• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Honey Hunt GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the girl hating her parents, which didn't come up too often, this one was a real bore. All the standard showbiz manga plots are in full force; she's too self-conscious and she'll fail if she doesn't have more confidance, the director gives her an unorthodox audition without her realizing it, a jealous girl ruins her wardrobe before a shoot....*yawn*.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
I haven't read Skip Beat so I don't know how they compare, but I like Honey Hunt because Yura is an appealing central character. This is serialized in Shojo Beat where spoiler[it has become evident that Yura is being used and lied to, so her "improbably big break" wasn't improbable at all.] I look forward to reading more.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The first volume was good but once I got to the second, I couldn't stand Yura's mopey-ness. I dunno if it's a set-up for some big future character development to make her weak as ever to a strong independent woman....or it's all for cruel amusement.

I pity her before but you end up pitying her too much that it becomes annoying. And alot of her characters look the same. I saw some Asuza look-alikes there Surprised
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I've been enjoying Honey Hunt so far despite how unrealistic it might be.

I read a preview for Skip Beat a long time ago in Shojo Beat and it didn't really appeal to me at the time. She swears to become famous just to beat some guy at his own game...really? Plus I thought the long pointy faces of all the male characters were really ugly looking.
But with everyone going on about how great it is I really should look into it more.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
She swears to become famous just to beat some guy at his own game...really?

He basically tells her that so long as he's rich and famous and she's not there's nothing she can do to get back at him. So she decides to become even bigger than he is, so that she can take him down. It's also her reacting against being told she's nothing and worthless; if she become a recognized celebrity, she proves him wrong. And over time she starts to really love acting etc. and it becomes less about getting back at him and more about proving herself.

Yeah, I like Skip Beat. This sounds like a ripoff if ever I heard one. It may be a good ripoff for all I know, but it's still a ripoff.
nerei

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
dizzywulf wrote:
She swears to become famous just to beat some guy at his own game...really?

He basically tells her that so long as he's rich and famous and she's not there's nothing she can do to get back at him. So she decides to become even bigger than he is, so that she can take him down. It's also her reacting against being told she's nothing and worthless; if she become a recognized celebrity, she proves him wrong. And over time she starts to really love acting etc. and it becomes less about getting back at him and more about proving herself.

Yeah, I like Skip Beat. This sounds like a ripoff if ever I heard one. It may be a good ripoff for all I know, but it's still a ripoff.

I would agree with it and add that I'm in Skip Beat for the comedy as well. I've heard people saying that they didn't like the art style, or the framing, but i have no issues with those. I'm in it for the laughs and the plots, esp the times when she prove herself to others.

I didn't like the main character in Hot Gimmick. Reading that this manga is by the same mangaka and that the plot is similar to one of my fav manga of all times isn't really encouraging...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
nerei wrote:
[I would agree with it and add that I'm in Skip Beat for the comedy as well.

You mean all the Scrubs-esque asides into her vivid imagination? I love those!
babbo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Calling a skip beat rip off seems kind of unfair. why not glass mask while you're at it? Acting manga have been beaten to death from many angles, and even revenge stories arent uncommon in shojou manga. These too series also take much different approaches to the story; skip beat really doesn't have much in the way of real drama (aside from kyokou's emo emo past) it's a comedy manga with good feelings through and through. Honey hunt had one of the most dramatic beginnings I've seen in quite a while. I'll admit that seeing it devolve into an acting manga from there was a little disappointing, but it's not quite so bad.

Quote:
read a preview for Skip Beat a long time ago in Shojo Beat and it didn't really appeal to me at the time. She swears to become famous just to beat some guy at his own game...really?
Um. Not so different from honey hunt really. It's really a difference of portrayl of the characters really ( though i still think calling it a rip off is going a bit far).
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
[ Plus I thought the long pointy faces of all the male characters were really ugly looking. ]

I never read the manga, but thought the same when watching the anime. Don’t worry. You get used to it after a while. It took me a while to notice it, but then it took a while to forget it again.

Skip Beat is actually pretty funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1