• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime food: Does a series entice you to try it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Every once in a while, I catch something the characters are eating and tell myself "That's something which I need to try."

I discovered Pocky this way (not carried much near me and the one place carries it for $3/box) and now I'm addicted.

In addition, I also want to try miso soup, octopus balls, and melon bread.

But I'm not sure what "miso" really is. I've looked it up, and plenty of places sell it, but is it "all the same"? I guess I'll have to find out.

Oh, and for those wondering: I've read melon bread doesn't actually have melon in it. Bummer. But I still want to try it.

Some of the drinks look interesting, and some quite gross. Even the gross ones seem tempting to try, just for the experience.

I found a website to order from (can't link due to "Teh Rules"), so I'm about to take the plunge.

So, what foods and drinks do you want to try?
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Very much so, yes. I currently have no money at all, but in the near future, sometime in summer, I will buy Pocky and the Ramune drink.
Onegai Teacher and Ga-Rei Zero made me want to try the former (although it is available here as "Mikado"), RahXephon has one of it's best parts when they drink some Ramune.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Very much so, yes. I currently have no money at all, but in the near future, sometime in summer, I will buy Pocky and the Ramune drink.
Onegai Teacher and Ga-Rei Zero made me want to try the former (although it is available here as "Mikado"), RahXephon has one of it's best parts when they drink some Ramune.

I am in the same vote for Pocky. After seeing Onegai Teacher it made me want to try it. Never seen it sold anywhere close where I live and it isn't worth traveling for. Still want to try it out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
No. Japan was a part of my everyday life before anime was, so I was eating Japanese food quite a bit. Even then if I'm watching anime a series does not make me want to try a new Japanese dish.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, there's an online anime shop where I live which also sells Ramune, Pocky and instant noodles. I wouldn't know where to get them without driving half an hour ^^
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Miso is wonderful - I prefer it to chicken broth. It has the same saltiness, but there's a wonderful subtle, smokey flavor in it too. Yummy, especially with some noodles and onions.

I love pocky too, but I've never actually seen it in an anime. It was just one of those crazy Japanese things that my pals at anime club always seemed to have around, and I got hooked. Most of the stuff I've been inspired to try by seeing it in anime is actual Japanese food, like sukiyaki, Japanese-style hamburgers, and kushidango. I always cook it myself, too - that's half the fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My parents were always into Japanese food so I kind of grew up with it, but even so that's only the western norm like sushi, ramen, miso and the normal stuff you can get at any Japanese restaurant across the country and even then I have no idea how authentic it is compared to the food in Japan. That being said, I've always wanted to try melon bread since I watched Shana. I always liked baking and melon bread sounds really good...
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Well, for quite a while, I've always wanted to try one of these but 1) I'd imagine this the type of thing to taste best fresh and b) why can I not find a single place that makes these stupid thing! None of the places around here seem to make them, why can't the sushi places make these and not just sushi!? I want one with some sort of fun filling perhaps too. I believe these are called "onigiri", right? Unless you're doing localization for Pokemon in which case they are jelly donuts or poorly edited crackers.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Totally! Ranma 1/2 makes me want to try Ramen (the real stuff, not the instant), and okonomiyaki.

I discovered Pocky (and other snacks, like Happy Panda) and Ramune through cons and World Market, though.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
My father was a career Army officer and I grew up living on or next to several military bases. Which, at that time, meant many of the ladies in the neighborhood had come to the US as Japanese or Korean war brides. So I've been familiar with and very fond of both cuisines for a very long time. But I'm always game for trying out new things and I've seen dishes in various anime series that I wound up trying because they piqued my interest: omelette rice, for example. And it seems like every time I watch Kanon I wind up running down to Tokyo Asian Market to buy azuki beans so that I can make a batch of taiyaki. Smile

BTW - for those who want to try melon bread but cannot find it locally, if you live in an area with a sizable Mexican population there are pastries called "conchas" that are quite similar. Conchas have a slightly firmer texture and contain a bit of cinnamon, but odds are if you like conchas you will also enjoy melon bread.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
In addition, I also want to try miso soup, octopus balls, and melon bread.

I've actually tried melon bread before, it's pretty good in my opinion. I tried it because one day I was at some kind of family gathering thing and I saw it on the table. I remembered it from various anime and manga and thought "might as well give it a shot".

And a side note, miso soup is great. I wouldn't suggest getting the instant stuff (it tastes bad), but if you order it at a restaurant it's usually good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

But I'm not sure what "miso" really is. I've looked it up, and plenty of places sell it, but is it "all the same"? I guess I'll have to find out.

Oh, and for those wondering: I've read melon bread doesn't actually have melon in it. Bummer. But I still want to try it.

No, not all miso is the same!!! Nicer Japanese restaraunts (where I live, anyway) have a salty version of miso I adore. The one time I tried it from a cheap teriyaki joint, it was sweet- I couldn't eat it. Mid-grade shops/ the instant I've gotten are in-between... not great, not bad. (My instant of choice is the kind sold in the deli at Uwajimaya, which I am very fortunate to live kind-of near.)

There really isn't melon in melon bread, which surprised me too- it's basically a regular bread roll with cookie dough over the top. I prefer the fresher ones baked daily by a local bakery and sent to Uwajimaya, as opposed to the pre-packed ones from Japan (they're squishy. Bleh.) The ones I like are always sold out when I make it up though, with sucks.

As for what I'd like to try... one of these days I'll get around to buying some Black Black gum and Melty Kiss chocolate. Aside from that, nothing specific really comes to mind... there's enough Asian grocery stores around I just get what looks good to me. Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
No, can't say as they look all that appetizing. Most Japanese food seems to consist of seafood and vegetables. Consequently, I dislike most foods in these categories aside from a few exceptions.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
No, not all miso is the same!!! Nicer Japanese restaraunts (where I live, anyway) have a salty version of miso I adore. The one time I tried it from a cheap teriyaki joint, it was sweet- I couldn't eat it. Mid-grade shops/ the instant I've gotten are in-between... not great, not bad. (My instant of choice is the kind sold in the deli at Uwajimaya, which I am very fortunate to live kind-of near.)

I'd agree with this. I'd say that the only place to get good miso is at a good Japanese restaurant. There's this Japanese Stake House near me that serves some great miso soup. I'd say the more salt it has, the better.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes. Cooking anime especially.

Other times, it just entices me to eat Japanese or chinese food. Other times, it entices me to cook.

HECK, my bro and I even copied a recipe from Mr. Ajikko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6