Anyone here happy about this news?

Last edited by Isamu* on Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
RenTers

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, up till now I have never heard of these OVAs

Looks like I now know what to look forward to getting.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I suppose this will be good for the completionists out there. Personally, I've seen these recap OVAs and I don't recall them being much more than scenes of the two TV series spliced together.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
Isamu* wrote:
Been waiting for this forever since I knew about this for a while now. Anyone here happy about this news?

I sure am and hope they release it as a 2-pack and hopefully on Blu-ray
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Vandread would benefit from Blu-ray. Even if it did, the increase in video quality would only be marginal I imagine. DVD makes a lot more sense for many reasons (not least of which is my own lacking of a BR player).
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
I doubt blu-ray is even a possibility. Vandread is a digipaint series, so it wasn't mastered on film. This means that unless the original masters were already HD (read: almost certainly no. Doubly no because it's Gonzo, who've always had really bad mastering) there is no way to remaster in HD without a massive quani=tity of work essentially re-animating the series from the raw image files, assuming THOSE are even still available (unlikely due to storage requirements) and in a useable format.
Yukikaze, with a far higher budget than Vandread (and thus more likely to have had a HD master), had a horrible, HORRIBLE upscaled blu-ray release. I can't overstate how bad it was. It was upscaled INTERLACED footage. 480i.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Yukikaze, with a far higher budget than Vandread (and thus more likely to have had a HD master), had a horrible, HORRIBLE upscaled blu-ray release. I can't overstate how bad it was. It was upscaled INTERLACED footage. 480i.

Ouch. From what I had heard, Yukikaze's BR release was decent at least. I'm shocked it was upscaled.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this means that even the Kiddy Grade movies are license possibilities now...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
My friend went ahead and bought a boxset of Vandread from Geneon, which was cheaper than FUNi's release. Interesting show, except the CG is god awful. I don't care if it's early, it drags the whole show down with it and shows its age more than something from the 80s would.

Also, these movies sound pointless, like almost all recaps (especially ones that seem like they don't include any extra footage, or any extra worthwhile footage at that.) Unless it was one time in theaters, what's the point to watch a recap? The shows are short enough to begin with, and I'm sure they're still going to charge full feature price for these, like they did with the Burst Angel OVA.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
FUNimation needs to get that Pani Poni Dash OVA....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
My friend went ahead and bought a boxset of Vandread from Geneon, which was cheaper than FUNi's release. Interesting show, except the CG is god awful. I don't care if it's early, it drags the whole show down with it and shows its age more than something from the 80s would.

While I won't say the CG is the best in the world, I wouldn't say its god awful. Its a little blocky (and honestly CG and regular animation are a little quirky in the first 2 episodes or so), but it does get better as the series goes on. In the 2nd Stage the CG seems to take a big leap forward. If you want some bad CG watch the first stage of Initial D (now watch someone step up to defend ID).

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, these movies sound pointless, like almost all recaps (especially ones that seem like they don't include any extra footage, or any extra worthwhile footage at that.) Unless it was one time in theaters, what's the point to watch a recap? The shows are short enough to begin with, and I'm sure they're still going to charge full feature price for these, like they did with the Burst Angel OVA.

The Integral and Turbulence OVAs are pretty much recaps of the series. They do use the same footage but also shuffle it in such a way that some events occur in a different order. Overall it doesn't add a lot to the story and the little that it does will probably only be appreciated by the people who are already fans of the show. Off the top of my head only 3 things are added throughout both movies:

1. You get a small glimpse at the Mejar Pirate Operation (technically a briefing and points out that Dita is a newer recruit).
2. The all important hot tub scene. Cool
3. spoiler[ The Super Vandread in defense mode. Only Attack and Speed mode were shown in the series. This would probably be the biggest benefit to Vandread Fans.]

Now, I'll go back to hoping for a 3rd Stage of Vandread
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
Well, then I can only hope they put both features in one set and keep the price low. I understand it's a TV special, but that's probably where all but the new scenes should have stayed, on TV and not on video.

The big problem I have with the CG is how jarring it is to go from the rather well-done normal animation to that. Not like I can complain too much, I'm watching it for free, or basically getting paid to watch it as it were.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
@Roguespider: It disturbs me that I remember neither 2 or 3 on that list. Maybe I only saw Integral...it was a few years ago, and the OVAs didn't get much circulation on the internet to begin with, that I saw.

Meanwhile, I will also hope for a 3rd Stage. Maybe after Gonzo is done animating shows about Mahjong and airplane girls, they can return to the days of bad 2D/CG integration.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
I already own the complete collection version of Vandread's 1st & 2nd stage. But I think I'd give this some consideration. Though for me it really depends on how they handle the dubbing. This was one of Bang Zoom Entertainment's early dubs after all. By past history, I assume Funi will try to get the original VAs back if they can. Though I would not totally be opposed to them using their own crew if they absolutely had no other choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2