• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scandal Music Videos Now Playing on ANN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I love this band! I love their style of music, and I love their outfits (school girls! \m/). I like the song "Doll", but "Sakura Goodbye" is a little mellow for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hara

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
That net series is so poorly made it just hurts.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:

I don't think the intention was to have high quality animation, just some quickie flash animation that would be quick to create and easy to stream. That being said, I thought the episodes were a hoot, very cute and funny, and I enjoyed the voice work by the band.

I haven't had a chance to view the music videos yet. ANN, what's next? Selling us Scandal songs? Bring it on! Smile You got most of the other bases covered, might as well take it to the next step!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:

Agreed. Sure the songs might be mildly decent, but if the quality of the video is bad, it brings down the entire series.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I don't think the intention was to have high quality animation, just some quickie flash animation that would be quick to create and easy to stream.

Agreed, this was just a quick project made to amuse the band itself and their fans. Definitely not an attempt to create a stand-alone anime property. The budget required to give this series high-end animation similar to what we see with TV series, simply wouldn't make any sense.

-t
Akukame

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:
I don't think the intention was to have high quality animation, just some quickie flash animation that would be quick to create and easy to stream.

Agreed, this was just a quick project made to amuse the band itself and their fans. Definitely not an attempt to create a stand-alone anime property. The budget required to give this series high-end animation similar to what we see with TV series, simply wouldn't make any sense.

-t

I'd actually be more tempted to say that the project was an attempt to create interest in the band back before the band had any popularity to support it. If I recall back when they were at sakuracon (and under an independent label, being promoted in the US by Tokyopop). They were being touted to have animated personas, probably as a way to drag in anime fans. On all of their websites and pictures and such didn't actually have any pictures of the actual band, and only pictures of the animated characters. Before the concert and on the screens at their booth they also looped the animated thing. At the time, if I recall, atleast half the group members were also still in school (from which they all went to and met), so although the school girl outfits were definitely a costume, they kinda made sense.
hara

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't only talking about the animation. The episodes were annoyingly boring as well (I watched three of them). If the animation is bad at least the content has to be great but this wasn't the case here imo.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
I wasn't only talking about the animation. The episodes were annoyingly boring as well (I watched three of them). If the animation is bad at least the content has to be great but this wasn't the case here imo.

That I'll give you. The episodes are scripted in a very Japanese style similar to 4-Koma manga. Most Westerners don't like the style, and most Western reviewers are very dismissive of it. We've posted several very negative reviews of 4-koma manga.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1