• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Now this is an interesting turn of events. How many people expected ADV - instead of Funimation - to be the one to step up and do this? At least two of them are solid and well-proven titles which highly deserve to be kept in circulation, too.

Probably shouldn't be a big surprise, though, considering that this is what Funimation has been doing for the past year and a half: rescuing titles whose production work (and, notably, dubbing) has already been done, so the actual release costs are minimal. Still, it's great to see signs of life from ADV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news, I can finally legally own all of Now and Then, Here and There. Had the first two volumes for over a year, and the last 4 episodes are still on my Tivo. I do bet this means I will be double dipping on the first two volumes though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh kickass. NTHT was awesome, and it seems they're only MSRPing this release for $30, thus it's $22.49 right now, very nice. Cheap boxsets is the way to go.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Very, very nice. Good to see the classics staying around.

Would also like to see Utena (and maybe the Patlabor OVA series?) also picked up if we're going for more CPM titles. A few more Geneon series wouldn't hurt, either.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Hope they reauthor NTHT. That one needs some love. I worked on those DVDs, and even I will freely admit that they look like ass.

By the same token, I hope they keep all my special features on Grave of the Fireflies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Who knew ADV was still around?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
MD Geist yes. Smile

OK so I already own it on DVD and laserdisc.

Good titles that ADV picked up, I will have to give them credit to that. Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Who knew ADV was still around?

Seems like they are. I actually prefer re-issuing older things more than acquiring new things right now, because it means they're more likely to be cheap and more likely to be good shows.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice of them to pick up not only the most depressing anime film, but anime series as well.
I always recommend these two to people new to anime so I'm glad ADV is keeping them in circulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So ADV got first crack at the corpse, huh?

At least I won't have to ultimately pay an arm and a leg for used DVDs of Now and Then, Here and There on Amazon or even eBay (I have found people charging $40 or more for just ONE disc).

MD Geist: Glad to see that one rescued, too. However, I already bought a used copy of CPM's release off eBay (Shit was SO cash). Either way, it's better than not having it at all.

Now, if any of their other properties get rescued, things'll be jake. (Someone please, PLEASE rescue DNA², the Rumic World OVAs, Descendants of Darkness, Cyber City Oedo 808, Negadon, Domain of Murder, Utena, Garzey's Wing, and Arslan!)

Last edited by The_Libertarian_Otaku on Tue May 05, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for World of Narue (Anime Selects ran that on On Demand about six months ago and I felt it was one of the better "free girlfriend" series.)

As for M.D. Geist: What? I mean, I know that Justin has done his piece/peace on it. I watched both when they were on the SciFi channel just to see what the noise was. "What?" was what came out of my mouth. Not to sound ultimately cynical but who is actually going to buy this?

(EDIT: Sorry, I guess there are some people who like it. I meant no offense.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
As for M.D. Geist: What? I mean, I know that Justin has done his piece/peace on it. I watched both when they were on the SciFi channel just to see what the noise was. "What?" was what came out of my mouth. Not to sound ultimately cynical but who is actually going to buy this?

It's cheap, and it's also quite hilarious. One of those shows that's so bad that it wraps about back to being good. I don't know why people label it with TEH WURST ANIMU EVAR, it's ridiculously over the top in terms of ultra-violence, non-nonsensical plot, misogyny, and stupidity. It's great, and $15 or less seems about the right price. Hopefully the pre-order price will stay low and this will be one of those shows that hits the bargain bin.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease someone get the rights to Utena! I don't care who!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I will commit myself to total company loyalty to whoever, if ever, picks up Revolutionary Girl Utena. The first couple DVDs have been out of print forever, and they just re released it all in Japan remastered and in HD... and oh god it's so gorgeous. I want it so bad. Come on American companies, it has a dedicated cult following in the anime community, you'll sell your boxsets! I don't care if it's sub only!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Would also like to see Utena (and maybe the Patlabor OVA series?) also picked up if we're going for more CPM titles.

Already own both Utena and the Patlabor OVA, but it still would be very nice to see them both rescued since they are OOP. Maybe even remastered?

HellKorn wrote:
A few more Geneon series wouldn't hurt, either.

Yes! Anything Yoshitoshi ABe would be fan-freakin-tastic.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue May 05, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9