• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Gurren Lagann Figumate Vol. 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow for smaller scale gashapon figures these really are nicely painted and well done. It makes me have hope for future figures yet after some of the fairly bad ones I've gotten in my collection (so much warping...so much smeared paint...so many girls falling flat on their faces)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Pt. 2 of the Teppelin arc!! :3

Leeron's accessory is one of the little worker robots he uses in the Teppelin arc. I did a quick Youtube search but didn't come up with anything. They're definitely there though (they get squashed during ep 5? the one where the Black Siblings show up and the animation is wonky XD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I love these figures!! Nice to see them getting a great review here. I have that first Yoko and the Teppelin arc Nia, and they are looking adorable on top of my tv as we speak. I'd love to try and get Kamina, any of the Virals, or Gurren Lagann, but I'm scared of getting burned by the blind boxes again.. (yeah, Leeron and one of the Black sisters are still sitting in their boxes unloved somewhere).

Also, I guess I can't pick on you because you're injured, but the photos are kinda bad quality this week. No matter, the figures are awesome regardless. Feel better!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I love these figures!! Nice to see them getting a great review here. I have that first Yoko and the Teppelin arc Nia, and they are looking adorable on top of my tv as we speak. I'd love to try and get Kamina, any of the Virals, or Gurren Lagann, but I'm scared of getting burned by the blind boxes again.. (yeah, Leeron and one of the Black sisters are still sitting in their boxes unloved somewhere).

Also, I guess I can't pick on you because you're injured, but the photos are kinda bad quality this week. No matter, the figures are awesome regardless. Feel better!

I have extras... But I doubt I'd be allowed to sell them to you ^^ lol

Blind box figures are such money suckers, I always end up buying 2 cases in order to pretty much ensure that I get a full set...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elves

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
*hands Rob an ice pack for his elbow*

Thanks for suffering through writing more than you planned - an enjoyable read as per usual. And you might have to suffer through a hurting elbow after all that writing, but at least you didn't have to suffer through crappy figures this week as well! Heal fast! Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
First off: Yay for Astro Toy being back, I certainly did notice it's absence last week. Get well soon, Rob!

evilnekohilda wrote:
Don't forget Pt. 2 of the Teppelin arc!! :3

Yeah, I was going to say, the review only covers the first half of the Teppelin series, the other half is just as good for quality, but I can see why people would pass up the set. I've got both parts of the Teppelin series and really love them. HLJ still has part 2 as well as the two Kamina City sets in stock (one is even on sale!).

As far as Konami's other figures go, they're generally great quality. I got their other trading figure set, Konami Figure Collection, and it's pretty cool. Unfortunately Kamina is actually the point of the set, sure he's dynamic and all, but without the cape or glasses he loses his trademark flare. It's made up for with Gurren Lagann and Simon who both can be displayed with different accessories. Yoko (either) is just as good as any larger PVC statue in the $50 range (obviously much smaller), and Nia has a nice removable cape. They also have nice brigade logo stands. Sadly there is no vol. 2. Sad

Emerje
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
The fangirl story is cute, but we all know what really happened- you and Krauser got into a fight over the new Yokos, and you didn't want to admit a 6-inch action figure broke your elbow. (Must've given as good as you got, seeing as Krauser couldn't even make a cameo this week. Wink )
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Haipaa_Koneko wrote:
Wow for smaller scale gashapon figures these really are nicely painted and well done. It makes me have hope for future figures yet after some of the fairly bad ones I've gotten in my collection (so much warping...so much smeared paint...so many girls falling flat on their faces)

Great column this week. Some of my NEGIMA and SHANA Figumates have bendy, easily warped legs, though it doesn't look like that's a problem with the GL Figumates. The non-scale nature of Figumates is especially annoying with the NEGIMA series since it doesn't take into account the vast height/bust-size differences between the characters. But I still think Figumate is one of the better small-scale figure lines. With blind-box figures I tend to be luckier when there's only a few left at the store so I have no choice as to which boxes to pick--I've gotten a few chase figures this way.
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god . . . I want these SO BAD. They look AWESOME.

Plus, they'd make good props for stop-motion animation. Anime hyper
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
A good review this week, that's great. ^ _ ^ I have Lagann and when I looked at it I had the same reactions. He is frickin' awesome. I seriously want the others badly now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've got many of the Figumates for sale over here if anyone is interested.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Blind box figures are such money suckers, I always end up buying 2 cases in order to pretty much ensure that I get a full set...

Yeah, I usually wait for a local store to offer a complete set. Way too expensive to just buy blind then trade the figures.
babymrbob

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
the little robot is from ep 5 (its name might be mecha-chan)
its the ep where kamina is trying to get simon to combine with him beautifully and they end up fighting the 16 part thing
it was crushed by a rock kamina threw... i think
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
babymrbob wrote:
the little robot is from ep 5 (its name might be mecha-chan)
its the ep where kamina is trying to get simon to combine with him beautifully and they end up fighting the 16 part thing
it was crushed by a rock kamina threw... i think

Episode four, actually, but you have the right scene.

Man, these are among the few things mentioned in this column that I would actually like to own. Every good room needs a Team Gurren to GAR it up a bit. Smile
Beryl7

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Kamina is so adorable!!! ...er, I mean, badass! I want it!

Great review as always, Rob. I knew I was feeling a bit empty last week, I just didn't realize why until now. I'm very sorry to hear about your injury. Get better soon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2