• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Copyright Enforcement

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
But from what I understand the general wants is a day 1 global release of anime as the general fansubber wants, so how can adding work that doesn't achieve that help? Again they would have to have the scripts much earlier to research the information that would show up an would also have to be approved, like the sub script and be a separate thing.

No offense, LordRedhand, but you sound like someone who has never subtitled an episode of anime before. Even to include all that information, it's very very feasible to get the video ready for 0-day release. Look at the Gintama releases on CR as a prime example.

It's not as much extra work as you think it is.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Why watch fansubs over a simulcast? They've got those obtrusive explanation notes, dancing fonts, and take ersatz translations to a whole other level, to the point of nothing but weeaboos showing off their e-penises. Anime isn't supposed to be watched to learn Japanese, learn about Japanese life and culture, or watch intrusive giant dancing fonts and other dick-waving. It's supposed to be watched to be ENJOYED! If you want to learn Japanese, take a language class! Life and culture? Asian studies classes and Wikipedia are your friends here, not anime! (At least the old-school fansubbers got it right, and so do many R1 companies.) I'd rant more about these ersatz translations and lack of translator's invisibility, but I'll let Otaking and his YouTube fansub documentary save me the work here.

As for FUNimation's streaming video, they really do need to fix the buffer speeds. (The other night, I was trying to watch Galaxy Railways there, and I'll be an old man before just ONE episode loads all the way! However, Ghost Hunt seems to load pretty quickly there!) Also, when watching in full-screen, the video freezes randomly while the audio keeps playing normally, forcing me to exit out of full-screen, backtrack to where I was, then go back in full-screen! (It's not just FUNi; Veoh has the same problem!) Why does it keep doing this?

Last edited by The_Libertarian_Otaku on Tue May 05, 2009 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
But it is another step and one that is superfluous to the geting of anime out, it's an extra and is something that would have to meet with approval to get it on there, it's an extra step so from a process standpoint it is something that slows you down, even if it is something "easy" to do. So when looking at a process that you want to be efficient as possible the first things to go are the superfluous steps that are not necessary, so far that step is a want not a need.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Evan: ... As for the authority of the Japanese to enforce their rights against AMV creators in the U.S., technically, yes, they could. I would be astonished if they ever did so on a large scale. And again, the AMV creators could argue the affirmative defense of "fair use."

This really varies by company. There are some like Kadokawa who try and leave anything that is arguably enjoyable up and then there are some like Sunrise who try and take down anything and everything related to their works.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
But it is another step and one that is superfluous to the geting of anime out, it's an extra and is something that would have to meet with approval to get it on there, it's an extra step so from a process standpoint it is something that slows you down, even if it is something "easy" to do. So when looking at a process that you want to be efficient as possible the first things to go are the superfluous steps that are not necessary, so far that step is a want not a need.

Though I tend to agree that it's superfluous for a show that will have an eventual DVD release, I'm just trying to point out that you're arguing about a non-issue. People in the know (e.g. translators and people involved with actual subtitle production) will not take you seriously if that's the issue you raise.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Sorry guys-no prize. You can hunt down all the sites you want but new ones will spring up to take their place. Fansubs aren't going away just because you iissue "takedown" notices. If I were a subber I'd thumb my nose at you. Don't get me wrong-I support the domestic anime industry-I just don't like somebody telling me what and where and when I can watch something.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Why watch fansubs over a simulcast? They've got those obtrusive explanation notes, dancing fonts, and take ersatz translations to a whole other level, to the point of nothing but weeaboos showing off their e-penises.

Unfortunately, stereotypes like that will not help the discussion move along. There's a lot of good stuff happening in fansubs from a production standpoint these days. It'd be beneficial for the industry to take an honest look at it and see what they can merge into their own production methods and technology.

If the industry has their collective head in the sand in regards to what fansubs actually are like in 2009, they're going to continue to have their sales and streaming clicks eaten by fansubs.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Efficient vs. Effective is what I'm truly getting at, most of what I'm hearing is the demand for efficient release which is doing things by the shortest/quickest method possible. Adding steps of any kind unless required runs counter to that demand which is why I say they should focus on getting it out quickly over anything else, as that is the battle that some many say legitimate sources are loosing as they already provide those extras in the DVD release and are doing so in more release complete with art obstructing pop-ups.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why watch fansubs over a simulcast? They've got those obtrusive explanation notes, dancing fonts, and take ersatz translations to a whole other level, to the point of nothing but weeaboos showing off their e-penises. Anime isn't supposed to be watched to learn Japanese, learn about Japanese life and culture, or watch intrusive giant dancing fonts and other dick-waving. It's supposed to be watched to be ENJOYED! If you want to learn Japanese, take a language class! Life and culture? Asian studies classes and Wikipedia are your friends here, not anime! (At least the old-school fansubbers got it right, and so do many R1 companies.) I'd rant more about these ersatz translations and lack of translator's invisibility, but I'll let Otaking and his YouTube fansub documentary save me the work here.

From what I understand from your post, you have not seen a fansub made by a good group lately. Up to this point, there is no way imo that a legal online stream can compare in quality to a good HDTV fansub. That can change in the future, and it should.

@LordRedhand of course its not a need-to-do-asap-or-else. I was just giving my feedback on what I would like to see from a simulcast...^^
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
They have my unconditional support for shutting down the FMA: Brotherhood fansubbers. If any of them go to court, they'd end up owing far more than the Death Note creators received. Smile
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
I have an honest question for Evan, or someone from Funimation.

You said this in the interview:

"Evan: We can't shut them down just for fansubbing in Spain without rights to Spain, but we can certainly shut them down for distributing those fansubs (or making available for distribution) to the U.S."

My question to you is: If you can, what is stopping you from doing it? Lots of groups lately have been either blatantly ignoring C&Ds or releasing under fake group names after the C&D comes in.

Are they doing that good a job being anonymous? Is it a legal resources and budget problem? Do you have problems gathering evidence to escalate legal charges?

I'm genuinely curious what the answer is.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
What I think doesn't really matter when the process is subbing a script as the main and efficient method only goal. Adding steps to the process by definition makes it less efficient. Now as an individual moving quickly a half hour will get you an episode, however that is doing things quickly, and having things done for you already (like timing) without checking for errors, or getting approval which in a legitimate release which has to be done. So when you consider the process of. (note very quick and may not be complete process.)

1. Receive for the series.
2. Translate Script.
3. Check for errors.
4. Time it properly.
5. Approval/ Check for errors
6. Release.

You are adding in several steps that would slow it down from a process standpoint. Specifically:

1. Research.
2. Fact-check for accuracy (don't want to be spreading misinformation)
3. If adding it to the sub itself time it properly to match the area where it is referenced. If not ad it to the file or text like say on youtube or create a web page that links to a database with those files.
4. Approval
5. Release.

So your doubling the number of steps, thus making the process less efficient.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

If the industry has their collective head in the sand in regards to what fansubs actually are like in 2009, they're going to continue to have their sales and streaming clicks eaten by fansubs.

I agree with you, for the most part.

At the same time, fansubs have become SO much about ego and "sticking it to the man" ("the man" being the people who actually produce this stuff) that at what point do the companies stop paying attention to what fansubbers are doing?

At this point it seems like there will always be a bunch of bored college and middle-aged nerds who wish they were in creative professions speed-subbing raws ripped from Japanese DVRs, just for the attention. Apparently, they're also willing to continuously up the ante - as we've seen with horriblesubs and the countless groups rushing FMA2 out the door.

I think these people are marginalizing themselves. At this point nobody except the most diehard "information must be free!" true-believer pirates will actively avoid the free legal streams because the illegal version is "better".
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
So your doubling the number of steps, thus making the process less efficient.

As someone who has worked on thousands of subtitle scripts, I assure you it does not double the amount of work.

In real time, if it adds 15 minutes of work on average, then you need to find a new translator to help you research these things because clearly you aren't very good at it. And companies don't send in their extra facts in to get approved before they go out.

Like I said: non-issue.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
I didn't say time, I said steps, a key difference. If the step is unnecessary it goes when you make a process efficient, it doesn't matter how much time it saves, it just save time that's it. By virtue of it adding time it makes the process less efficient because you are adding time that does not make it efficient because it is not neccessary.

And how so because it runs counter to the goal of release the anime series as quickly as possible, anything that is not necessary that adds any amount of time goes.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25