• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moonlight Sonata

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The description of Moonlight Mile is quite apt and fitting, whether you like or dislike the show. My scouter says that it's Super Seinen Level 3. It's my hope that enough people check it out to warrant Funimation releasing the second season in the US, because much like other sufficiently seinen anime properties (*cough* Golgo 13) there weren't really any fansubs of it past the first few episodes. I for one want to see more of these guys as they drink, screw, and operate heavy machinery.

Something worth pointing out about all of these Funimation re-releases of the various older Geneon shows: they're releasing them "ADV thinpak" style. That is to say, all of (or nearly all in some cases) the extras have been stripped out for the sake of fitting the entire series on fewer discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maichips

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Jenna, props for having The Last Unicorn!!!!
Egret

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Night Head Genesis. Is it bad that I really liked that show? I mean, I'm watching it, and I know it's crap, and the characters are annoying me, but somehow, I finish an episode and think it's a good idea to watch the next one. Every darn time. I guess it's a guilty pleasure. Embarassed

Pretty shelves this week, and I especially like her taste in video games.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Something worth pointing out about all of these Funimation re-releases of the various older Geneon shows: they're releasing them "ADV thinpak" style. That is to say, all of (or nearly all in some cases) the extras have been stripped out for the sake of fitting the entire series on fewer discs.

Really?? Man, that sucks, at least for Gankutsuou, GENEON's release had just gobs of extras.

Then again, my RahXephon thinpak (ADV) had all the extras, so I'm not sure what you're talking about...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I kind of want to see Night Head Genesis now... Well at least I know we can still count on Shin Chan for juvenile laughs and Moonlight Mile looks interesting. Like a bunch of Kamina's with Super Sayian level testosterone who attract more women then the whole Ouran High School Host Club combined got to be the main characters in a Space Opera.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^ADV excluded the extras in their thinpack releases, that much is true, but for some reason there were exceptions (RahXephon, Noir, FMP). My thinpacks of Najica, Cromartie, Azudai, Excel Saga and Eva-Platinum have nothing beyond trailers.

Man, that Moonlight Mile description had me laughing. So Earth just could not contain their immense manliness? Laughing
And its good to see one of my all-time favorites, Last Exile taking the Shelf-worthy position as it deserves it. Unfortunately for FUNi I already own the Range Murata thinpack. They'll have to get my money from other releases (as if they didn't have enough of my money already Rolling Eyes ).
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice shelves, but I really want to go there and put the titles in their proper numerical order. Very Happy

And nice choice in cats, I love mackerel tabbies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The description of Moonlight Mile is quite apt and fitting, whether you like or dislike the show. My scouter says that it's Super Seinen Level 3. It's my hope that enough people check it out to warrant Funimation releasing the second season in the US, because much like other sufficiently seinen anime properties (*cough* Golgo 13) there weren't really any fansubs of it past the first few episodes.

Seconded, great show it is - the actual space scenes are most faithfully scientifically set out - even if Goro screws a female astronaut before attempting (and succeeding with of course) some heroic space repair job (Hubble bubble right now huh).

I also hope the second season gets an airing in English as that has not been fansubbed, sadly.

For some reason I started thinking of Rocket Girls - kind of the other end you might say - of such a space saga.

Nico M
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to get Last Exile for a long while, it might be time for me to finally doing so. I really love those big airships and the vanships. The world that it takes place in is amazing.

I think I'll eventually get all the Shin-chan Funimation puts out, though I don't know when. Cheap laughs are still laughs. Also, more Monica Rial (who plays Ai) on my shelf cannot be a bad thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Yes! Last Exile gets more props, such a fantastic show and definitely worth checking out for those who like the genre and/or haven't seen it yet, the animation is gorgeous and the story has wonderful hooks with mysteries that get you really involved and thinking about what's going to happen next and a great cast of characters.

Easily still one of my favorite series.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, very nice shelves. And I see you are a Bleach fan. Where are the DVD season sets? Razz I like those swords in the background, too. I have a few swords on display myself.

I've been meaning to get Last Exile as well. Stangely, I was watching the previews on one of my Ai Yori Aoshi DVDs and the Last Exile OP came up, and I knew then that I had to get the show. It may be the only purchase I'll make based solely off an OP, but man, Cloud Age Symphony is just so addicting, especially with the OP's animation.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the way the music and the visuals work together in Last Exile is fantastic, and the OP is a great example of that.

penguintruth wrote:
I've been meaning to get Last Exile for a long while, it might be time for me to finally doing so. I really love those big airships and the vanships. The world that it takes place in is amazing.

I'd say if you like those aspects you should be very pleased with how they come out in the show itself as the setting, vehicles and design work even down to much of the costuming and uniforms are so wonderfully realized in the animation.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="the Rancorous"]^ADV excluded the extras in their thinpack releases, that much is true, but for some reason there were exceptions (RahXephon, Noir, FMP). My thinpacks of Najica, Cromartie, Azudai, Excel Saga and Eva-Platinum have nothing beyond trailers.
[quote]

Newest set for Najica has extras though, there are thinpacks for Eva that have the original extras, plus now Divergence Eve is getting extras in it's newest set, Azumanga Daioh newest set will have extras including the 5 minute long movie, and so forth.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
The only way I'd watch Last Exile again is if it got streamed either on ANN or Funimation's website, because I remember being disappointed by it when it first came out; the women were too emotionally vulnerable, the ending felt rushed and artficial, and what happened to Dio in the end was pointless. Of course, I keep hearing from everybody what a great series it is, which tempts me to buy it and watch it again. But then again, I watched Princess Mononoke three times, because I kept hating it each time and kept rewatching it because everybody keeps saying how great it is and I wonder if I keep missing something (it's the only Ghibli movie I dislike). I long sold back my Last Exile series, and if I watch it again I don't want to feel like I wasted my money if it turns out I still dislike this series. If, however, I do like this series, then I'll add it to my library.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
the women were too emotionally vulnerable

I had the same complaint about Last Exile, especially through the middle section, but at least they mostly pulled themselves together before the end.

On the other hand, it is absolutely gorgeous; the music is rich and very appropriate to the feeling of the series; the setting, as Bamboo said, is wonderful; and when the plot works well (which is only about half the time, unfortunately), it is fantastic. So I have high regards for Last Exile, in toto, but there are definitely some episodes I would be willing to fast-forward through.

Overall, though, totally shelf worthy. IMO. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2