• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Sephiroth & Riku Static Arts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It's easier to write when you don't like the toys right Twisted Evil
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
God, Leo would frickin' LOVE these! He likes Final Fantasy... (At least I think...)

BTW, Rob, this has absolutely nothing to do with anime toys, but do you happen to own Darth Tater?
senbei

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Sephiroth's base is supposed to be Meteor, or so I heard.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Rob Bricken wrote:
Sephiroth is the more dynamic of the two statues, obviously; his trenchcoat-thing swirling around him, his arm raised… well, I'm not sure why. He's probably summoning magic or something, but since there's no representation of that by his arm, he looks kind of like he's raising his hand in class to ask a question.

Looks to me to be about the same pose some opera singers I know will strike when the director asks them to 'be dramatic'... Also known as the 'First Pavarotti' position (Second Pavarotti is the other arm up, Third Pavarotti is both arms up).
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
150 page college thesis paper.....?

I need to stop complaining about my pathetic 6-8 page paper now.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Riku's face is also very plain, which is sad, because he's actually an emotional character. My Roxas figure has no emotion, either...I think this is a common downfall of all the Kingdom Hearts figures, actually.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
oreover, I don't have the faintest clue what his base is supposed to be. There's black goo, a big angel wing, some rocks and a bit of a fallen column… I played both Kingdom Hearts games all the way through, and I have no idea. Feel free to elucidate me in the comments.

I was going to say "Oooh, ooh!" excitedly and tell you that the base was based off of the cover for Kingdom Hearts Final Mix to prove how much of a KH nut I am, but if that's really the case, the colors are inverted. But the collapsed statue next to the Riku figure seems to at least be a sort-of reference to this piece of artwork for the game if not a replica of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that a lot of people like action figures better, but when it comes to humans (mechas are different, since joints don't look out of place on them) I prefer stand-art, or static-art figures. I don't play with them, and if they're action figures, I spend so much time trying to get them into a cool pose, only to have a weak joint ruin the pose. So I think I'd prefer the static art.

That being said, there are two Cloud/Sephiroth statues from Advent Children that trump these two statues in every possible way.
tobiasender

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
senbei wrote:
Sephiroth's base is supposed to be Meteor, or so I heard.

That is my guess, Considering how FF7 went, it makes sense.

Though Riding meteor...is special
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
oreover, I don't have the faintest clue what his base is supposed to be. There's black goo, a big angel wing, some rocks and a bit of a fallen column… I played both Kingdom Hearts games all the way through, and I have no idea. Feel free to elucidate me in the comments.

I was going to say "Oooh, ooh!" excitedly and tell you that the base was based off of the cover for Kingdom Hearts Final Mix to prove how much of a KH nut I am, but if that's really the case, the colors are inverted. But the collapsed statue next to the Riku figure seems to at least be a sort-of reference to this piece of artwork for the game if not a replica of it.

wow... you really are a nut... lol thats awsome
Betavash

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Rob Bricken wrote:
Moreover, I don't have the faintest clue what his base is supposed to be. There's black goo, a big angel wing, some rocks and a bit of a fallen column… I played both Kingdom Hearts games all the way through, and I have no idea. Feel free to elucidate me in the comments.

The base reminds me of the first game where Riku helps close the door on the darkness. If I remember right you could see pillars covered with black goo. spoiler for who hasn't played the games spoiler[I think the angel wing represents Riku before giving himself up to the darkness and taking on Ansem's Heartless form in chain of memories and KH2]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wrote a ridiculous 150-page college thesis on the damn game.

Seriously? That's neat. If you don't mind me asking, on what specifically did you write it?

BleuVII wrote:
I appreciate that a lot of people like action figures better, but when it comes to humans (mechas are different, since joints don't look out of place on them) I prefer stand-art, or static-art figures. I don't play with them, and if they're action figures, I spend so much time trying to get them into a cool pose, only to have a weak joint ruin the pose. So I think I'd prefer the static art.

Yeah, this is how I feel too. I'm not going to 'play' with these things. I just want some neat looking decorations to put on my shelf from my favorite games/anime. I'd much rather just wait for a static one with a pose I like and not have to deal with a bunch of ugly joints. (As well for me though, mecha is a different story.)
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Rob Bricken wrote:
Sephiroth is the more dynamic of the two statues, obviously; his trenchcoat-thing swirling around him, his arm raised… well, I'm not sure why. He's probably summoning magic or something, but since there's no representation of that by his arm, he looks kind of like he's raising his hand in class to ask a question.

He does that in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, when he forms thunderous clouds to show how much control over he's taken over the planet.
Bricken

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
The thesis was my college Honors thesis; it didn't really have to be 150 pages, I'm just insane. It was about trying to prove videogames were a legitimate art form through a critical analysis of Final Fantasy VII, examining both the literary and cinematic techniques it used, as well as how it manipulated its interactivity to create meaning and feeling. In a long and nerdy life, it remains the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

And yes, I may own a Darth Tater. Maybe.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Bricken wrote:
The thesis was my college Honors thesis; it didn't really have to be 150 pages, I'm just insane. It was about trying to prove videogames were a legitimate art form through a critical analysis of Final Fantasy VII, examining both the literary and cinematic techniques it used, as well as how it manipulated its interactivity to create meaning and feeling. In a long and nerdy life, it remains the nerdiest thing I have ever done.

And yes, I may own a Darth Tater. Maybe.

Yes, yes, YES!!!

I mean, *ahem*, awesome topic. You always hear the complaint that kids these days "would prefer a video game to a book." And I always argue that games are just as legit as books. I'm a librarian and English - Creative Writing major (so it always surprises people when I take this stance), and I can tell you that what the majority of Americans read is as "literary" as any video game with a piss poor plot.

I wouldn't mind writing for games, in fact, but I'm suck when it comes to game mechanics (I really do play games for the story), so I'm not sure I could write something that would integrate easily into a playable medium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2