• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-08]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I sat through Paprika and at first I was lost. Then spoiler[a guys tuck his hand in his stomach] and i was like wow. The movie was beautifully animated but the story....bleh.
Maybe I missed something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DizzyLikeQuantum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I sat through Paprika and at first I was lost. Then spoiler[a guys tuck his hand in his stomach] and i was like wow. The movie was beautifully animated but the story....bleh.
Maybe I missed something.

You missed everything Crying or Very sad
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well there were plenty of Otaku stereotypes in that letter from the US animator...
Anyway I think that was the first time I heard someone with an actual plan about how they wanted to get visual novels to the US. It even seems like they did some of that research stuff Shocked

Oh and I think you might be right. Anime is getting worse.
DizzyLikeQuantum

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Oh and I think you might be right. Anime is getting worse.

I beg to differ. I think anime is getting better. People have an unfortunate tendency to idolize relics~there was a great deal of crap back in the day as there is now, but history washed away most of the sludge and uncovered the gems. Mushi-shi and Paranoia Agent are quite recent and those are both most excellent and worthy of remembrance, not to mention Kon, Miyazaki, and Shinkai among many, many others putting out masterpieces on a regular basis.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly, loser Otaku are so dedicated to their lifestyles as empty, soulless recluses that the concept of “shame” doesn't seem to penetrate.

See now, I don't get this. I'm a reclusive shut-in who rather enjoys his empty soulless existence. Yet I have no desire to watch that garbage. Quite the opposite in fact. If all I do is stay home all day and watch anime I at least want to watch something good.
Flaed

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
The Illusion of Life and The Animator's Survival Kit are indeed really worth reading - once you read them everything you watch takes on a whole new level, even if you've no professional aspirations.

Plus, they're genuinely fun to read, and full of really awesome art.

(plug ends here)

I would be pretty happy if clean versions of some visual novels came over, though I would sort of prefer them for the PC (as I do not actually own any video game systems and thus could not play them) - thoroughly enjoyed the Clannad anime and I'd like to try playing some of the (already clean) Key works like Little Busters! and Planetarian.

Also, Princess Maker is something I would really love to play. . . . I think there actually was a botched attempt at bringing that one over, though.

I can't really see a good market for them over here. . .but I hope these guys succeed! Good luck to them.
giascle

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
If people actually listened to Amy, I cannot imagine how much better the world would be.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
I really don't think that you have to keep going to the Japanese for Visual Novels. You should make up your own mind and just do the thing yourself, or with a group of developers. Unless your aim is to release in Japan....

Or you could work on promoting popularity of VNs in the west. What recently comes to mind is Katawa Shoujo. While it started on 4-chan (gag), it has turned into a project with a lot of love, and has come out looking and feeling very very professional. It's made by a small handful of dedicated developers, and is a very good example of a western-originating Visual Novel (even if it is done in Japanese style).

http://katawa-shoujo.com/

Just shows what you can do. They are releasing it for free, so I have no idea about marketing and making actual releases for-profit in the US. I maintain that the market has to be made first.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Brian's description of the ebb and flow of anime interest sounds very close to my experience. This semester has been an absolute killer, especially where anime is concerned. I don't really have time to watch much, and when I do, I don't feel that interested. The end result is that I feel like a bad otaku. Of course, this summer should help fix that. I think it's more the memory of being able to watch as much as I did that makes me feel bad now.

I definitely also experienced the initial rush when I started where I would watch anything that I could, even if I didn't like it. I hated Reign: the Conqueror, and yet I watched the whole thing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Interesting week, Brian.
Shii

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
I sat through Evangelion in one sitting when I was 14 because my friends wouldn't shut up about it. As I expected, it blew goats. I haven't rewatched it since.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
If someone could bring over Higurashi, Clannad, Little Busters! Shuffle! On the Stage, and assorted other "clean" (or cleaned up). Visual Novels. I would just burst into join. Literally, and that would be to bad because it would be a big mess. Laughing

I proposed an idea to Yen Press of all people (by proposed I mean, I wrote in the Yen Plus Feedback page.) That I thought, to atleast grow a market for Visual Novels in the US. You take books that are already popular (IE Twilight, Harry Potter, ect.) And you make them into immation Visual Novels. This will get people interested. And inside of those games you have "trailers" for our beloved import Visual Novels. *sigh*. Maybe I should just learn Japanese already Razz
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ebb and flow of anime interest: I've been watching anime for twelve years now, with hundreds of shows under my belt, and have never once experienced so much as a burnout or a slump. Not even after having once watched 180 different shows in just one year. There was a time back in school when I didn't watch much anime (Apart from school, I devoted my time to other interests as well, such as pro wrestling), but now, even with a job, I've still managed to reach a point where anime dominates my life. (Back in school, I only watched whatever Cartoon Network, USA Network, and Kids' WB threw at me. Now, if you add up the stuff on Adult Swim, the Sci-Fi Channel, YouTube, Crunchyroll, Veoh, FUNimation's own site, and my DVD library, I'm now able to follow up to 30 different shows at any given time.)

Anime you've forced yourself to watch but didn't like: I've never had this experience save for the following animes: Geisters and Sword for Truth. Even then, I was mostly laughing at Geisters' bad CGI. (If you're going to put 3D CGI in an anime, at least take the time to blend it in with the 2D animation, unless you're any of Radix's works!)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I force myself to sit through pretty much any Gundam production simply because I'm such a Gundam completist. I had to grit my teeth to get through the original Gundam Seed, I don't think it should shock anyone that Destiny had me writhing on the floor in agony. Luckily, I tempered it by watching more enjoyable programs after each episode.

Most of the time, though, I tend not to bother with shows whose premise seems uninteresting to begin with, so I tend not to run into shows I have to force my way through. The only other example I can come up with is watching Saiyuki to appease a friend, when it was really not all that great, and watching Rumbling Hearts in a college anime club, which is probably my least favorite anime ever.

If I do end up finding an anime intensely horrible, I either stop watching after a few episodes or watch it while doing other things, using it as background noise and hoping I look up in time to see some little nugget of gold in the dirt pile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cynthia loves her some David Matranga:

If Cynthia listened to the commentary on the Saiyuki Requiem movie, then she'd know Mr. Matranga skipped out to New York to make his name so, per the director, had Geneon not stolen the Saiyuki franchise, ADV had planned to replace him. The movie was his last hurrah at ADV for a time. Since you say he's done some recent stuff, he apparently returned to the anime fold. He was also in Steel Angel Kurumi, but that's before he left.
The Japanese cast for Saiyuki is amazing. Geneon settled for coming as close as they could to the Japanese VA's. Akira Ishida & Toshihiko Seki are 25 & 30 on this site's list of most prolific VA's with 233 & 221 roles respectively. I'm actually surprised Hoshi's not on it because he's very popular. (or maybe he's in a lot of the stuff I watch so it seems he's in everything)
You have to go to ADV's heydays in the mid-part of this decade to get most of the American cast's body of work. Illich Guardiola was one of their busier actors.

Quote:
visual novels and the anime

Didn't Hirameki fail at censoring hentai games? The cuts irritated the hardcore fans & still didn't reach enough of an audience? (or was that just the yaoi stuff?)

Quote:
Has this happened where someone will be "gung-ho" about anime, and then after awhile it's like they get sedated, only being interested in some anime, if they even have interest left?

It sucks when the real world rears its ugly head into our personal-time, doesn't it? I still love anime, but between the econony & watching co-workers getting pink slips, I've really cut back & I hear a lot of people saying the same. We can't keep partying like there's no tomorrow. And people's tastes change. It's life. I grew up with a lot of financial instability so all this is is really depressing & I find myself pulling in like a turtle. Not going to movies like I did a year ago. Obviously not eating out like last year.

Quote:
I certainly don't think those lousy harem shows are worth producing, but they DO sell, so what do I know?

Put one of my fav VA's (say Koyasu, Hayami, or Hoshi) & I'll probably go for it because, depending on the size of the harem, it probably means the VA I want to hear will get 1/7th of the time(dependant on the number of guys in the harem) vs Koyasu's wonderful, though not near enough time in Ouran Host. The villain/rival role (Okiayu in Haruka) also possibly means a sizable role (though there's always Hayami's Aizen. Wonderful when on screen, but not enough). Or more likely, we get 2 or 3 VA's we like which again tilts the title over into buy like Okiayu, Miki, Hoshi, Ishida, Seki, Miyata, Okiayu & Inoue in Haruka.

Quote:
Saint Seiya is a guilty pleasure of mine

Why a guilty pleasure? It rocks. I just spent $80 to get Aquarius Camus in his Hades cloth briinging my total to 20 of those expensive little 6 inch dolls. Kubo's borrowed heavily from it so the masses are getting filtered Seiya
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5