• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Hunter D

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's no thread for this series.

Anyone read the Vampire Hunter D novels? After watching the second movie I got interested in the series and I think it's very enjoyable. I like each book better than the last and they provide more insight on the characters and explanation of the world than the movies did. The first 8 volumes have been released in America. The 9th is coming out later in November. There are 17 volumes in all.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first book. It's interesting. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother reading the rest of the series though. There were moments where the writing was really good, but most of it didn't really grab me (though I think at times it was because of obvious translating). The story also is a bit episodic for my tastes.

I might be interested in reading one that the second movie is based off though (assuming that it is based off one of the books, of course...I know the first novel was the source for the first movie).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Each book is pretty much it's own stand-alone story, with D being the only constant. So if your not into that then VHD probably won't be for you. Volumes 7 and 8 are two parters though.

The second movie is based on the 3rd novel. I think they're both good in their own ways. The novel is much darker and bleaker than the movie.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I might skip the second and read the 3rd then, and use that to make my decision about whether or not to look at any more.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Most reviews I've read say volume 2 is better than the 1st, so since your giving it another shot there's a chance you'll end up enjoying the series. But yeah, third volume is pretty cool.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first 3 or 4, but stopped reading them when a machine missed hitting D because he was so handsome. I'm not kidding. It was so ridiculous I couldn't stomach it anymore. I thought that the 3rd one was definitely worth the read, however.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I've read half of the first one...I need to finish it...
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Reno-chan wrote:
I enjoyed the first 3 or 4, but stopped reading them when a machine missed hitting D because he was so handsome. I'm not kidding. It was so ridiculous I couldn't stomach it anymore. I thought that the 3rd one was definitely worth the read, however.

Ya know, I actually forgot about that part. Probably a good thing too. I enjoy the series, but it does have its corny moments. It could have something to do with the fact that they were written back in the 80s.
xztr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that this thread is like 2 years old but what the hell.

I have now read 1-3 and are 50% into the forth book and I got realy confused about the continuity in the actual story/world. I dont wanna spoil anything so I'll try to explain it as simple as I can.

In the second book the author cleary states that inbreeding doesnt give any defects to the children since the vampires removed genetic weaknesses from the humans.

BUT in the forth book they claim that some people in the village are trying to come up with a drug that combat inbreeding problems.

So...what gives? Did Hideyuki just forgot what he wrote in the second book or what?

And in the first book D gives his pendant to a special someone, so how can he have it in all the other books? Then it should mean that he either got a new one or that the first book is actually one of the last ones.

Any thoughts?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I read the first one and had way more fun with it than I was expecting even with all the little translation and grammar errors. It took me a while to get used to the format, but I loved the view of V we've never really seen in the anime. I'm trying to get my hands on the other books. I think it'd do better in general with another person adapting it, but maybe the guy gets better with the later volumes.

Besides, Yoshitaka Amano's artwork is worth the buy alone in my opinion.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I read the first 3 volumes, but lost interest. There were parts that were completely ridiculous, and I found the series a bit of a mary sue. There is better stuff out there for me.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
I see VHD has not too many fans over here... I wonder why.

I find the stories really really good and engaging.. The writing style (or maybe it is translation) is not maybe the kind of style I prefer, I mus admit, and the technical explanations are sometimes hard to follow- there are things hard to imagine if you dont see them, like descriptions of various weapons used throughout the novels.

despite that, I have read a few novels, the Deamon Deathchcase, Pilgrimage of the Sacred and the Profane, Mysterious Journey to the North Sea, Dark Nocturne and Rose Princess, and one more the title I cant remember. And I enjoyed them all. you can argue that the charactrs are somewhat stereotypical, and that Kikuchi does not go far away from the same scheme while constructing the plot, but still- there is something great in his stories, the darkness and the magic, the mystery, the action, passion, destiny, he knows how tu put those elements together and maintain just the right balance. A very good read Id say!
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I just wish H.K. would get around to revealing anything about D's birth or the parasite.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I forgot where I read this but, I heard that Dark Horse Comics, great, success with Vampire Hunter D is an anomaly.

So ya, I bought and read the first book, and I enjoyed it. It's just that for a "light" novel, VHD was kind of heavy.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
SgtMustang wrote:
I just wish H.K. would get around to revealing anything about D's birth or the parasite.

I dont know... I was just talking to a friend about it, and we came to the conclusion we dont really need any detail. I personally dont care whether D was Dracula's son, or whether Dracula even ever existed in that universe. We do know his father was a powerful vampire, and his mother was a human being, and I think if the author ever disclosed more, the air of mystery around D would have disappeared. And I kind of really, really like the air of mystery arouond him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2